View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 861 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3617618118518578588598608618628638648658719119611361 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,915 of 21672

Thanks for the honest review. I really dig Johns but he is not immune to pooping it up sometimes.

Spectacular Member

I want to get these JLA books, but Im so afraid they'll just omni and Ill have to double dip like with his GL. Sigh decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by DCJdog View Post
    Thanks for the honest review. I really dig Johns but he is not immune to pooping it up sometimes.
    Its not bad by any means... Honestly, from what I feel, I think someone above Johns, or a collective team Said they needed a massive event for Divergence, (Aka: the DCYOU) one they realized Convergence was mainly going to annoy people. So they asked Johns to come back with a massive large scale event. Sure the pieces were set up at the end of Forever Evil, but it all feels...slapped together. More of everything conveniently in place, rather than everything planned/mapped out. Of course, by the time it started, Rebirth was coming along, so they told him to make it merge with the beginning of that. His Rebirth #1 special was far better, so maybe he used all his talent for that? Regardless, like most events, it was mainly a cash grab, that they ultimately lost interest in, due to Rebirth.

Again, Forever Evil was much Better. As was Throne of Atlantis.

I have no problem buying the Darkseid War omnibus, in fact that cover art looks great,but what about the other 40 some issues and events and crossovers before it? If they released it cohesively, I'd buy them

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I have no problem buying the Darkseid War omnibus, in fact that cover art looks great,but what about the other 40 some issues and events and crossovers before it? If they released it cohesively, I'd buy them
    A Justice League by Johns.(N52) omni does make sense. It would only take 2 volumes, depending on what they deem as important content. I'm sure the Aquaman issues for Throne of Atlantis, as well as Forever Evil mini series would be included. That is strange how there was never a Forever Evil Omnibus though. Sure a lot of the tie in.mini aeries was mediocre, but there was enough content.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    A Justice League by Johns.(N52) omni does make sense. It would only take 2 volumes, depending on what they deem as important content. I'm sure the Aquaman issues for Throne of Atlantis, as well as Forever Evil mini series would be included. That is strange how there was never a Forever Evil Omnibus though. Sure a lot of the tie in.mini aeries was mediocre, but there was enough content.
    And isn't the first arc or two of the N52 JL by him and Lee getting an Absolute?

I wish they would just stick with one format for a run and go with that. It makes me just want to stick with trades

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Really wish that Grayson omnibus had the Nightwing series that came before it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Wasn't the final issue of the Nightwing series sort of a prelude or set up to Grayson? Shouldn't that be included as well?
    I tweeted Seeley and King earlier today about if they could get Nightwing 30 included in the omnibus, but I haven't heard from either of them...sooooo

I mean, we were able to get JSA omnibus 1 changed to include those couple issues int he beginning Johns didn't write, so it's possible to get this added.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

And isn't the first arc or two of the N52 JL by him and Lee getting an Absolute?

I wish they would just stick with one format for a run and go with that. It makes me just want to stick with trades
    Yes, and let me tell you, THAT is the worst thing Johns has written. It's the only thing I've ever read by him that I would describe as awful.

Origin and the second arc are awful, Throne of Atlantis is good, Trinity War is dogshit (not on Johns's head), Forever Evil is awesome, the follow-up issues are decent for what they are, and Darkseid War is a disappointing mess but readable.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to bring myself to buy that Absolute. That's two now I'll have skipped, the other being Year One since it's such a ripoff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Yes, and let me tell you, THAT is the worst thing Johns has written. It's the only thing I've ever read by him that I would describe as awful.

Origin and the second arc are awful, Throne of Atlantis is good, Trinity War is dogshit (not on Johns's head), Forever Evil is awesome, the follow-up issues are decent for what they are, and Darkseid War is a disappointing mess but readable.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to bring myself to buy that Absolute. That's two now I'll have skipped, the other being Year One since it's such a ripoff.
    Wow that first arc was a turd. Remember the part where Batman just randomly decides to run down the road without his mask?

Ah Year One. I really want to own it but I just can't see myself paying for it - even at 50 percent off. It's a $75 Absolute at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Wow that first arc was a turd. Remember the part where Batman just randomly decides to run down the road without his mask?

Ah Year One. I really want to own it but I just can't see myself paying for it - even at 50 percent off. It's a $75 Absolute at the most.
    Origins is a perfect example of a story that is a lot of fun on the surface, but any closer examination of It; reveals how bad it is. His second arc was decent, but lackluster and predictable. Trinity War...ah. It could've been great, it had a lot of potential...but it fell flat and ultimately was just a dumb way to set up Forever Evil, which was good..flawed, but good.

Also, I believe similar to Snyders Batman, its getting a 3 volume box set? Said to include the first three volumes in a cool looking box set.

In retrospect... Most of Johns JL was subpar.

Oh, and just because I remembered Trinity War; I actually loved Justice League Dark. I know a lot of people hated how it messed with continuity, and how it became superhero magic guys doing superhero stuff, but I enjoyed it (Blight was...just too long. Not the writers fault though).

I also really liked the first JLA. the N52 had this mindset of evolving a team lead by Waller, from Team 7, to Suicide Squad to JLA. Of course, it was all just set up for Trinity War/ Forever Evil, but the idea that Waller was using these kind hearted, and somewhat lesser popular characters (Martian Manhunter was an exception, but Stargirl and Vibe <3), to do Wallers morally questionable bidding presented for excellent and complex story telling...too bad it never went Anywhere.

Going way off topic, but then there was Justice League United, which took too long in story arcs, and lost interest among its fans. I remember being really excited DC was releasing a new, female, Canadian hero, Equinox onto the the team, and they never did anything with her. I guess she didnt gain the same traction as other new characters, like say Bluebird/Harper Row? Regardless, again, a team similar to the concept idea of Justice League Detroit, or even International, with lesser known, sometimes younger heroes, entering the ranks of "Justice League".

More N52 mysteries: Where did Vibe ever and up? What about Elemental Woman and that new Doom Patrol? They can't be the same as the Young Animal Doom Patrol? Same universe? That BIG RETURN OF A BELOVED DC CHARACTER AT THE END OF FOREVER EVIL (aka Ted Lord) never came to anything either. I wonder what plans Johns had. Sorry for the web Of N52 mysteries.

The cover for the Darkseid War omni is pretty cool. And that's coming from a guy who prefers minimalist art design.

On a side note, I wish they would do an omni of John's and Donner's run on Superman.

I'm just gonna pick up the new deluxe coming later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by PLEDGE View Post
    The cover for the Darkseid War omni is pretty cool. And that's coming from a guy who prefers minimalist art design.

On a side note, I wish they would do an omni of John's and Donner's run on Superman.
    This. Such a good run, until it falls apart when John's leaves on the World of Krpyton and they all die and no one thinks it's a big deal that and entire race was obliterated

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'm just gonna pick up the new deluxe coming later this year.

This. Such a good run, until it falls apart when John's leaves on the World of Krpyton and they all die and no one thinks it's a big deal that and entire race was obliterated
    I unabashedly love the New Krypton Saga, but dear god the ending is awful. They could think of a better ending than just slaughtering all of them? Just have Superman decide to come back!
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    I unabashedly love the New Krypton Saga, but dear god the ending is awful. They could think of a better ending than just slaughtering all of them? Just have Superman decide to come back!
    Pretty much. It was some of the best Superman related stories I've read in years, and the talent on the books was great, but the ending just completely falls apart. I guess they knew N52 was coming and it didn't matter? Either way, I'd probably still buy it, but only if they collect it correctly(interweaving it with Busiek's stint and incorporating all of the one shots and tie ins)

Whoa! Holy crap! I just realized that Swamp Thing is soliciting more than just the original series but also the second volume all the way up to the Alan Moore run. Wow! Maybe that means ....
    So (off the top of my head) this includes no's 1 to 19 (or was it 20) when swampy discovers he isn't a 'muck encrusted mockery of a man' but actually a plant?

So this means I can get rid of my saga of the swamp thing regular hc?