View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 91 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091929394951011411915911091 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 21672
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ukbondraider View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Y the last man is an awful comic. It's one of the few titles in my library that I allocated a lot of recent time to. Got to issue 30 something and just couldn't go any further. It was painful getting to issue 10 let alone 30. I bought it due to the excellent reviews. I hope everything I have bought isn't going to be the same let down. Artwork is rubbish too.

I assume the Batman omnibus above is an old title in which case not for me. I might look into Transmet.
    Yup, Adams pencilled Batman in the late 60s and in the early 70s. He is one of the men responsible for making Batman dark again after the campy Adam West version
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Am I the only one that thinks Y the last man is an awful comic.
    You may very well be. At least you're the only one I've heard of or seen express that sentiment. In my opinion, the book is an intelligent, thought-provoking, and brilliant commentary on sex-politics and society's gender roles. In addition to those weighty themes, I find the book hilarious, well-written, and downright literary. Have you tried Ex Machina or Saga? Maybe you're just not a BKV fan? For my money, however, he is one of the medium's greatest treasures.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    You may very well be. At least you're the only one I've heard of or seen express that sentiment. In my opinion, the book is an intelligent, thought-provoking, and brilliant commentary on sex-politics and society's gender roles. In addition to those weighty themes, I find the book hilarious, well-written, and downright literary. Have you tried Ex Machina or Saga? Maybe you're just not a BKV fan? For my money, however, he is one of the medium's greatest treasures.
    Ive yet to read Ex Machina or Saga. Have preodered the Saga Omni on the basis of reviews.

Books like Ex Machina, 100 Bullets, DMZ, Tansmet etc are books I have yet to read or buy purely because they have never looked like books I would like, largely because of their artwork and/or theme. I didn't think I would like Y the last man when flicking through it in a store but decided to persevere with it due to reviews like your statement above. However, I hated the females in the book, I hated the monkey and I hated stories in general.

Well said.
    I wonder how many guys in the world have said: "Gee, I wish I was the only guy on the planet. Think of all the chicks I could bang."
    Yeah . . . heh.
    Doesn't exactly work that way.
    I thought this was a great book. I wasn't entirely keen on the ending. I don't think it sucked, but, well, I don't want to spoil anything for folks here . . .

Books like Ex Machina, 100 Bullets, DMZ, Tansmet etc are books I have yet to read or buy purely because they have never looked like books I would like, largely because of their artwork and/or theme. I didn't think I would like Y the last man when flicking through it in a store but decided to persevere with it due to reviews like your statement above. However, I hated the females in the book, I hated the monkey and I hated stories in general.
    I'm kind of curious: What do you like?

Ive yet to read Ex Machina or Saga. Have preodered the Saga Omni on the basis of reviews.

Saga is a great book, you'll love it. BKV is an awesome writer indeed. The only book I don't really love a lot is Ex Machina. I read till #10 and decided I would rather buy other stuff than continue. But a lot of his other work like Y: The Last Man, Runaways, Saga etc. Are awesome
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Saga is a great book, you'll love it. BKV is an awesome writer indeed. The only book I don't really love a lot is Ex Machina. I read till #10 and decided I would rather buy other stuff than continue. But a lot of his other work like Y: The Last Man, Runaways, Saga etc. Are awesome
    The ending of Ex Machina is, in my opinion, devastatingly powerful. It caused me to consider politicians and the entire political process in a new light. If you've any inclination whatsoever or interest in government and the people who run it, I'd encourage you to see the series through to the end.

I'll echo your endorsement of Runaways. Very different from Y and Ex Machina, but still wonderfully fun. I think the only BKV I remember not caring for was his run on Ultimate X-Men. However, last I read that stuff was when it first came out when I was younger, so it's possible that there's subtext that I didn't appreciate at the time and therefore don't remember now. I also never read his Swamp Thing run, though the recent trades have me interested.

BKV also wrote a really good 6 part mini The Escapists. I absolutely loved it, highly recommended.

The ending of Ex Machina is, in my opinion, devastatingly powerful. It caused me to consider politicians and the entire political process in a new light. If you've any inclination whatsoever or interest in government and the people who run it, I'd encourage you to see the series through to the end.

I'll echo your endorsement of Runaways. Very different from Y and Ex Machina, but still wonderfully fun. I think the only BKV I remember not caring for was his run on Ultimate X-Men. However, last I read that stuff was when it first came out when I was younger, so it's possible that there's subtext that I didn't appreciate at the time and therefore don't remember now. I also never read his Swamp Thing run, though the recent trades have me interested.
    Hmm, I may buy the rest once I can get some hc's cheap then. I also love BKV's Pride of Baghdad and Doctor Strange: The Oath. I love quite a lot from him. He is one of my favorite writers from the 00s and 10s (but my number 1 writer that first appeared on the scene in the early 00s stays Brubaker)

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Although it is a Marvel book, have you ever read his original "The Hood" miniseries he did under the Max imprint? He also did a short run on a Mystique solo around the same time. Both were really good a I highly recommend them. Reading those is what led me to picking up Y: The Last Man, and though I quit around issue #30 (I was out of comics for a bit), it was probably my favorite series at the time. I got quite a chunk of change selling off those original issues!

I'm surprised to read that as most Ultimate X-Men fans considered his run the best the book ever had. His "Hood" series (published under the Marvel MAX label) and his run on Mystique were also quite enjoyable.

Has BKV done any work for DC besides his Vertigo and Wildstorm titles? He seems like he would write a really good Batman or Wonder Woman.

Hmm, I may buy the rest once I can get some hc's cheap then. I also love BKV's Pride of Baghdad and Doctor Strange: The Oath. I love quite a lot from him. He is one of my favorite writers from the 00s and 10s (but my number 1 writer that first appeared on the scene in the early 00s stays Brubaker)
    My first encounter with Brubaker was during the time Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee were doing the "Hush" storyline in Batman. It was the first time I had ever bought a DC series, and I decided to pick up a few other titles to see what they were like as well. IIRC, Bru was doing an arc on Detective Comics at the time that, while very different than Hush, was perhaps even more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind reading those issues again, but I'm not sure if they have ever been reprinted.

I love Y, one of my favorites, but I'm happy with the deluxes. Good art, perfect for the story, but not something I need in Absolute size. Transmetropolitan will be a blind buy, so I'll probably pick up the first and decide from there if I want to continue.

On the plus side, hopefully this foreshadows Preacher getting Absolutes instead of omnibuses when the TV series launches.

Also, DC, I'm still waiting for an Absolute Golden Age by Robinson and Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post
    My first encounter with Brubaker was during the time Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee were doing the "Hush" storyline in Batman. It was the first time I had ever bought a DC series, and I decided to pick up a few other titles to see what they were like as well. IIRC, Bru was doing an arc on Detective Comics at the time that, while very different than Hush, was perhaps even more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind reading those issues again, but I'm not sure if they have ever been reprinted.
    Sadly, his Detective Comics work has not been collected yet. His other Batman stories, like Bruce Wayne: Murderer and Fugitive and Batman: The Man Who Laughs etc. Are collected and also quite good. Brubaker also did a great Wildstorm story called Sleeper, highly recommended. He also was one of the collaborators on the acclaimed Gotham Central, it's a great story for a Dc newbie, and he did great work on Catwoman. Have you read his Marvel works (Captain America, Immortal Iron fist, Books Of Doom etc.)? He also did awesome indie work, especially in collaboration with Phillips. Like Criminal, Incognito, Fatale, Velvet etc. and I bet the upcoming collaboration will be awesome too. Brubaker is a personal favorite of mine

Incredible Member

Is there any logical reason why DC would jump straight to Absolute's instead of doing regular OHC/Deluxes for Transmetropolitan? I don't buy Absolutes, and I don't really want too incase they're putting out Deluxes for this title..

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post
    I'm surprised to read that as most Ultimate X-Men fans considered his run the best the book ever had.
    I'd be happy to revisit and reassess the material if Marvel would ever start up a line of Ultimate X-Men omnis (guess I could go after the OHCs) - but, I'll stop that complaint there as it's better suited for another thread.

I will say that I think some of Bru's best Batman (aside from the obvious Gotham Central masterpiece) is collected in The Man Who Laughs HC / TPB. In addition to the titular one-shot, it also contained a two-part Bru bat story teaming Batman up with Alan Scott to investigate a case that had its roots in pre-Batman Gotham when Alan Scott was the city's defender. Really great story.