Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sons of X #1 - Spoilers

Legion and Ruth create a circuit to simulate going up against Nimrod. Legion and Banshee learn from Mother Righteous what happened to themselves in SOS. Legion decides it’s time to make a deal with Mother Righteous in order to save Nightcrawler. They attack Orchis. David and the team search and attempt to rescue Kurt. Meanwhile Mother Righteous takes on Nimrod and wins. Margali foils the rescue and sends the team out an airlock. Mother Righteous appears and gives a whole lotta clues she might somehow actually be Mephisto. She reclaims all magical gifts she ever gave to Margali, sucks her into a floating sphere, and steals the Hope sword. David and the team return from space. They return to Savage Land and Mother Righteous casts a spell that ends the mutant monster problem. Mother Righteous refuses to give David the Hope sword, in order to restore Kurt. She taunts David with knowledge of what happens after his ascension. Her true nature revealed, Mother Righteous is attacked and vanquished by the team. But not before even more clues she may somehow be Mephisto. Kurt is resurrected and learns he murdered many high profile diplomats when he was a monster. He tells Cyclops he has decided to leave Krakoa. The end.

Extraordinary Member

I have not read a Spurrier book since Way of X ended, and I followed this issue pretty easily and enjoyed it. The final scene with Kurt (and Scott) reminded me that he could write him well when bothered to. If the follow up book actually stars Kurt I might consider reading it.

I thought Mother Righteous made it pretty clear she was a 'Sinister' and did not see any clues she was anything more than that aside from her belief that she may somehow be the dominion.

I need to reread the part with Nimrod because it was interesting how Mother somehow diminished his power by exposing the "gap left" by a stolen heart and reaching Warlock's soul? I'm still digesting that bit.

The Kurt stuff was devastating. I'm concerned we won't be seeing him again until the launch of his book in August so I hope that's not the case.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

After reading this issue, I’m actually a lot more interested in Uncanny Spider-Man. I’m wondering if that will be Kurt’s equivalent of Identity Crisis, with him taking on the Spider-Man name since he can’t publicly act due to the murders he committed. I also must say that I loved the speech Kurt gave to Scott at the end with him essentially realizing just how they had lost their way in trying to separate themselves from humans when between Homo Sapien and Homo Superior, being human is the common thread. It’s a nice acknowledgment after these years of the Krakoa era in which they tried to separate what is them from what us human even as they tried building bridges.

I thought this was a good issue. Possibly my favorite issue that Spurrier has written in this era. I really loved the X2 Easter egg with Nightcrawler and how Mother Righteous handled Nimrod. Kurt leaving Krakoa is sad but I understand his reasoning. Solid stuff.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

this was truly the best single issue from Spurrier since this Krakoa era, the ending of this has me more intrigued and somewhat excited to see what Si has planned for our fuzzy blue elf in Uncanny Spider-Man. This issue put him through a lot and hopefully, this next book is a little bit easier for him (which is probably unlikely but one can hope!)
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Lots of pieces moving here and Righteous has been set up as a major threat.

The Kurt part’s were really heartfelt. The Legion parts were a little wonky but also good (I wish we had a chance to see more of the fallout of Charle’s betrayal). Overall, was a good transition issue into Uncanny Spider-Man. I am a little over all powerful Mother Righteous though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The Kurt part’s were really heartfelt. The Legion parts were a little wonky but also good (I wish we had a chance to see more of the fallout of Charle’s betrayal). Overall, was a good transition issue into Uncanny Spider-Man. I am a little over all powerful Mother Righteous though.
    While I’m also over how overpowered that she is, I’m glad to see her actually getting thwarted here. The heroes are definitely doing something right when they push her to the point that she loses her composure.

Wait, what happened to Sean's trauma?

We got Zsen's picture, btw. Turns out, she sucks at art-ing.

I wonder how Kurt felt, banging Zsen and then seeing her draw him without any genitals.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I … and did not see any clues she was anything more than that aside from her belief that she may somehow be the dominion.
    These panels seem strongest clues yet there may be a connection. Mephisto was recently seen in Avengers as a worm encouraging Thanos. Obvious red skin aside, Mother Righteous describes herself as the worm in the heart. She’s obsessed with claiming souls and says she can find any mortal soul in the universe. Odd for a presumably mortal Sinister clone to say. It’s a stretch but Mephisto is Marvel’s devil. In literature the devil encouraged Adam and Eve to pursue forbidden knowledge leading to Eden’s downfall. Mutant paradise is being destroyed by a competitive pursuit of omniscience (aka dominion). In Sons of X, she is trading knowledge for souls.

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 05-03-2023 at 07:40 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So...nobody's talking about how Legion and Blindfold both know all of Righteous Ho's secrets? Okies. About damn time she gets taken down a few pegs.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    So...nobody's talking about how Legion and Blindfold both know all of Righteous Ho's secrets? Okies. About damn time she gets taken down a few pegs.
    Maybe that’s why or how she’s eventually stopped? She does something wild at gala, these two bop up, can’t fully change it back but have a way to at least understand what’s going on and how to deal with her?

Probably is all much worse but having the dominion status sounds like there’s an unstoppable scenario here.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Well they both disappeared, so they can't really tell anyone. But yes, it was good to see something not go Righteous's way.