View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 953 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 45385390394394995095195295395495595695796310031053 ... LastLast
Results 14,281 to 14,295 of 21672
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I sell single issue runs on Ebay when an Omni or Deluxe becomes available as well.
    Softcovers aren't worth the flip to me. Plus, we are in an era where there are few single issues worth having. There are few "First Appearances" "Deaths" or "Returns" that matter in the shock value publication strategy of the Big 2 anymore.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    The Hal and Pals Deluxe is cancelled, as far as Ive seen.
    So much for giving that series of new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Going to have to disagree.

They are a business and should be catering to everyone - both soft cover fans and fans of OHCs.

For me, there is absolutely zero point to upgrading from standard issues to trades or cheap softcovers. When I buy a collected edition, I want an upgrade, so it's OHC or nothing. If DC dont provide that, they dont get my money.
    I agree with you - I don't understand why anyone would think it's an "either/or" situation. Release trades first for those who aren't buying floppies and want the material in a more affordable format for reading, and then release deluxes a little later for the collectors who want nice shelves and/or who are flipping their floppies. Seems reasonable enough. Doing that for every series may not be a cost-effective option though, but that's a whole other discussion.

Incredible Member

Batman Rebirth Deluxe

I had always assumed that the solicitation text was wrong, that they'd end up skipping the Monster Men crossover issues or bringing in the Detective/Nightwing issues to complete the arc.

Nope.

They actually just slapped Part 1 and Part 4 into the middle of the book with no explanation at all, not even a summary page before Part 4 to tell you what happened.

Then at the end of Part 4 they have the gall to put a little text box "For the full story see Batman: Night of the Monster Men". Errrr, NO! 1) the crossover was garbage. 2) this is a DELUXE edition book! this is ment to be a premium product and you've got the stones to give me 1/3rd of a story and tell me to go buy another book for any of it to make any sense. This is unbelivably insulting. I assume they are going to end up doing the same thing with Superman Reborn in the AC/Superman Deluxes. What a joke.

Well, so then it would have been better, if they skipped the crossover issues in the deluxe HCs as for the TPBs.
    What kind of annoys me, is that these event/crossover books are HC first and 6 months or even later maybe a TPB will be released or not. I'm collecting all Rebirth titles in TPB format up to now and if don't want to wait longer for such stories, I need to pickup the HC editions of this events/crossovers.

pfff.
    I picked up the Flash and Action Comics deluxes but am thinking of abandoning this line in favor of trades (or nothing). Between the half-assed chronology selection and the late in the game cancellations of seemingly everything outside of Batman/Superman I'd rather put my money towards something else.
    Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    pfff.
    I picked up the Flash and Action Comics deluxes but am thinking of abandoning this line in favor of trades (or nothing). Between the half-assed chronology selection and the late in the game cancellations of seemingly everything outside of Batman/Superman I'd rather put my money towards something else.
    Shame.
    DC's bad habit of continually cancelling a series in a given format really hurts them long-term, methinks. Between the frequent errors in solicitation and the cancellations (Starman and Sandman Mystery Theater, we're looking at you!), it's a wonder anyone buys a Volume 1. That hesitation then leads DC to see low pre-sales and cancel books. It's a ridiculous system.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Batman Rebirth Deluxe

I had always assumed that the solicitation text was wrong, that they'd end up skipping the Monster Men crossover issues or bringing in the Detective/Nightwing issues to complete the arc.

Nope.

They actually just slapped Part 1 and Part 4 into the middle of the book with no explanation at all, not even a summary page before Part 4 to tell you what happened.

Then at the end of Part 4 they have the gall to put a little text box "For the full story see Batman: Night of the Monster Men". Errrr, NO! 1) the crossover was garbage. 2) this is a DELUXE edition book! this is ment to be a premium product and you've got the stones to give me 1/3rd of a story and tell me to go buy another book for any of it to make any sense. This is unbelivably insulting. I assume they are going to end up doing the same thing with Superman Reborn in the AC/Superman Deluxes. What a joke.
    Well in DCs defense at least they are releasing the other titles in deluxe as well, so it can all be collected. That would be some serious triple-dipping if they collected it acrosss all three titles. Same with the superman crossover, justice league/suicide squad (maybe not this one) and I'd imagine the button as well. They probably assumed those interested in deluxes would be checking the others out also. Or they're just incompetent lol. Nothing surprises me at this point
    Last edited by awayne83; 09-08-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
    I agree with you - I don't understand why anyone would think it's an "either/or" situation. Release trades first for those who aren't buying floppies and want the material in a more affordable format for reading, and then release deluxes
    I'm actually fine with Deluxes I just would like DC to harmonize these trades and not try to find sneaky ways (like first releasing Button in Deluxe, no solicit for softcover so far) to try to force people to buy Deluxes who don't like to feel forced to that. If they consistently did hardcover-->softcover-->Deluxe with no story edits, just maybe added extras in the Deluxe, then that would be fair and good.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-08-2017 at 06:51 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm actually fine with Deluxes I just would like DC to harmonize these trades and not try to find sneaky ways (like first releasing Button in Deluxe, no solicit for softcover so far) to try to force people to buy Deluxes who don't like to feel forced to that. If they consistently did hardcover-->softcover-->Deluxe with no story edits, just maybe added extras in the Deluxe, then that would be fair and good.
    I think softcover to deluxe would probably be fine. Does anyone prefer standard size hardcovers over deluxes or trades? The people that just want to read the story are fine with trades I'd think, and the ones that want hardcovers probably prefer deluxes, surely? But I agree, releasing a deluxe first with no sign of a TPB is pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Batman Rebirth Deluxe

Nope.

Wow, what an incredibly poor decision by DC. Having said that, they would have been better off not printing Night of the Monster Men in any format, including the original floppies.

Incredible Member

Good to know as I will now probably skip these issues (I have only read the first issue). Perhaps they recognized this as a potential issue and rather than include crossover issues to keep it a batman only book, they increased the amount of issues in the deluxe. It appears to be the biggest deluxe going up to batman 15. Others I've seen go up to about 13 at best. I'm not sure including crossover issues at the expense of Batman 14&15 or cutting out the batman issues of the storyline is better or not. A summary would've been nice. I have all sorts of artist specific omnibus' where there will be a book tied to other books which aren't included. It does make for an annoying read of those issues as they feel pointless. It's a potential problem with any collection limited to one author or series only.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Regarding Monster Men, I'd rather have the issues for the sake of having the complete run, even if I skip reading them, than have a random gap in the middle of the run.

If you dont like it, you skip the issues. If you did like it, chances are you already planned to get Nightwing and Detective in Deluxe anyway.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think they should have included ALL of Monster Men. Monster Men finishes off King's use of Huge Strange. I consider it wholly part of the run, even despite King's only very partial participation.

I had to say the same of Resurrection of Ra's in Morrison's run. Morrison's two issues were enough for me to think it worth including with the run when I custom bound it.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-08-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think they should have included ALL of Monster Men. Monster Men finishes off King's use of Huge Strange. I consider it wholly part of the run, even if despite King's only very partial participation.

I had to say the same of Resurrection of Ra's in Morrison's run. Morrison's two issues were enough for me to think it worth including with the run when I custom bound it.
    I guess the issue would then have been double dipping - you'd have the same 6 issues in 3 deluxes - reducing the page count for other issues
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God