View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 845 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3457457958358418428438448458468478488498558959451345 ... LastLast
Results 12,661 to 12,675 of 21662

In the past few months, I've been putting together a big Aquaman collection. It started when I saw Dick Grayson's bound Peter David books. It's a series I never read but heard so many great things about. And, well, it's Peter David.

So, that said, I started getting all the Peter David. Then I realized I wasn't content, so I got the 1986 limited series, the one shots, other limited series, etc. I even picked up the series after David's - the one that Busiek wrote most of. So, I have everything from 1986 up until new 52 (I think), since I did read the Johns' stuff.

OK, so where am I going with all this?

Well, last night I finished the 7-part Atlantis Chronicles by Peter David.

Folks, this is an amazing read and - one, quite frankly, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy but got it because Peter David is damn good.

Anyway, I noticed that an OHC of the Atlantis Chronicles was on the list to be released.

I'm going to pick it up even though I just read the series. It's a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    In the past few months, I've been putting together a big Aquaman collection. It started when I saw Dick Grayson's bound Peter David books. It's a series I never read but heard so many great things about. And, well, it's Peter David.

So, that said, I started getting all the Peter David. Then I realized I wasn't content, so I got the 1986 limited series, the one shots, other limited series, etc. I even picked up the series after David's - the one that Busiek wrote most of. So, I have everything from 1986 up until new 52 (I think), since I did read the Johns' stuff.

Folks, this is an amazing read and - one, quite frankly, I wasn't sure I'd enjoy but got it because Peter David is damn good.

Anyway, I noticed that an OHC of the Atlantis Chronicles was on the list to be released.

Where would you rank it on Aquaman reads/titles? Or would you say its the definitive Aquaman read?

Simply put, it's the best Aquaman-related comic I ever read. It's almost sad seeing ppl praise Johns' dull New52 run, while this gem is rarely mentioned.

I can't wait to get my hands on Deluxe.

They are a great read, was glad to see them getting collected. I did the Aquaman PAD bind recently love it great to have in a hardcover format.

What's the build quality of Deluxe's these days ?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pjerooo View Post
    Simply put, it's the best Aquaman-related comic I ever read. It's almost sad seeing ppl praise Johns' dull New52 run, while this gem is rarely mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    They are a great read, was glad to see them getting collected. I did the Aquaman PAD bind recently love it great to have in a hardcover format.
    Thanks guys for the rave reviews and for Tom mentioning it initially. It's moved up from my Maybe list to my Wishlist.

Hopefully it leads to a David Aquaman omnibus next year

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Where would you rank it on Aquaman reads/titles? Or would you say its the definitive Aquaman read?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Thanks guys for the rave reviews and for Tom mentioning it initially. It's moved up from my Maybe list to my Wishlist.
    Yes, I've been wanting - for years - to read the David stuff. Just never got around to it. I also want to read his X-Factor (I've read some of it but it looks like I'll have to hunt down the floppies).

Atlantis Chronicles is amazing but keep in mind it's not an Aquaman story. It's the history of Atlantis, beginning when the continent was above water to why it sank, the first King (Orin) and his brother and their lineage.

It touches on Aquaman and there's a somewhat interesting twist toward the end, which may or may not be common knowledge (as I've never read any of the stuff other than Johns' run and I also don't know if any of this has been retconned).

Also, as I noted previously, I put together the set from 1986 and up, I want to note that Keith Giffen has a one-shot and a five-issue limited series (circa 1989) that wasn't too shabby, either. The 1986 series and its subsequent one shot was a little dull although it had nice art and I actually liked the blue camouflage outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Hopefully it leads to a David Aquaman omnibus next year
    That would be great.

Yes, I've been wanting - for years - to read the David stuff. Just never got around to it. I also want to read his X-Factor (I've read some of it but it looks like I'll have to hunt down the floppies).

Atlantis Chronicles is amazing but keep in mind it's not an Aquaman story. It's the history of Atlantis, beginning when the continent was above water to why it sank, the first King (Orin) and his brother and their lineage.

It touches on Aquaman and there's a somewhat interesting twist toward the end, which may or may not be common knowledge (as I've never read any of the stuff other than Johns' run and I also don't know if any of this has been retconned).

Also, as I noted previously, I put together the set from 1986 and up, I want to note that Keith Giffen has a one-shot and a five-issue limited series (circa 1989) that wasn't too shabby, either. The 1986 series and its subsequent one shot was a little dull although it had nice art and I actually liked the blue camouflage outfit.

That would be great.
    Oh excellent. That sounds great. I wad planning on getting it anyway, after I was highly satisfied with Peter David on Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    To help respond to this question here is an example where the differences are more blatant:

Attachment 45146

Attachment 45147

If I understand correctly the version in the absolute book was not newly touched up in term of the coloring as it dated back to 1988, although different from the 1987 version. Does that mean that the printing process used for the collected edition in 1988 has altered the re-coloring?

Another thing I have never noticed before is the fact that since 1988, the collected edition shows more of Mazzucchelli's art in the bottom of some pages:

Attachment 45148
    To better understand Mazzucchelli's desdain for the 2012 deluxe edition of Batman Year One I have decided to buy a cheap copy of the 2005 Chip Kidd hardcover edition overseen by Mazzucchelli.
    Turns out that DC has mainly messed up the overall design, and use plain white glossy paper (i.e. same coloring but different look). But the content is strictly identical between both edition, and 2012 edition is oversized.
    As always, pictures are a better way to present things: http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot...e-edition.html (I have gather all colored edition of Batman year one in one article).

I think I'll just get the fifth JLI trade instead of the omni. Not sure if I wanna continue PAD's Supergirl.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

I wanted to ask for some advice about the new edition of the New Teen Titans Vol. 1 omnibus. I need to make my DCBS pre-order in about a week, and I'm not sure if I want to get this new edition or not. I already have the original edition. Are there any compelling reasons why I should get this newer version? Or is it just unknown at present? Thanks for any opinions you might have.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I think I'll just get the fifth JLI trade instead of the omni. Not sure if I wanna continue PAD's Supergirl.
    Whys that? I loved the new book one that just came out. The issue with Mary Marvel was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Destructo View Post
    I wanted to ask for some advice about the new edition of the New Teen Titans Vol. 1 omnibus. I need to make my DCBS pre-order in about a week, and I'm not sure if I want to get this new edition or not. I already have the original edition. Are there any compelling reasons why I should get this newer version? Or is it just unknown at present? Thanks for any opinions you might have.
    My assumption is the build quality will be consistent with more recent DC omnis, whereas the original print run had a super tight binding. I had a copy I've since sold off, but I remember almost needing industrial equipment to keep it open.

Yeah the binding on TT1 is very tight...I would expect the new edition to be much easier to read