Captain America's Fanboy ExtremisEdge's Avatar

Default Looking for a Marvel comic book buddy!

Hey guys. My name is Felipe, I'm 22, and I live in Alhambra, CA. I started following everything Marvel comics associated around April 2013. I buy comics every Wednesday at Frank and Son Collectible Show in City of Industry, CA. Lately, I've felt that I need to network and find some other young people that are into comics, especially if it's Marvel or Image. I don't read any DC except for Synder's Batman (don't spoil it. I'm still on that 3rd hardcover). Basically, I'm looking to chat with anybody online but ideally with someone in person about comics. It'd be awesome if any of you guys were also local to the area of Los Angeles or even better if you buy your comics at Frank Frank and Son's. I read just about every Marvel comic out on the shelves right now. My pull list is pretty large every week so if it's comes to it I always thought it would be awesome to split the price assuming we like to read the the same titles. You buy Captain America, and I'll buy Iron Man. Works out I hope. Anyways, I'm really the only person I know in my life who reads comics on a regular basis so reply to this thread. CBR for the win!!!

Oh I'm afraid that I can't be too picky. I'm just glad someone replied. And yes. I'm very well prepared to get yelled at or praised for what I say. I should start a comic book swap. Smart idea. How should I go about that? And once I post a thread, does it ever get even or do people have to search for it? I hope my question is clear. But let's get to purpose of my post! Comics. Marvel. Let's do do it. So what do you read? Favorite comic book writer or current series?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Welcome to CBR! To answer your latest questions: my favorite writers are Brubaker and Ellis. My favorite current series? Superior foes of spider-man, Thor god of thunder, Black science, East of West and Green arrow I think (should adjust my signature soon)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Welcome to CBR! I'm across the country.. but we're about the same age and started reading weekly around the same time. I've collected trades for quite some time before switching to individual issues when Marvel NOW launched. Basically, I read x-comics. X-Men The Animated Series is what got me interested in all super heroes and they're really all I'm interested in reading. My favorite current series is Deadpool. It's got everything any Deadpool fan can ask for and it's one of their best books these days. Otherwise, I'm reading Uncanny and Amazing X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Wolverine.. and then also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Because, duh. My favorite series in the last 10 years or so is Remender's Uncanny X-Force. It may actually be my favorite series of all time.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Hey, welcome to the community.
    If you have no luck in finding someone to split costs/swap comics with you could also check out the code swap thread in this forum. I guess it depends on how you feel about reading digitally but it has helped me read more than my budget would allow. Lots of people set up long term trades on there.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Welcome to CBR! To answer your latest questions: my favorite writers are Brubaker and Ellis. My favorite current series? Superior foes of spider-man, Thor god of thunder, Black science, East of West and Green arrow I think (should adjust my signature soon)
    I hear Superior Foes of Spider Man is vert good. I'm a big fan of Nick Spencer. He's currently writing Bedlam and Morning Glories for Image. I have issues 1-7ish for Superior Foes. Difficult to catch up since I lost track. Back issues get pricey. Brubaker is great!! Ellis is absolute gold. I haven't read much of his stuff like Hellraiser but he was great on Iron Man: Extremis and currently on Moon Knight. I just read Trees #1 which was very, very good. I like Brubaker's run on Captain America. He's superb. Thor, as many of my friends find odd, is probably one of the best series Marvel is putting out right now. I never though they could make a god so interesting. Aaron and Ribic are great together!! I'm glad they've stuck together for so long. I'm behind on Black Science. Read the first two issues. I'm a big Remender fan. I love Uncanny Avengers but I have yet to read his run on Uncanny X-Force which many say is his go to series. East of West is awesome. Very original and well told. I love Hickman but I'm behind. I have all the issues but Hickman tends to write in large arcs so I'm waiting till he releases next week's #13 and then I'll read 6-13.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Welcome to CBR! I'm across the country.. but we're about the same age and started reading weekly around the same time. I've collected trades for quite some time before switching to individual issues when Marvel NOW launched. Basically, I read x-comics. X-Men The Animated Series is what got me interested in all super heroes and they're really all I'm interested in reading. My favorite current series is Deadpool. It's got everything any Deadpool fan can ask for and it's one of their best books these days. Otherwise, I'm reading Uncanny and Amazing X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor, Wolverine.. and then also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Because, duh. My favorite series in the last 10 years or so is Remender's Uncanny X-Force. It may actually be my favorite series of all time.
    Awesome! How old are you? Feel free to email me if you like since I'm sure this conversation will continue. My email is fosuna92@gmail.com. Ya trades are the way to go if you want to catch up but they're pricey. Well comics in general are but it amounts to however much one wants to read. I read too many of the X-Books. Only the main ones like All New X-Men, Uncanny, and Magneto. I really, really sympathize with the X-Men and their cause but I sometimes really hate the way they go about it it's funny. After reading AvX I really hated Cyclops but after reading Uncanny I really came to love what he's become and his vision. I like Deadpool but he has so many spin offs and such that I imagine it would he pricey. He's in Thunderbolts and I love him as a supporting, comedic relief character. And ya I heard that Remender was really good on Uncanny X-Force and that it's his go to series. He's writing Uncanny Avengers currently which is all about the Apocalypse Twins. I don't know much about them but I know that all of their back story and origin is covered in Remender's X-Force. Well we should definitely talk more. It sucks that you're half way across the country but conversation is conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremisEdge View Post
    Awesome! How old are you? Feel free to email me if you like since I'm sure this conversation will continue. My email is fosuna92@gmail.com. Ya trades are the way to go if you want to catch up but they're pricey. Well comics in general are but it amounts to however much one wants to read. I read too many of the X-Books. Only the main ones like All New X-Men, Uncanny, and Magneto. I really, really sympathize with the X-Men and their cause but I sometimes really hate the way they go about it it's funny. After reading AvX I really hated Cyclops but after reading Uncanny I really came to love what he's become and his vision. I like Deadpool but he has so many spin offs and such that I imagine it would he pricey. He's in Thunderbolts and I love him as a supporting, comedic relief character. And ya I heard that Remender was really good on Uncanny X-Force and that it's his go to series. He's writing Uncanny Avengers currently which is all about the Apocalypse Twins. I don't know much about them but I know that all of their back story and origin is covered in Remender's X-Force. Well we should definitely talk more. It sucks that you're half way across the country but conversation is conversation.
    I'm 24. Uncanny Avengers does pull a lot from Uncanny X-Force, but I'm not reading it for some reason. I was originally, but the delays and subpar art killed the momentum for me and I've never been able to get back into it. Deadpool does get pricey... I try to limit myself to just his ongoing and Thunderbolts, but I keep buying the mini series too. He's one of the reasons why I don't read more than just x-books.

BANNED

Oh I'm afraid that I can't be too picky. I'm just glad someone replied. And yes. I'm very well prepared to get yelled at or praised for what I say. I should start a comic book swap. Smart idea. How should I go about that? And once I post a thread, does it ever get even or do people have to search for it? I hope my question is clear. But let's get to purpose of my post! Comics. Marvel. Let's do do it. So what do you read? Favorite comic book writer or current series?
    In regards to a thread (if there isn't one) you could call it "Trading Thread" or whatever you like, but nothing to do with selling. We are allowed to barter for stuff, but no monetary
    transactions are allowed on CBR. You might want to introduce yourself, say that you were looking for somebody to trade books with, and list any trade books you have. People are going to
    look at it, and if you have anything to entice them, it should grow. It should probably go in the Community Forum, but put it in Classic Comics first.

I currently read most of Marvel's current output, about 40 DC titles, and I've picked up some new Independents that I haven't read yet. Those are Shutter, Starlight,
    Southern Bastards, and Jupiter's Legacy. I'll get to them eventually, though. I'll just keep buying the new ones until I do. Oh, I also read Afterlife With Archie, which I
    tried due to the hype, and I have to admit that it is awesome. I would've never thought that possible, but it's really good. I've always considered Spider-Man and Avengers
    to be my favorite characters and books, and I used to keep X-Men in that realm, too. In fact, until recently I had complete runs of Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, and
    Uncanny X-Men from #94 forward + Giant Size #1. Times got tough so I had to raise money, and only Avengers survived unscathed. Until I replace my missing ASM and
    X-Men, my collection will be broken. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with Marvel's current output and I'm enjoying DC too. I'm just glad I had the idea to see what was going on
    in comics after 25 years away. The only problem I have with comics now is that I've bought so many over the past few years that I have to read about 12 boxes to catch up.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

I hear Superior Foes of Spider Man is vert good. I'm a big fan of Nick Spencer. He's currently writing Bedlam and Morning Glories for Image. I have issues 1-7ish for Superior Foes. Difficult to catch up since I lost track. Back issues get pricey. Brubaker is great!! Ellis is absolute gold. I haven't read much of his stuff like Hellraiser but he was great on Iron Man: Extremis and currently on Moon Knight. I just read Trees #1 which was very, very good. I like Brubaker's run on Captain America. He's superb. Thor, as many of my friends find odd, is probably one of the best series Marvel is putting out right now. I never though they could make a god so interesting. Aaron and Ribic are great together!! I'm glad they've stuck together for so long. I'm behind on Black Science. Read the first two issues. I'm a big Remender fan. I love Uncanny Avengers but I have yet to read his run on Uncanny X-Force which many say is his go to series. East of West is awesome. Very original and well told. I love Hickman but I'm behind. I have all the issues but Hickman tends to write in large arcs so I'm waiting till he releases next week's #13 and then I'll read 6-13.
    Superior Foes is amazing! It's a beatifull love letter to the villain side of the Marvel Universe and it's just hilarious every issue. For the best of Ellis you should look into his Wildstorm stuff (Stormwatch, Authority, Planetary, Global frequency), his Thunderbolts and Nextwave for Marvel and Transmetropolitan from Vertigo, that's him in in top form. I agree with East of west, that's why I get it in trades. Brubaker is on his best when he writes noir or crime books and when teamed up Sean Philips like Criminal, Incognito, Fatale and Sleeper (perhaps my favorite book ever). Yes, Uncanny X-Force is great, at least till #18. I stopped reading after that but I'm picking up the omnibus soon so than I'll read the rest. I'm also a big Remender fan, his best works are indeed Uncanny X-Force and Fear agent (Black science has real potential)
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47