View Poll Results: What grade would you give this issue?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 out of 5 [A+/A]

0 0%
  • 4 out of 5 [A-/B+]

12 60.00%
  • 3 out of 5 [B/B-/C+/C]

4 20.00%
  • 2 out of 5 [C-/D+]

2 10.00%
  • 1 out of 5 [D/D-/F]

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post REVIEW: New Avengers #1

NEW AVENGERS #1
    writer. Al Ewing
    artist. Gerardo Sandoval

spoilers:
    BRIEF SYNOPSIS: The new A.I.M. (Avengers Idea Mechanics), lead by Songbird [Melissa Gold] are travelling to Paris, where the heads of French citizens are being turned into giant crystals, acting as soul catchers; turning the city into one giant switch board for the Dead. They're being invaded... by the afterlife...
    ~ cliffhanger: the Maker [Reed Richards] unleashes his Neohedron (which looks like a hairy scorpion) [grade: C]
    end of spoilers
    ~ cover: almost Thunderbolts #1 inspired, marking forward from the left. Songbird, Wiccan and Sunspot look epic; Hulkling's face needs more handsome. A fine cover, but nothing special [grade: B]

LOVED
    1. first page, of the first issue = Wiccan! #win
    2. the art. Controversial I know, but Songbird and Wiccan look GLORIOUS!!!
    3. a map of A.I.M. Island. Love maps; always a big supporter of including one in books.
    4. the diversity. Not just in the main field team, but on A.I.M. island. THIS is how you actually do diversity; kudos Ewing.
    5. SUNSPOT: Could we get the other Hawkeye. I really wanted that other Hawkeye. SQUEAL!!!

LIKED
    1. we're not sweeping Dugan's LMD history away, but using it to add to his character.
    2. Pod blocking Dugan's scan... ohhhhhh, what's she hiding?
    3. Hawkeye apologising for being a traitor.
    4. the various styles of invisibility to body scans. Cool art choices.

DISLIKED
    1. Squirrel Girl's "jokes". It's too try hard. It reminds me of Groucho Marx, crow-baring his "jokes" into existence with all the subtlety of an atomic bomb.
    2. Wiccan worrying about everyone not being able to fly; enough can that they can carry others, it felt like a lazy way to bring up the gravity belts.
    3. maybe it's my ignorance, but why is Power Man the magic guy and not... you know... the guy who'll re-write the rules of magic one day? Wiccan wasn't offering anything on magic consultation.

THOUGHTS: I'm biased, it's a comic by Al Ewing where Wiccan and Songbird FINNNNNNNALLY get to be Avengers; of course I'd like it. And while it's action packed, Ewing still manages to get a lot of "information" about characters, and their place in the world. It wasn't anywhere near as exciting as his first issue of Loki: Agent of Asgard; but maybe with a more sure-fire comic Ewing isn't too worried about cancellation (and therefore can take his time). There was less urgency, less danger (both in the writing and the battles); so hopefully that changes soon. I really don't get the art complaints, the cover sure, a bit fugly, but inside it's clear, it's pretty, it's innovative. No complaints from me. I'm curious to learn why Power Man and White Tiger broke up; and already Hawkeye's traitor role is more surprising. SO happy seeing Songbird lead with grace and confidence. Now all we need is Wiccan kicking some serious ass, and I'll be happy.

OVERALL
    A solid start; it's a little too action packed, leaving little room for character-moments (outside of Sunspot). The Maker isn't a villain I'm aware of; and therefore my "squeal-metre" is stationary. An enjoyable start, with some very unique ideas (but again ones that don't tip the squeal-metre into anything major. Wiccan and Songbird are glorious, in every moment.
    ~ grade: 4 out of 5 [grade: B+]

P.S. calling it, Pod is the second traitor! Blocking scans, no face inside; what's she hiding?
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-15-2015 at 02:20 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

This was great. It was crazy and fun and hilarious. I'm totally with Bobby about wanting the other Hawkeye. Squirrel Girl is hilarious throughout. And one of her squirrels speaks French. The French version of squirrelese. It's such a dumb joke to toss in, and it made me laugh. And I love White Tiger having no idea what to make of Squirrel Girl. Those two play off each other well, and I really hope they get paired up a lot.

I don't like Sandoval's art. It's just not a style I like. It's a lot of sharp edges, and I don't like that. I generally prefer softer styles.

But other than that, this comic's an absolute blast.

BANNED

I went with 3. Somewhat enjoyable, but nothing special. Plus, the awful characterization of the Maker was a major turn off. Same goes for SQ. God, I hate that character. Well, as much as I love Songbird and the Maker, and as much as I like Wiccan & Hulkling, I won't be supporting this. The premise is interesting, but the team is so-so and it doesn't look like something I need to read every month. Let's hope he handles Ultimates better...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    This was great. It was crazy and fun and hilarious. I'm totally with Bobby about wanting the other Hawkeye. Squirrel Girl is hilarious throughout. And one of her squirrels speaks French. The French version of squirrelese. It's such a dumb joke to toss in, and it made me laugh. And I love White Tiger having no idea what to make of Squirrel Girl. Those two play off each other well, and I really hope they get paired up a lot.

I don't like Sandoval's art. It's just not a style I like. It's a lot of sharp edges, and I don't like that. I generally prefer softer styles.

But other than that, this comic's an absolute blast.
    Okay, I give you White Tiger and Squirrel Girl was fun.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Oh boy, I'm so sorry Kieran I didn't realize you'd already put up a review for New Avengers before mine. Hopefully the mods will be able to take care of that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh boy, I'm so sorry Kieran I didn't realize you'd already put up a review for New Avengers before mine. Hopefully the mods will be able to take care of that.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It's time for one of my most anticipated series of the ANAD Marvel Universe, Al Ewing's New Avwngers. Now if you've heard anything about this series you know that it's pretty crazy from the premise to the cast and even the villain, but how crazy does this first issue get? Let's find out.

This issue is a great setup issue as we get to meet not only the main cast of Avengers Idea Mechanics, most of which are on their way to France to deal with an outbreak of diamond head people while Sunspot and POD plus side characters Dr Max Brashear and Toni Ho(no idea who that is honestly) who stay on the home base of Avengers Island as LMD Dum Dum Duggan shows up and talks about SHIELD keeping an eye on them by putting Clint Barton on the team, although Sunspot wanted Kate Bishop. While all this is going on the field team is dealing with the diamond people who turn out to be the spirit of the dead summoned by our main villain The Maker, or ultimate Reed Richards for those who don't know who he is. He then sends in the Neohedron, some creature with a diamond head a gorilla body and a scorpion lower body, and no I'm not making that up.

Overall it was a fun first issue, as weird as some of this is Ewing really knows how to make this work. Now I'm not going to say much about the art, it works for what it is and it's not to bad although Wiccan really looks like an anime character. The team itself works well together and a lot of the humor and banter these characters have are great. I have a few specific comments about the cast I would like to add.
    -It's great to see Wiccan and Hulkling again, I've missed them since Young Avengers ended so it's good to have them back.
    -I don't have much history with Squirrel Girl, I've read some of her solo series but she's really funny in this and is a great addition to the team.
    -Sunspot is a very charming and funny team leader.
    -Haven't seen songbird in a long time, pretty nice to have her back as well.

Overall I highly recommend this series, I feel it's worth it.
    Really great review; everyone should read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Really great review; everyone should read this.
    Thanks Kieran, your review was great as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I actually enjoyed it. White Tiger and Squirrl GIrl had that straight man/weird character pitch that I love so much. Bobby dealing with the shield liaisons has some potential but I can't help but feel that Hawkeye as an AoS is a MCU tie-in.

So far the ones I'm interested in the most are Powerman, Squirrel Girl, White Tiger, and the Maker. Wonder where this tale will lead them.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I got this because of Ewing. Honestly wasn't expecting much of anything but surprisingly, I enjoyed this issue. There are some cool concepts that I'm looking forward too like the scientists that we met, POD, Sunspot leading, and the Maker. I won't lie, I'm a little worried the Maker will get jobbed because he is way above this team's pay grade. Still though, Sunspot's shown to make the best of his resources and these guys aren't pushovers.

Also I really dislike Sandoval's art. Twice he's gotten me to quit a book because I couldn't stand his style. So MAJOR props to Dono Sanchez Almara on colors who absolutely elevates this art to a whole new level.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Sucked. Dropped like it was hot.

Squirrel Girl.....SMH

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I got this because of Ewing. Honestly wasn't expecting much of anything but surprisingly, I enjoyed this issue. There are some cool concepts that I'm looking forward too like the scientists that we met, POD, Sunspot leading, and the Maker. I won't lie, I'm a little worried the Maker will get jobbed because he is way above this team's pay grade. Still though, Sunspot's shown to make the best of his resources and these guys aren't pushovers.

Also I really dislike Sandoval's art. Twice he's gotten me to quit a book because I couldn't stand his style. So MAJOR props to Dono Sanchez Almara on colors who absolutely elevates this art to a whole new level.
    I get that a lot of people feel the Maker is above this group, but I think the point is really to establish that this is an Avengers team. This is exactly the sort of threat they're supposed to deal with. People that have doubts about them will hopefully be silenced after they kick the Makers behind.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I get that a lot of people feel the Maker is above this group, but I think the point is really to establish that this is an Avengers team. This is exactly the sort of threat they're supposed to deal with. People that have doubts about them will hopefully be silenced after they kick the Makers behind.
    I wouldn't mind them defeating the Maker as long as it's done without him carrying the idiot ball for that to happen. It's always a fear to have a character dumbed down just to prop up another. As long as something as stupid as a whisper doesn't cause a downfall, I'm looking forward to what this series can offer.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Poor Clint. Stuck being the known SHIELD mole on an Avengers team that would rather have Kate .

Astonishing Member

A little perplexed by the outright inability to accept the team as a credible threat to the Maker, who clearly doesn't have nearly as formidable an army or set up as he once did. Whisper is a far, far cry from the Children.

To put it in context, the New Warriors defeated the Sphinx. The Young Avengers defeated a reality altering extra-dimensional parasite. The Teen Titans regularly defeated Trigon, ruler of an entire universe.

Rising to the challenge is what heroes do.