View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 852 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3527528028428488498508518528538548558568629029521352 ... LastLast
Results 12,766 to 12,780 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    DC should really follow Marvel in regards to collecting classic runs.
    400-500 pages each trade with no less than 5-6 months between each one, like the Priest BP run.
    With their pace I'll be dead before they collect most of these runs.
    True. I'm impatient, but at least there's enough content to go around to hold one over.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Harmless unintentional statements that remind me, damn, I'm getting older!! I read those month-to-month in the 90s when I was a 20-ish person and now they are "old series". LOL!!!

Those are good, not just nostalgic good but good reads!!
    I said older!!! Old stories to me would.probably be the 70s era. Since the 90s, there's been a massive amount of content and changes to comics, which is why I mentioned as an older series. Didnt mean to make you feel old.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesanmich View Post
    DC should really follow Marvel in regards to collecting classic runs.
    400-500 pages each trade with no less than 5-6 months between each one, like the Priest BP run.
    With their pace I'll be dead before they collect most of these runs.
    HAHA!!! You sound like me.
    It seems it takes forever to release all the chunky TPB's of old series.
    I'm in my mid 40's but by the time I finally get everything collected that I want, then get them bound, It will be time to put them up for sale and check into the nursing home! :0
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Spectacular Member

Its funny...I have found DC's approach to reprinting stories from the late 1990's and early 2000s to be especially quick. They have moved thru a good portion of Batman and satellite books like Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey and Batgirl fairly quickly. I would rather see that than Marvel's sporadic and random Epic line distribution.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Its funny...I have found DC's approach to reprinting stories from the late 1990's and early 2000s to be especially quick. They have moved thru a good portion of Batman and satellite books like Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey and Batgirl fairly quickly. I would rather see that than Marvel's sporadic and random Epic line distribution.
    But the appeal of the epic line is to fill in gaps that aren't covered by the omni's and other classic/ultimate/complete/visionaries fat trades. Thats the reason its all over the place. Marvel made them knowing this which is why the volume number is in the back, they know what they're doing. DC as of now has barely any omni's nor do they have alot of material already collected in the fat trade format. I don't think it was until the last few years they decided to collect more classic stuff in fat trades, even then I feel like it's slow as molasses. Those ones you've listed have come out on a pretty good schedule but take a look at the contents, they're almost always in the 200-300 page range, similar to the Perez TT and Ostrander Suicide Squad books. Look at the release date/page counts for the Marvel trades like Priest BP, Runaways, Remender UXF, etc. they pump em out fast and they are fat content wise, like 400-500 pages fat. I take a look back at some of the visionaries/classic trades and yeah, they're smaller, but no one's complaining because Marvel's put them out in omni form already. And maybe some have gone OOP, but alot of them have also gotten reprints.
    Last edited by Thesanmich; 03-31-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

My recent haul of DC Collected Editions:

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

The Superman Cover To Cover OHC is a thing of beauty, in particular, if you're a fan of Superman. I picked it up new at clearance around $20 which is a great price in Europe.

Before purchasing, I asked on this thread if anyone had it as it was listed as an HC with no info regarding size as I wasn't keen on getting it if it was a regular sized HC. No one replied or seemed to have it so I took the risk and ordered it and I have absolutely no regrets.

The paper is extremely high quality, it's as tall as a regular OHC but a couple of cm, maybe an inch and a half wider. I highly recommend it. There's also a Batman one out there. If it's going at clearance, I'll pick it up even though I'm not a massive Batman fan.

Question on a few books:

So I see they are running the Challengers of the Unknown in a fat(ish) TPB, as well as Kirby's "Super Powers".
    I also know that both of these were released in a "Kirby Omnibus" HC format awhile ago, with ~the same contents.

Those Kirby Omnibuses, those were NOT oversized, correct? They were standard sized?
    My point being, if I can nab these books used in HC vs. new TPB, and they're about the same price, I might as well scour ebay and the like and try to get these instead of getting the new TPBS at the end of the year.

Anyone know the quality of those books? Good quality? Good reproduction? I have no issue getting TPBs instead, but if I can get a better book for ~same price I'll do that.
    I am bummed about Challengers, though. I was hoping for an omni ala Doom Patrol, but I realize this new TPB has Kirby attached to it, so there's that... Thanks for replies.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Question on a few books:

So I see they are running the Challengers of the Unknown in a fat(ish) TPB, as well as Kirby's "Super Powers".
    I also know that both of these were released in a "Kirby Omnibus" HC format awhile ago, with ~the same contents.

Those Kirby Omnibuses, those were NOT oversized, correct? They were standard sized?
    My point being, if I can nab these books used in HC vs. new TPB, and they're about the same price, I might as well scour ebay and the like and try to get these instead of getting the new TPBS at the end of the year.

Anyone know the quality of those books? Good quality? Good reproduction? I have no issue getting TPBs instead, but if I can get a better book for ~same price I'll do that.
    I am bummed about Challengers, though. I was hoping for an omni ala Doom Patrol, but I realize this new TPB has Kirby attached to it, so there's that... Thanks for replies.
    They are not oversized books and the quality is okay, I can take some pictures of them if you want. I have them all minus the second volume of boy commandos.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    They are not oversized books and the quality is okay, I can take some pictures of them if you want. I have them all minus the second volume of boy commandos.
    If you could take a pic of the Super Powers one and the Challengers one, that's be great. Pages good, crisp, clear, etc...? Thanks a lot!
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate

Fantastic Member

If you don't mind newsprint, I can attest that the hardcovers are fairly decent reprints. I much prefer the texture of pulp with Kirby's art on top than the slickness of higher quality paper. But, then there's the issue of yellowing.

There may be a pattern to the DC fat trades forming, which is solicitations for a new volume appear when the last volume ships.

The paper is the same in both books.

image1 (7).jpg
    image3 (2).jpg
    image4 (2).jpg

thanks to everyone for their replies. Very helpful!

Fantastic Member

So Superman: Man of Tomorrow Book 1 and Justice League Breakdown will publish on Wednesday?
    According to Dc's website, yes! But i couldn't find them on IST or Amazon

Fantastic Member

Also The Flintstones Vol. 1 doing wonders on Amazon.
    Last time i checked it was number one DC book and #906 in general books!
    Well deserved!