View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 897 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 3977978478878938948958968978988999009019079479971397 ... LastLast
Results 13,441 to 13,455 of 21672
    Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Not sure you actually answered my question...but yes, I'm well aware of it's "reputation". More interested b/c of Lee, but I've also heard from others it's fun in its outlandishness.
    Then yeah, it ends super abruptly. Batman and Robin disappear halfway through the last issue.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl70 View Post
    Gosh, this book seems pricey for 144 pages.
    I have it in trade and enjoyed it. I would love to upgrade but even at 52% off $35 at IST, I'm not sure that I will.
    For $32 bucks at a HC, its not bad at all. I'm not trying to bash it, or judge others, but its not my thing. I dont have an affinity for it, the way others do, so thats a solid no for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    For $32 bucks at a HC, its not bad at all. I'm not trying to bash it, or judge others, but its not my thing. I dont have an affinity for it, the way others do, so thats a solid no for me.
    I understand. My rules for buying HC's and Omni's are... I have to like the character to buy it, (I don't buy because of hype), and after buying it, I must want to read it again at some point in my lifetime. We have no children and no cousins that would want all my stuff. So I have to want it to keep it. I have tons of TPB's back to buying again, and I decide then, if I eventually want them custom bound to read again. Otherwise, I eBay them. My problem is, 95% of the time, I like what I read and it's a keeper!
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I understand. My rules for buying HC's and Omni's are... I have to like the character to buy it, (I don't buy because of hype), and after buying it, I must want to read it again at some point in my lifetime. We have no children and no cousins that would want all my stuff. So I have to want it to keep it. I have tons of TPB's back to buying again, and I decide then, if I eventually want them custom bound to read again. Otherwise, I eBay them. My problem is, 95% of the time, I like what I read and it's a keeper!
    I dont mind being cheap and picking up the TPB. It has to be special for me to want the HC.or Omni.

I dont mind being cheap and picking up the TPB. It has to be special for me to want the HC.or Omni.
    I'm addicted to the big books during the Gold and Silver Age... and Bronze too. I feel classic collections during those times deserve to be in nice books on my shelves. After that, I'll stick with the Trades.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1

Hey Vi or anyone else....

I asked this question on the DC Board and no one has answered. Do you have any good guesses?

http://community.comicbookresources....Paper-Question

I asked this question on the DC Board and no one has answered. Do you have any good guesses?

Oh boy. I'm definitely the wrong person to ask. I hardly know about paper. I do know that, as a company, they're constantly looking for cheaper ways to produce mass content, including quality of paper. There's a lot of factor in, like how the inks look, or how durable it is, or just how much cheaper it will be for the Consumer. I'm also pretty young, and have never really purchased month to month comics before, so I couldn't even have a rough guess for you. The best I can come up with, would be around or after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was 1985. I think a big event like that, would be a good use to Debut a new paper quality, similar to Rebirth today. But again, that's just my poorly educated assumption. Its probably wrong, take with the grainiest of salts.

Oh boy. I'm definitely the wrong person to ask. I hardly know about paper. I do know that, as a company, they're constantly looking for cheaper ways to produce mass content, including quality of paper. There's a lot of factor in, like how the inks look, or how durable it is, or just how much cheaper it will be for the Consumer. I'm also pretty young, and have never really purchased month to month comics before, so I couldn't even have a rough guess for you. The best I can come up with, would be around or after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was 1985. I think a big event like that, would be a good use to Debut a new paper quality, similar to Rebirth today. But again, that's just my poorly educated assumption. Its probably wrong, take with the grainiest of salts.
    Hey thanks! At least you shot me with a reply. I just was wondering and paper quality is important to me. Maybe some of the "veteran" collectors here would know.

Hey thanks! At least you shot me with a reply. I just was wondering and paper quality is important to me. Maybe some of the "veteran" collectors here would know.
    Probably. They seem far more knowledgeable about paper quality. I should study up myself. I'll be looking forward to an answer myself.

my guess would be mid 90's after the Image boom. I was observing the phenomenon from across the pond without internet and much comicbook culture to support the flow of information but as far as I know Image upped the ante regarding physical quality to make the books more of a collector's item and I'm pretty sure DC and Marvel followed shortly.

Gosh, this book seems pricey for 144 pages.
    I have it in trade and enjoyed it. I would love to upgrade but even at 52% off $35 at IST, I'm not sure that I will.
    This is one of my favorite story lines ever and even at $35 it's a rip off. I have the first OHC and I'm fine with that. I would have picked up the Absolute edition but I draw the line at highway robbery.

Incredible Member

I only started buying single issues regularly with the New 52 and they were using the good paper quality then, I also have a bunch of The Outsiders back issues from around the IC era and thats on newsprint. So, sometime between those two points is the best I can tell you. Although maybe the bigger selling headline books from around IC were using the better paper by then.

Here's a question for an expert: I've recently bought the Golden age of Batman 3 volumes and have ordered the fourth, my question is what issue does it change to Silver age and roughly how many Golden age volumes would it take to get there. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Here's a question for an expert: I've recently bought the Golden age of Batman 3 volumes and have ordered the fourth, my question is what issue does it change to Silver age and roughly how many Golden age volumes would it take to get there. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Hard to say. Detective Comics #236 and Batman #103 are both considered the first Silver Age issues I believe. Volume 4 is said to collect up to Tec #111 and Batman #35. So by a rough guess, I'd have to say there will be 4 more Omni's. With a total of 8. It could be more.

Incredible Member

Hard to say. Detective Comics #236 and Batman #103 are both considered the first Silver Age issues I believe. Volume 4 is said to collect up to Tec #111 and Batman #35. So by a rough guess, I'd have to say there will be 4 more Omni's. With a total of 8. It could be more.
    If DC use the same GA/SA break point as the archives then the first SA issues are Batman 164 & Detective Comics 327 which are the first "New Look" appearances when Batman gained the yellow symbol on his emblem

Also I have heard from others that the GA Batman Omnibus vol 5 will be the first "new" material collected beyond what was in the archives