View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 99 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 498995969798991001011021031091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    What I love about Morrison is that, in nearly all his works, it requires at lot more "participation" on the reader's part than with another author. I'd be lying if I said that his plots and themes can be opaque at first, but, like, a magic eye picture from the 80s, the meaning reveals itself to you.

I found that his works like Animal man, the Invisibles, Flex Mentallo, and All-Star Superman genuinely changed the way I thought about the world, the universe, religion, philosophy, and other areas. No other writer (with the possible exception of Alan Moore funnily enough) has written things that have made me do that. Whereas most writers use simply the words and art as their canvas upon which to communicate and idea, Morrison uses meta-narrative, historical context, book layout, and other non-tradition tools to paint a picture with several dimensions of depth.

[VERY MINOR SPOILERS FOR ALL-STAR SUPERMAN AND ANIMAL MAN IN NEXT PARAGRAPH]

Furthermore, each of his books informs a unique understanding of his other books. It's like his bibliography itself is a narrative he's been slowly unraveling throughout his career. Here's an example: In Final Crisis, we're told that gods are nothing but self-aware ideas. An idea is self-aware when it can perpetuate itself, almost independent of the thinker. In All-Star Superman, we're told that Superman is an idea we came up with as something to strive toward. He's the perfect being, perfect, loving, humble, and infallible. He's an idea that has lasted several generations and maintained his core elements. He's an idea that has drastically affected culture in profound, incalculable ways. How then, is Superman not God (or a god depending on your beliefs)? [MINOR SPOILERS IN NEXT SENTENCE FOR ALL-STAR SUPERMAN]. Indeed, in what is arguably All-Star Superman's greatest issue, we see him create our world, then we see Shuster and Seagle create him in an infinite loop of creation [END SPOILERS]. Then, think of the concept of "fiction suits" as explored in The Invisibles. [MINOR SPOILERS IN NEXT SENTENCE FOR ANIMAL MAN] Just as supra-temporal, supra-dimensional beings could lower themselves to our lesser plane, so Morrison lowers himself into his own fiction to have a discourse with his creation. Creator dialoging with creation. [END SPOILERS].

As is probably obvious now, I could write about different aspects of Morrison genius all day, but suffice it to say that his material is much, much more than intentionally incomprehensible gobbledygook. It's profound.

Also, read his autobiography / history of comics through a unique perspective called Supergods.
    That's what Morrison was saying in All Star Superman? Man, I've got reread that, because I didn't get that at all.
    Last edited by DrGregatron; 08-03-2014 at 06:58 AM.

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

I think it's certainly one of the things he's saying. If I had to crystallize what I take away to be the major theme of all of Morrison's work it is that the idea of the superhero is the springboard upon which man could, should, and will reach his destined state of divinity. Superheroes are ideas we've created that are just waiting for us to join them in the stars.

Speaking of Morrison; I've just started reading the Animal Man omnibus. Half way in, and this might be my favorite of Morrison's work (have yet to read Doom Patrol, though).

Was gonna dive in Doom Patrol, but then I saw Guardians of the Galaxy, and opened up the Annihilation Omnibus instead.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...pf_rd_i=507846

This volume collects: Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Green Lantern Corps #14-18, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 #1, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 and Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1.

They add the Corps issues but where is #19? I think it is also part of the story, right?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

This volume collects: Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps Recharge #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Green Lantern Corps #14-18, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1, Green Lantern Secret Files 2005 #1, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1 and Green Lantern/Sinestro Corps Secret Files #1.

They add the Corps issues but where is #19? I think it is also part of the story, right?
    GLC #19 is just an epilogue, and Hal Jordan isn't even in it. Even in the many Sinestro Corps War collections, the only pages from that issue that were included are the ones that show Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and other prominent Green Lanterns having some down time after the war is over. The rest of the issue sets up Tomasi's first arc with Mongul.

So, we win? Just like with JSA omni, DC listens and responds in kind. Hooray internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

So is this "complete" now? Also they've bumped the price up to $125, pretty sure it was $100 before. Amazon has it for $65 right now which is a great deal.

Edit: yeah they have changed the price, though it's now 200 pages bigger so not bad. Original announcement:

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 HC. Collecting Green Lantern Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Corps #1-5, Green Lantern #1-25, Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman Prime #1, Green Lantern Corps Sinestro Special #1 and Green Lantern Secret Files 2005. 1008 pg, $99.99 US

Passing on the GL omnibus for the moment, unless they release an OHC of GLC 1-13. I'll stick to the tpbs otherwise.

See, I've got the Absolute Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night, and of got the rest of the run in standard trim HCs. But I still have this nagging voice in my head that says it'd sure be nice to to have the rest of the run in nice, oversized hardcover that these omnis would provide. Anyone else in this position who's thinking about picking up this omni? Please tell me I'm not the only sick one ...

See, I've got the Absolute Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, and Blackest Night, and of got the rest of the run in standard trim HCs. But I still have this nagging voice in my head that says it'd sure be nice to to have the rest of the run in nice, oversized hardcover that these omnis would provide. Anyone else in this position who's thinking about picking up this omni? Please tell me I'm not the only sick one ...
    Similar situation. I have both Planetary absolute volumes and still got the omnibus because it had the crossovers.

Fantastic Member

Damn, if the GL omnibus really is complete and has no content problems that means I'm actually gonna have to get it. Been meaning to read Johns run for a while now.

Incredible Member

Damn. I've really overspent on books this year, and I was kind of using the 'poor content' on the GL Omni as an excuse to eventually cancel the pre-order and save $65 plus shipping... and now I can't.

Damn you, DC, and you're "attentive to readers needs when it comes to this kind of thing" ways!

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    Passing on the GL omnibus for the moment, unless they release an OHC of GLC 1-13. I'll stick to the tpbs otherwise.
    Would have thought it would be better & cheaper to pick up the GL Omnibus and the tpbs for GLC, rather than tpbs for the whole lot? Then you can have a "run" of GL Omnis and a run of GLC tpbs.

I've got Absolute Rebirth, and will probably sell it when the Omnibus turns up. I'm quite happy to have it in Omnibus over Absolute, can probably fund most of the Omnibus selling it actually.

All-New Member

How is the binding on the Doom Patrol omnibus? Sewn or glued? Appear to be good quality?
    Last edited by epyon3245234; 08-03-2014 at 09:39 PM.