View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 941 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 44184189193193793893994094194294394494595199110411441 ... LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,115 of 21671

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B. Quick View Post
    But a $50.00 price increase are going to make a lot of people think twice before buying.
    I guess this line of books isn't going to survive in the long run when all Golden/Silver/Bronze titles sooner or later get to the point of post-archives and get the price boost.
    Or...you could argue that more people will buy it. There were a lot of folks who had the hard cover collections already, so publishing them was not only cheaper, but there were folks who wouldn't double dip. Dropping the price to $75 might have encouraged some double dippers. Now, though, there's more work to be done in the production stage. Also, there are folks who don't have these issue that might now pay more.

It's hard to say. I'm not personally reading them, but I'm glad they're being reprinted.

Will DC put out some JLA by Morrison/Waid/Kelly in omnibus format in the near future? With the movie so close to release you would think they would put it out around the premier but nope. It really makes me want to get the Deluxe Editions but I have read that they skip some issues or some stuff is out of order, is it true? Are they worth it?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarider7 View Post
    Will DC put out some JLA by Morrison/Waid/Kelly in omnibus format in the near future? With the movie so close to release you would think they would put it out around the premier but nope. It really makes me want to get the Deluxe Editions but I have read that they skip some issues or some stuff is out of order, is it true? Are they worth it?
    Someone can probably go into more detail, but i believe the HCs only collect Morrison's stuff, leaving holes for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Someone can probably go into more detail, but i believe the HCs only collect Morrison's stuff, leaving holes for the rest
    Yes, although two preludes - Waid's Year One and his JLA Midsummer's Nightmare - are in OHC (at least Year One is - the other is solicited).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B. Quick View Post
    But a $50.00 price increase are going to make a lot of people think twice before buying.
    I guess this line of books isn't going to survive in the long run when all Golden/Silver/Bronze titles sooner or later get to the point of post-archives and get the price boost.
    Let's all be honest in this regard, the bottom line price hike is me spending $62 instead of $50 cause no one and I mean not one person in these threads is actually spending the MSRP.

So yes, for $12 more dollars I'll pony up for DC Collections Dept taking the time to remaster the material necessary moving forward.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Yes, although two preludes - Waid's Year One and his JLA Midsummer's Nightmare - are in OHC (at least Year One is - the other is solicited).
    Yeah, Midsummer's deluxe is due at the end of October, and Year One deluxe just came out. I can see an omnibus coming soon.

DC doesn't really seem to abide by the whole movie = omnibus thinking Marvel tends to go with, so it's not surprising. They also seem to go in a more chronological order. We're also getting Bronze age and JLI omnibus books, the 90s JLA has to be soon

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I never continued past his run with Willingham though, any good?
    Sadly, no.

After Willingham's run came a JLA/JSA crossover by James Robinson, "Dark Things," that had Jade and Obsidian briefly merge and the Starheart threaten the Earth before Alan tamed it again. (And I am always down for a good Alan Scott story, but with the exception of one cool double-page splash at the end, this wasn't anything to write home about.) After that came the final couple of story arcs, by Marc Guggenheim, with the team fighting some villain that'd been hidden under a small town since the 40s or something, with Alan getting his spine broken and needing to wear a horrendously ugly costume shaped like a lantern (I wish I were kidding) and Jay becoming mayor of the town.

The New 52 ruined a lot of books I was reading. It caused a major status quo shift for Jonah Hex, it took away Tim Drake's solo title for the first time since 1995, and it prematurely killed the best Batgirl book there's ever been. But in the case of the JSA, the New 52 was a mercy killing, pure and simple. And I LOVE the JSA, they're my favorite team of all. But giving them a few years away (unless you count Earth 2, which I don't) wasn't necessarily the worst thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    Sadly, no.

After Willingham's run came a JLA/JSA crossover by James Robinson, "Dark Things," that had Jade and Obsidian briefly merge and the Starheart threaten the Earth before Alan tamed it again. (And I am always down for a good Alan Scott story, but with the exception of one cool double-page splash at the end, this wasn't anything to write home about.) After that came the final couple of story arcs, by Marc Guggenheim, with the team fighting some villain that'd been hidden under a small town since the 40s or something, with Alan getting his spine broken and needing to wear a horrendously ugly costume shaped like a lantern (I wish I were kidding) and Jay becoming mayor of the town.

The New 52 ruined a lot of books I was reading. It caused a major status quo shift for Jonah Hex, it took away Tim Drake's solo title for the first time since 1995, and it prematurely killed the best Batgirl book there's ever been. But in the case of the JSA, the New 52 was a mercy killing, pure and simple. And I LOVE the JSA, they're my favorite team of all. But giving them a few years away (unless you count Earth 2, which I don't) wasn't necessarily the worst thing.
    I gotta say though, E2: Society is one of the best gems in the last 5 years. Its so good.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Johns JSA stuff is some of his best in my opinion. The Hourman arc alone was perfect. And the Thy Kingdom Come was loads of fun.

The Levitz filler while Johns was busy with Infinite Crisis was okay.

I never continued past his run with Willingham though, any good?
    I don't even think Willingham's stuff was good either (except maybe that scene when Obsidian jokes that he got cured of being gay and then Allan's reaction. That was funny) but Guggenheim's run after that was an utter disgrace. The Lucky one's description is accurate and I dare you to google the Allan Scott Lantern costume and look at it with a straight face.
    Imho Guggenheim is one of the worst writers ever worked in comics. I've never read anything from him that was even remotely enjoyable. And currently he is working on one of my favourite character, The Rocketeer

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Let's all be honest in this regard, the bottom line price hike is me spending $62 instead of $50 cause no one and I mean not one person in these threads is actually spending the MSRP.

So yes, for $12 more dollars I'll pony up for DC Collections Dept taking the time to remaster the material necessary moving forward.
    I think you meant $37.50 and not $50 for Omnibuses Vol. 1-4. Therefore, for first week purchasers in the US, the difference between Vol. 1-4 and Vol. 5 is $25 ($62.50- $37.50).

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Can anyone tell me the difference between an absolute edition and absolute (titan edition) if any?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyMeister View Post
    Can anyone tell me the difference between an absolute edition and absolute (titan edition) if any?
    Titan editions are just UK prints of dc books. There is very rarely any difference in think the only one I heard of is the final crisis hc excluding superman beyond but I'm not sure that's even true since I never had the Titan edition.

Spectacular Member RickyMeister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Titan editions are just UK prints of dc books. There is very rarely any difference in think the only one I heard of is the final crisis hc excluding superman beyond but I'm not sure that's even true since I never had the Titan edition.
    Thanks, absolute all star superman is £40 on fp thinking of picking it up

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I think you meant $37.50 and not $50 for Omnibuses Vol. 1-4. Therefore, for first week purchasers in the US, the difference between Vol. 1-4 and Vol. 5 is $25 ($62.50- $37.50).
    Yes, my AP lit teacher would be so disappointed I didn't proof read my own work before submitting!!
    At any rate, my point still stands and I'll gladly pay the $25 hike(after IST discount).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Yes, my AP lit teacher would be so disappointed I didn't proof read my own work before submitting!!
    At any rate, my point still stands and I'll gladly pay the $25 hike(after IST discount).
    ha ha your AP lit teacher would probably be proud that you suck at math. JK