View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 956 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 45685690694695295395495595695795895996096610061056 ... LastLast
Results 14,326 to 14,340 of 21662

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    This is going to be harsh ... so skip if you don't want serious negativity. Ha ha.

I finally gave up on the Harley Quinn omnibus by Conner and Palmiotti after about 12 issues through (which is almost half the book).

It's utter garbage. This run has absolutely no soul; it's one of the most shallow series I've ever read. Hell, it's not even a fun read. I mean, if you're going to put out a book with no depth, at least make it entertaining - make it funny.

The authors poorly attempt a gag-a-panel run with cliche humor, lame fart jokes and poor sexual innuendoes. The issue I finally quit on spent about 6 pages with Harley and a group of girls in the ocean pretending to be sharks and biting each other on the asses. Seriously . . . that was it. "I'm a shark." Bite. "Ha ha, no, I don't like sharks." "Oooh, I'm scared!" Bite.

Good, God! How does this run even sell????

The most potentially promising part of this series was a couple of the back-up characters - a old man/former spy and a circus midget who helps out Harley. And, the writers couldn't even develop those two. There was just no heart. An example of where it was good - think back to Ennis' Punisher and Frank's Return when he was living in the run down motel. You had the nervous girl, the heavy set guy and Spacker Dave! That's how you do it.

I've never been big on Palmiotti and this seals it for me. This was my first go around with Conner, but I won't pick up any of her work, either.

Here's hoping the book sells out and I can recoup my money.

That said, I started the Darth Vader omnibus. Real writing, real entertainment. The book captures the magic of the characters and introduces new and interesting secondary characters.

It's too bad Harley Quinn couldn't do that. In fact, it's absolutely sad that the character in the movie is better than the one in the comic. It's usually the other way around and a complete failure of the authors' attempt at storytelling.
    I warned you. I said stay away! But nooooo

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

This is going to be harsh ... so skip if you don't want serious negativity. Ha ha.

I finally gave up on the Harley Quinn omnibus by Conner and Palmiotti after about 12 issues through (which is almost half the book).

It's utter garbage. This run has absolutely no soul; it's one of the most shallow series I've ever read. Hell, it's not even a fun read. I mean, if you're going to put out a book with no depth, at least make it entertaining - make it funny.

The authors poorly attempt a gag-a-panel run with cliche humor, lame fart jokes and poor sexual innuendoes. The issue I finally quit on spent about 6 pages with Harley and a group of girls in the ocean pretending to be sharks and biting each other on the asses. Seriously . . . that was it. "I'm a shark." Bite. "Ha ha, no, I don't like sharks." "Oooh, I'm scared!" Bite.

Good, God! How does this run even sell????

The most potentially promising part of this series was a couple of the back-up characters - a old man/former spy and a circus midget who helps out Harley. And, the writers couldn't even develop those two. There was just no heart. An example of where it was good - think back to Ennis' Punisher and Frank's Return when he was living in the run down motel. You had the nervous girl, the heavy set guy and Spacker Dave! That's how you do it.

I've never been big on Palmiotti and this seals it for me. This was my first go around with Conner, but I won't pick up any of her work, either.

Here's hoping the book sells out and I can recoup my money.

That said, I started the Darth Vader omnibus. Real writing, real entertainment. The book captures the magic of the characters and introduces new and interesting secondary characters.

It's too bad Harley Quinn couldn't do that. In fact, it's absolutely sad that the character in the movie is better than the one in the comic. It's usually the other way around and a complete failure of the authors' attempt at storytelling.
    So, you're saying you didn't really like it?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBrian View Post
    I read the first few issues in singles and that was all I wanted, so at least you soldiered on further than I could. I think Mad Love is the only Harley thing I've read that I actually enjoyed. It's Harley the way she was originally meant to be, not the full on video game slut they decided to turn her into.
    I recommend "Gotham City Sirens" for some good Harley material, she serves as a nice, sometimes goofy counterpoint to the more cynical Catwoman & Poison Ivy and there are a couple of times people (e.g. Hush) make the mistake of underestimating her and she shows how bad an idea that can be!

Incredible Member

I didn't really have a lot of experience with Quinn. Maybe an appearance or two in a Batman title and the SS movie. If done right, villain books can be great. Some years back before Action Comics hit # 1,000, Cornell (sp?) wrote a great Lex Luthor run in the title. Also, as I previously mentioned, the Darth Vader series is amazing. Slott's Superior Spider-Man was another although it was probably less villain-y and slightly more heroic, albeit with a bad guy in the lead.
    I thought Cornell's run was good except for the Lois Lane sex-bot, IIRC post-crisis he had never any romantic interest in her since she broke up with him prior to the Man of Steel mini series and by the time of this run she had been married to Clark for over a decade so it struck me as a very odd creative choice for him to make a robot of her specifically

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    I thought Cornell's run was good except for the Lois Lane sex-bot, IIRC post-crisis he had never any romantic interest in her since she broke up with him prior to the Man of Steel mini series and by the time of this run she had been married to Clark for over a decade so it struck me as a very odd creative choice for him to make a robot of her specifically
    At least during the Loeb/Kelly/Casey/Schultz era, Lex was still not over Lois. In fact, in the fourth chapter of the "Ending Battle" crossover, he confesses to Superman that one of the reasons why he never exploited the knowledge of his secret identity was because he was afraid Lois would get hurt. He even refers to her as one of the only three people he's ever loved, along with himself and his daughter.
    Last edited by Starro; 09-10-2017 at 08:13 AM.

How was Catwoman after Brubaker left? Worth picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I enjoyed it. Would love to see a new Catwoman series in this style again.

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I started with Pfeifer's run, it was the first Catwoman comics I've ever read and absolutely loved it. I'm pretty sure that was around the time I dived deep into the DCU in general and read lots of great stuff (Johns Flash, GL, Infinite Crisis, Secret six, etc). Haven't read it since then, I took my sweet@ss time getting the volumes and only have vol 1 while vol2 is oop.

Really sad to hear about Len Wein passing. I really hope the Swamp Thing omni comes with some sort of intro or out to by him. Hopefully its not delayed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    I enjoyed it. Would love to see a new Catwoman series in this style again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I started with Pfeifer's run, it was the first Catwoman comics I've ever read and absolutely loved it. I'm pretty sure that was around the time I dived deep into the DCU in general and read lots of great stuff (Johns Flash, GL, Infinite Crisis, Secret six, etc). Haven't read it since then, I took my sweet@ss time getting the volumes and only have vol 1 while vol2 is oop.
    Thanks, I'll look into them. I have the Bru volumes and am enjoying them so far, snagged the volume 2 earlier in the year when it was going oop

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Really sad to hear about Len Wein passing. I really hope the Swamp Thing omni comes with some sort of intro or out to by him. Hopefully its not delayed again.
    Yeah. Fucking bummer man. The past two years have not been kind to the comic community

Yeah, it wasn't that long that Cooke passed ether. I hope they make a DC Universe by Len Wein

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Yeah, it wasn't that long that Cooke passed ether. I hope they make a DC Universe by Len Wein
    And Berni Wrightson. And Steve Dillon

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tigertemprr View Post

Option (3)

• Batman Deluxe (Batman #1-15, Nightwing #5-6, Detective Comics #941-942)
    • Nightwing Deluxe (Nightwing #1-15, Batman #7-8, Detective Comics #941-942)
    • Detective Comics Deluxe (Detective Comics #934-949, Batman #7-8, Nightwing #5-6)

I like Option 3, but I might amend this to not include all of Night of the Monster Men in Nightwing Vol 1 and Tec Vol 1. Or Tec too, but not Nightwing. Kinda saying it's fair enough that if you want the crossover, you will have to get certain Deluxes. Does Night Of really affect Nightwing's "run" that much from a Nightwing fan perspective? I don't know.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Superman: Action Comics Vol. 4 collects #977-984 and Vol. 5 collects #993-999

What do you think are the chances of DC publishing a hardcover edition (like the recently released Superman Reborn) of the issues in between these volumes that make up the Oz Effect story arc (#987-992)?

I'm debating between getting the single issues or waiting for a hardcover trade of this arc
    Thanks
    "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth"

Mighty Member

Batman aficionados! Is the second volume of Brubakers run sufficient enough reading for the murderer/fugitive arcs, or do the other bat family books included in their respective collections make those worth while? I ask cause a lot of times, while relevant, those stories seem to usually be tangential at best.