View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 870 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3707708208608668678688698708718728738748809209701370 ... LastLast
Results 13,036 to 13,050 of 21672
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    By the way, anyone who's curious, Waid's Flash V.2 is pretty excellent. It starts off a little slow, but the final arc is amazing. The afterward is perfectly fitting as well. My only gripe is the Flash Annual #6, which was part of the much larger 1993, Bloodlines event. It barely has anything to do with the story, and its placed abruptly in the climax of the story arc. I understand how the arc ends on a high note, and thus a good way to end the trade as well...but still.

Regardless, I'm.pleased they maintained the GL issues, and they included all the material needed.
    Return of Barry Allen is probably the best Flash story ever. The only real competition is Geoff Johns' Blitz. (And for me, Flash: Rebirth, but I'm certainly in the extreme minority on that')

Yeah, as scummy as Jones apparently is, I still want to have the story in complete form. Both Waid and us readers deserve that much.
    Cyclops was right

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Yeah, as scummy as Jones apparently is, I still want to have the story in complete form. Both Waid and us readers deserve that much.
    I agree. I was particularly pleased that the release went forward with the GL crossover issues.

Now we just need to get those JLI omnibi released. I'm hoping that since Jones was not the primary writer on those (he scripted JLE issues #14-35 over Giffen's plots and wrote #36) the volumes will come out with all the related issues.

Return of Barry Allen is probably the best Flash story ever. The only real competition is Geoff Johns' Blitz. (And for me, Flash: Rebirth, but I'm certainly in the extreme minority on that')

Having access to Johns' run, I read Blitz first, and found many similarities between the two. I'm sure Johns took inspiration from Waid.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Having access to Johns' run, I read Blitz first, and found many similarities between the two. I'm sure Johns took inspiration from Waid.
    The way the runs are built plays off of each other: Waid built up Wally and the supporting cast, and Johns revamped the villains, and told new stories using their combined set up.

And then DC took a giant steaming pile on all of that.
    Cyclops was right

The way the runs are built plays off of each other: Waid built up Wally and the supporting cast, and Johns revamped the villains, and told new stories using their combined set up.

And then DC took a giant steaming pile on all of that.
    Its strange, because I again, I read thongs backwards. Per say. I read Flash Rebirth before anything, and enjoyed it, but was still confused. Looking back on it now with all my knew Flash knowledge, I appreciate it so much more

What's the difference between Deluxe, Omnibus, and Absolute?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RememberCaseyJones View Post
    What's the difference between Deluxe, Omnibus, and Absolute?
    On a very simple level the only difference between deluxe and omnibus is page count. The page size and quality should be pretty much the same but an omnibus will be the equivalent of several deluxe stapled together.

An Absolute has a much bigger page size than a deluxe edition and comes with a slipcase and is generally considered the best possible version of the book, see soemthing like this video for a comparison between the COIE deluxe and Absolute, but remember that the Absolute came out many years before the deluxe.

Incredible Member

By the way, anyone who's curious, Waid's Flash V.2 is pretty excellent. It starts off a little slow, but the final arc is amazing. The afterward is perfectly fitting as well. My only gripe is the Flash Annual #6, which was part of the much larger 1993, Bloodlines event. It barely has anything to do with the story, and its placed abruptly in the climax of the story arc. I understand how the arc ends on a high note, and thus a good way to end the trade as well...but still.

Regardless, I'm.pleased they maintained the GL issues, and they included all the material needed.
    Same here, I would have not bought this trade if the GL issues were skipped, its also nice to get GL 40 included as it was missing in the previous "Secret of Barry Allen" TPB

I have to say Annual 5 (Eclipso Tie in) included in Vol 1 was awful, the story made no sense what so ever and it was the only bad issue in the entire TPB!

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Same here, I would have not bought this trade if the GL issues were skipped, its also nice to get GL 40 included as it was missing in the previous "Secret of Barry Allen" TPB

I have to say Annual 5 (Eclipso Tie in) included in Vol 1 was awful, the story made no sense what so ever and it was the only bad issue in the entire TPB!
    GL issue 40 also felt...just a smidge out of place. For context, Wally was just presumed dead, and then GL is called in to take down a Rampaging Barry Allen. I was Lost for a few pages

Is there a DC/Vertigo "most wanted Omnibus Secret Ballot" like the one they are making with marvel right now?

Some of my most wanted DC Omnis have been solicited so I was curious about everyones most wanted!
    Among them I have: Animal Man Omnibus vol. 2 (Animal Man (vol. 1) #27-63), Animal Man by Jeff Lemire Omnibus, Hellblazer by Ennis Omnibus, Question by Dennis O'Neil Omnibus, Astro city Omnibus, Hitman by Ennis Omnibus, Aquaman by Peter David and The Question by Rick Veitch

And of course most peoples #1 has been decided for years (Moore Swamp Thing?)

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoramos View Post
    Is there a DC/Vertigo "most wanted Omnibus Secret Ballot" like the one they are making with marvel right now?

Some of my most wanted DC Omnis have been solicited so I was curious about everyones most wanted!
    Among them I have: Animal Man Omnibus vol. 2 (Animal Man (vol. 1) #27-63), Animal Man by Jeff Lemire Omnibus, Hellblazer by Ennis Omnibus, Question by Dennis O'Neil Omnibus, Astro city Omnibus, Hitman by Ennis Omnibus, Aquaman by Peter David and The Question by Rick Veitch

And of course most peoples #1 has been decided for years (Moore Swamp Thing?)
    There's a DC fat tbp and the like thread. A Jeff Lemire Animal Man would sell one copy to me. Its arguably NY favorite N52 run/series.

I'd also take any Question series in reprint. Including the later Montoya saga.

Was at East Coast Comic Con yesterday, pretty good show. Picked up a bunch of trades, but didn't see too many hardcovers or anything.

Met Mike Grell, really nice guy, talked to me for a few minutes, charged $5 per autograph. Had my Longbow Hunters trade signed as well the GL/GA Retrospective issue that was published a few years ago he did with Denny O'Neil. He had a panel talk Saturday, which I missed.

Denny was also there. This guy was a champ, signed as many as you wanted, no charge. He's a lot older than I thought he was. He couldn't really hear, but his wife was there helping him, had a hard time walking. He had a panel talk of Saturday, which I was bummed to miss(was only there Sunday). But he's still sharp as ever. Had him sign 4 things, Question 1, Batman/GA Poison Tomorrow, the GL/GA Retrospective, and the GL/GA Absolute. He commented on the Absolute, saying he has about 7 of them. Ha!

George Perez was supposed to be there, but was in the hospital due to a heart condition. Heard he's doing better.

Yanick Paquette signed my Swamp Thing deluxe - nice guy, no charge, chatted with him for a few minutes.

Keith Giffen was there too, nice guy, no charge, had my Infinite Crisis omnibus, 52 omnibus, and Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest signed.

Marv Wolfman was there, had my CoIE Absolute signed. First was free, then $5 for each after. He had a panel talk Sunday, which I was able to sit in on. Nice guy. The panel was mostly dominated by NTT talk(of course) and the Judas Contract(double of course), which he kind of lamented about as that's what everyone always wanted to talk about. Learned a few new things, mostly about his exit from writing NTT after 16 years because of an Editor which upper management at DC wasn't aware of. They found out and that Editor is no longer in the business, but the damage was done. Also learned a bit about Terra that she was basically a response to Kitty Pryde, that Marv just wanted to mess with Marvel, and have her be evil and manipulative and crazy and that she would never be redeemed. Kinda funny

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Was at East Coast Comic Con yesterday, pretty good show. Picked up a bunch of trades, but didn't see too many hardcovers or anything.

Met Mike Grell, really nice guy, talked to me for a few minutes, charged $5 per autograph. Had my Longbow Hunters trade signed as well the GL/GA Retrospective issue that was published a few years ago he did with Denny O'Neil. He had a panel talk Saturday, which I missed.

Denny was also there. This guy was a champ, signed as many as you wanted, no charge. He's a lot older than I thought he was. He couldn't really hear, but his wife was there helping him, had a hard time walking. He had a panel talk of Saturday, which I was bummed to miss(was only there Sunday). But he's still sharp as ever. Had him sign 4 things, Question 1, Batman/GA Poison Tomorrow, the GL/GA Retrospective, and the GL/GA Absolute. He commented on the Absolute, saying he has about 7 of them. Ha!

George Perez was supposed to be there, but was in the hospital due to a heart condition. Heard he's doing better.

Yanick Paquette signed my Swamp Thing deluxe - nice guy, no charge, chatted with him for a few minutes.

Keith Giffen was there too, nice guy, no charge, had my Infinite Crisis omnibus, 52 omnibus, and Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest signed.

Marv Wolfman was there, had my CoIE Absolute signed. First was free, then $5 for each after. He had a panel talk Sunday, which I was able to sit in on. Nice guy. The panel was mostly dominated by NTT talk(of course) and the Judas Contract(double of course), which he kind of lamented about as that's what everyone always wanted to talk about. Learned a few new things, mostly about his exit from writing NTT after 16 years because of an Editor which upper management at DC wasn't aware of. They found out and that Editor is no longer in the business, but the damage was done. Also learned a bit about Terra that she was basically a response to Kitty Pryde, that Marv just wanted to mess with Marvel, and have her be evil and manipulative and crazy and that she would never be redeemed. Kinda funny
    Its odd, but when they charge for autographs, I dont mind mind. However, if they're free, I'm more inclined to buy more, especially from them. Those guys sound awesome.

I remember I met Phil Hester at a con, and got him to sign my Absolute GA by Kevin Smith. He also threw in a little GA doodle, And then asked me if I was going to get Ande Parks to sign it as well. I was unaware he was at the same con. When I found him, he opened my book, and scoffed. He said something like "Hester thinks he's so cool does he...?" And also threw in a doodle in my book. Both. extremely cool guys. Now I just need Smith to sign with a GA doodle.

Its odd, but when they charge for autographs, I dont mind mind. However, if they're free, I'm more inclined to buy more, especially from them. Those guys sound awesome.

I remember I met Phil Hester at a con, and got him to sign my Absolute GA by Kevin Smith. He also threw in a little GA doodle, And then asked me if I was going to get Ande Parks to sign it as well. I was unaware he was at the same con. When I found him, he opened my book, and scoffed. He said something like "Hester thinks he's so cool does he...?" And also threw in a doodle in my book. Both. extremely cool guys. Now I just need Smith to sign with a GA doodle.
    Yeah, charging is weird. Denny didn't charge but was taking donation for Hero Initiative, which I threw a couple bucks in. Same with a few other guys. I don't mind, it's to deter people from bringing longboxes and signing 200 issues, which to me is completely excessive. But with Grell for example, I had a bout 12 things I would have like signed from throughout his career, but $5 per would have been way too much.

Fabian Nicieza was there too, but was charging 10 per signature. That was a nope

I met J.G. Jones a couple years ago at the Baltimore Con, and he did an Ampersand marker sketch in my Y Last Man deluxe 1, which was cool. Same with Jonathan Luna, did a sketch in my Sword Deluxe at the same con.

I met Geof Darrow too and he sketched a few, but I'll post that in the General Omnibus thread
    Last edited by ER Prest; 05-01-2017 at 08:13 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post

What did you lug those books around in?