View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 881 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3817818318718778788798808818828838848858919319811381 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,215 of 21670
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I never pre-order either. I get 90% of my books from CGN and just wait until the day they release the books, which is usually before Amazon.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    How is the Justice League Bronze age omnibus?
    I'm about half way through and I've been really enjoying it, theres some problems with the story telling that come from stories of this age, lots of random twists at the end of the story to solve the problem at hand but its been fun watching these super hero comics learn to become more socially and politically aware.

Dick Dillins art I thought was a little rough in patches in the early issues of the book but it seems to improve with every issue and you get some absolute great panels of the justice league fighting giant robots and such.

Also the introduction of Black Canary from Earth-2 is amusing, she starts off having no idea how her brand spanking new sonic powers (the canary cry) works, and the writers keep making up random **** that her new sonic powers are capable of (in one issue she literally is able to read one womans mind with her sonic power), theres also some awkward retro casual misogyny thrown in (see pic)

WP_20170515_21_17_55_Pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I'm about half way through and I've been really enjoying it, theres some problems with the story telling that come from stories of this age, lots of random twists at the end of the story to solve the problem at hand but its been fun watching these super hero comics learn to become more socially and politically aware.

Dick Dillins art I thought was a little rough in patches in the early issues of the book but it seems to improve with every issue and you get some absolute great panels of the justice league fighting giant robots and such.

Also the introduction of Black Canary from Earth-2 is amusing, she starts off having no idea how her brand spanking new sonic powers (the canary cry) works, and the writers keep making up random **** that her new sonic powers are capable of (in one issue she literally is able to read one womans mind with her sonic power), theres also some awkward retro casual misogyny thrown in (see pic)

Sounds saucy. We need mind reading Canary back

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    DC needs to uncancel a bunch of trades that were supposed to come out but they cancelled.

Where is Norm Breyfogle HC Vol 2? Where is the Kelley Jones Moench Batman run HC Vol 2?
    They cancelled those? Noooooooooooooooooo!

Those were *must buys* for me.

Also, I really hope they resolicit or repackage the Man of Tomorrow material - the Stern Superman stuff is possibly the best post-Crisis Superman run. The period between Byrne is Doomsday is actually better than either the Byrne of the Doomsday eras.

And I hope Sandman Mystery Theater isn't actually cancelled - I was really looking forward to that.

All this great stuff cancelled, and yet we still get things like a Hush coloring book....

As for preordering, I don't do that myself, and I don't think they should rely on that for deciding to cancel books.

Just a general question: what sites do you frequent for news on trades or upcoming collections? Comiclist and previewsworld are great, but are there any others worth checking out?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post

As for preordering, I don't do that myself, and I don't think they should rely on that for deciding to cancel books.
    They shouldn't, but they do.

It's the reason I have a lot of Vol. 1's with no follow up; I pre-order pretty much everything to A.) ensure the best price and B.) show my measly support (which is obviously worth nothing ).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    They cancelled those? Noooooooooooooooooo!

Those were *must buys* for me.
    Yeah, me too, but have they cancelled them or are they just lost in the shuffle? I know Breyfogle 2 was up on Amazon at one point, got pushed way back then I believe it vanished altogether (similar thing happened with Rucka post-NML and it's due to be released soon), but I never even saw a Moench/Jones 2. Never really heard anything official on either of those being shelved or just delayed, but I might have missed something. Definitely would be a damn shame if they did. I hated the Moench/Jones run when it was coming out (too much of a jolt for my Aparo-ite sensibilities), but really enjoyed the collection 20-odd years later.

Very similar to lines they used on Sue Storm also, ended up grabbing it looking forward to it. Currently reading the Brave and the Bold Bronze Age omni and it is insane what they used to say it is horrible, but I just laugh at it now. They had a story with the Atom and in the end a midget becomes normal sized and first thing said to her is now that you are normal sized we can get married, just horribly poor taste thankfully times have changed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Very similar to lines they used on Sue Storm also, ended up grabbing it looking forward to it. Currently reading the Brave and the Bold Bronze Age omni and it is insane what they used to say it is horrible, but I just laugh at it now. They had a story with the Atom and in the end a midget becomes normal sized and first thing said to her is now that you are normal sized we can get married, just horribly poor taste thankfully times have changed.
    Yeah, the attitudes displayed in some of these older comics is quite something, at the time most of it had no ill intent but its the kind of stuff you (quite rightly) couldn't get away with these days.

I can't find it in me to be angry or outraged about any of it though, I treat with a kind of bemused amusement. If anything having these books act as insight into wider cultural attitudes adds to their value as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, the attitudes displayed in some of these older comics is quite something, at the time most of it had no ill intent but its the kind of stuff you (quite rightly) couldn't get away with these days.

I can't find it in me to be angry or outraged about any of it though, I treat with a kind of bemused amusement. If anything having these books act as insight into wider cultural attitudes adds to their value as far as I'm concerned.
    I think some writers were a bit worse than others. The example above feels like a part of GA's character while Reed's excessive misogyny in FF felt to me like Stan Lee's general approach to female characters. Also I've read strips from the 30's and 40's that gave female characters more dignified roles than Lee gave to Sue.
    Sometimes I can be amused but sometimes I can't take it. FF was probably the worst but Flash Gordon was pretty close too.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think some writers were a bit worse than others. The example above feels like a part of GA's character while Reed's excessive misogyny in FF felt to me like Stan Lee's general approach to female characters. Also I've read strips from the 30's and 40's that gave female characters more dignified roles than Lee gave to Sue.
    Sometimes I can be amused but sometimes I can't take it. FF was probably the worst but Flash Gordon was pretty close too.
    The early uses of Sue by Lee were horrible and it happened quite a few times. Thankfully they have made her bad ass since those days.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I hate stan lee's writing so much, he might possibly be the most famous terrible writer I can think of. Its a shame he did so much work with Jack Kirby, because I love Jack Kirby hence why I still own the 3 FF Omni even though I find Lee's writing insufferable

Wonder Woman Omni V.2 is on IST for 50% off at 49.99. Kind of annoyed how it won't qualify for free shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Wonder Woman Omni V.2 is on IST for 50% off at 49.99. Kind of annoyed how it won't qualify for free shipping
    That's how they get you man, they just rope you in haha. I pre ordered it on Amazon a few months back when the price was 46, and it went down to 37 later, so I have it locked it at that price. One of the few times I'll order from Amazon is from their glitches and pre order guarantee.

Also, has anyone purchased one of DC's "Gallery Edition" books? I figure they're essentially artist editions? Can anyone weigh in?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    That's how they get you man, they just rope you in haha. I pre ordered it on Amazon a few months back when the price was 46, and it went down to 37 later, so I have it locked it at that price. One of the few times I'll order from Amazon is from their glitches and pre order guarantee.

Also, has anyone purchased one of DC's "Gallery Edition" books? I figure they're essentially artist editions? Can anyone weigh in?
    I did the same thing. Only downside is that its not getting shipped out for like a week.
    Cyclops was right