View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 85 of 1444 FirstFirst ... 3575818283848586878889951351855851085 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 21657

Its full issues but they left the john stewart issue out

So this is going to cause some angst.

Just got an email from Barnes & Noble, the Buy 2 get 1 Free is back on for a few days (finishes on the 27th) on all DC books. Absolutes, Omnibus you name it. I priced up JSA Omni, 52 Omni and Absolute Blackest night for fun and came to $200US shipped to NZ so pretty damn cheap like the last couple of times.

Now as a gentle reminder, there has been some anguish about B&N shipping in the past with a lot of books arriving with damage/poor packaging and other books not being shipped and held up for various reasons from the last round of Buy 2 get 1 free. I believe the hold ups were due to pre-ordering. So caveat emptor.

Personally I would order if it wasn't such a heavy month of new release books.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post

Just got an email from Barnes & Noble, the Buy 2 get 1 Free is back on for a few days (finishes on the 27th) on all DC books. Absolutes, Omnibus you name it. I priced up JSA Omni, 52 Omni and Absolute Blackest night for fun and came to $200US shipped to NZ so pretty damn cheap like the last couple of times.

Now as a gentle reminder, there has been some anguish about B&N shipping in the past with a lot of books arriving with damage/poor packaging and other books not being shipped and held up for various reasons from the last round of Buy 2 get 1 free. I believe the hold ups were due to pre-ordering. So caveat emptor.

Personally I would order if it wasn't such a heavy month of new release books.
    Had there not been any complaints about their shipping on this forum, I would've jumped at the opportunity and ordered at least two Absolutes. Chalk one up for Internet forums. I hope B&N become aware of these problems and try to solve them.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Fantastic Member

That's weird but it is not about ALL DC books. Flash omnibus vol. 1 doesn't participate in this program, for example (and I don't know why)

Sup guys. Been away about a month and a half, did I miss anything?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    That's weird but it is not about ALL DC books. Flash omnibus vol. 1 doesn't participate in this program, for example (and I don't know why)
    Maybe because it's only preorder?

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

This might just be what pushes me into picking up some DC books.

If I decide to purchase some, what would be some recommendations? The two DC characters I have the most affinity for are Batman & (to a lesser degree) Superman. Besides the big name runs (Snyder's Batman & Morrison's Action), are any of their New 52 series worth picking up? I'm particularly interested to know if any of the non-Snyder New 52 Bat-books are worth getting, such as Detective, Batman & Robin, and/or Batman: Dark Knight?

As for pre-New 52 DC collections, are there any standouts (again, involving principally Batman and/or Superman)? I'm familiar with the big name books (Year One, DKR, Hush, Morrison's Batman and Superman works). Is it worth reading the various Crisis stories? What about the 52 Omnibus? I know that one is pretty popular with DC fans, but I don't know if it would interest me since my understanding is it mostly spotlights B and C list characters and not the big names (Supes, Bats, WW, GL, Flash, etc).

I know that's a lot of questions, but my familiarity with DC is somewhat limited, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I got into DC with the last 2 for 3 sale, so its a great way to start.
    For New 52, Morrison's Action Comics is supposedly the only good stories collected in trade. For Batman, Snyder's stuff is awesome, and Tomasi's Batman and Robin is apparently very good as well.
    Pre-52, definitely get Morrison's Batman and Son Deluxe Edition. Insanely good, and very inexpensive for its size.
    I have only read Final Crisis, suffice to say I need to re-read to really understand it. It is very complicated and not a good starting point.
    52 is apparently very good, though the Omnibus is pretty expensive. You could probably get the trades for a lot cheaper.
    Otherwise, I would recommend almost anything by Geoff Johns, along with the Grant Morrison and Keith Giffen Justice League runs. They are very different, and insanely good.

P.S.Also, even if you have no interest in Wonder Woman (even though everyone should), read the Azzarello New 52 series. It is AWESOME.

P.S.S. Also, Demon Knights.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post

If I decide to purchase some, what would be some recommendations? The two DC characters I have the most affinity for are Batman & (to a lesser degree) Superman. Besides the big name runs (Snyder's Batman & Morrison's Action), are any of their New 52 series worth picking up? I'm particularly interested to know if any of the non-Snyder New 52 Bat-books are worth getting, such as Detective, Batman & Robin, and/or Batman: Dark Knight?

As for pre-New 52 DC collections, are there any standouts (again, involving principally Batman and/or Superman)? I'm familiar with the big name books (Year One, DKR, Hush, Morrison's Batman and Superman works). Is it worth reading the various Crisis stories? What about the 52 Omnibus? I know that one is pretty popular with DC fans, but I don't know if it would interest me since my understanding is it mostly spotlights B and C list characters and not the big names (Supes, Bats, WW, GL, Flash, etc).

I know that's a lot of questions, but my familiarity with DC is somewhat limited, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
    My recommendations for a new DC reader:
    Morrison's Batman, JLA and Seven Soldiers of Victory. Final Crisis is not a good starting point but it's important for Batman.
    Anything from Geoff Johns pre n52. OK, maybe N52 Aquaman. But I would definitely recommend Green Lantern, Flash and JSA/Justice Society of America and his Superman/Action Comics ( I also love his Superboy story in Adventure comics, drawn by Francis Manapul).
    Brubaker's Catwoman.
    Batgirl/Robin Year One
    Infinite Crisis and 52. 52 is the year after Infinite Crisis so I think you should read IC first.
    I don't like Identity Crisis but that comic ignited a love for DC for a lot of people.
    Sleeper is not in the main DC universe (it's Wildstorm) but it's published by Vertigo and it is awesome!
    Same with Planetary.

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I got into DC with the last 2 for 3 sale, so its a great way to start.
    For New 52, Morrison's Action Comics is supposedly the only good stories collected in trade. For Batman, Snyder's stuff is awesome, and Tomasi's Batman and Robin is apparently very good as well.
    Pre-52, definitely get Morrison's Batman and Son Deluxe Edition. Insanely good, and very inexpensive for its size.
    I have only read Final Crisis, suffice to say I need to re-read to really understand it. It is very complicated and not a good starting point.
    52 is apparently very good, though the Omnibus is pretty expensive. You could probably get the trades for a lot cheaper.
    Otherwise, I would recommend almost anything by Geoff Johns, along with the Grant Morrison and Keith Giffen Justice League runs. They are very different, and insanely good.

P.S.Also, even if you have no interest in Wonder Woman (even though everyone should), read the Azzarello New 52 series. It is AWESOME.

P.S.S. Also, Demon Knights.
    I'll probably check out Final Crisis when I check out Morrison's Batman run. The thing about 52 which concerns me is that Batman and Superman aren't involved, and they're the main reason I'm even interested in checking out any DC books to begin with. I've heard good things about the Azzarello WW run as well, but I think I might wait to see if it gets collected in an Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post

My thoughts on the comics you listed:

-Detective Comics (new 52): wait for the future fifth trade. Prior stories range between medicore and bad.
    -Batman and Robin: In my opinion it's better than Snyder's Batman.
    -The Dark Knight: It embodies everything wrong with the new 52 and the Batman franchise these last years. Don't ever dare to read this. Terrible, terrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    My thoughts on the comics you listed:

-Detective Comics (new 52): wait for the future fifth trade. Prior stories range between medicore and bad.
    That's from Manapul and Bucellato, right? When should it come out? I would really like to read it, the art looks beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    My recommendations for a new DC reader:
    Morrison's Batman, JLA and Seven Soldiers of Victory. Final Crisis is not a good starting point but it's important for Batman.
    Anything from Geoff Johns pre n52. OK, maybe N52 Aquaman. But I would definitely recommend Green Lantern, Flash and JSA/Justice Society of America and his Superman/Action Comics ( I also love his Superboy story in Adventure comics, drawn by Francis Manapul).
    Brubaker's Catwoman.
    Batgirl/Robin Year One
    Infinite Crisis and 52. 52 is the year after Infinite Crisis so I think you should read IC first.
    I don't like Identity Crisis but that comic ignited a love for DC for a lot of people.
    Sleeper is not in the main DC universe (it's Wildstorm) but it's published by Vertigo and it is awesome!
    Same with Planetary.
    DC's Crisis events are not for beginners. The only one that can be picked up as a story without prior knowledge of the universe is Identity Crisis. The others are great only if you go in with a decent understanding of what you're reading (you may find *some* fun reading them). Also: New 52's Aquaman, Flash and Justice League have great entertainment value.

My favourite DC titles are All-Star Superman (Morrison at an understandable level and the most awe-inspiring Superman story ever IMO) and Green Lantern: Rebirth (the finest "return of a legend" story I've read in comics).

These are obviously stories you've heard of time and time again, so to be different, I'll mention one of my favourite Batman stories that never gets the credit it deserves: Venom.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

BANNED

I'm trying to order Watchmen, V for Vendetta and Doom Patrol Omnibus but i'm not getting the discount for some reason, any help guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    That's from Manapul and Bucellato, right? When should it come out? I would really like to read it, the art looks beautiful.
    Yes, it's from Manapul and Bucellato. It will sadly take a long time because they have just started and DC is very slow releasing trades of newers stuff.