Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Sam Wilson: Captain America #1

Finally a got a chance to pick this up. This definitely is very important in understanding who Sam is, and what kind of Cap he's going to be I mean its great to FINALLY get a sense for the kind of Cap that Sam is, after being teased by Remender. A lot of the issue is setup though, clearing the deck of old plot threads and establishing new relationships and conflicts. Its great to see Sam's man for the people attitude directly relay into the kind of Captain America he is but I do wish we would have gotten some specifics on his stands (I get why they don't though and understand the reasoning behind it) but we get enough of everyone's reactions to infer. The book did have a lot of action, but no big bad villain yet for Cap. I love that he handily disposes of Crossbones like a good Cap can, but I would've loved to see Acuna illustrate that. He manages to neatly pack so many panels into his art I'm sure he could've managed a few shots. Still, he draws a great Sam and is great at conveying emotion. I want a real dangerous bad guy for Sam to fight against, not LifeAlert variant Steve.

Overall, a solid first issue. With most of the framework established now Spencer is free to establish stakes with Sam both in and out of costume. I loved seeing him doing his thing and be Cap, now I want to see him beat up a little.

Absolutely loved this book. This was my favorite #1 of the Post Secret Wars MU so far. I wasn't planning to pick this up at all, but I've got to see where this is heading so it's added to my pull list.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

It did kinda suck that the Crossbones fight was off panel. If his prediction that he escapes in 2 weeks is true maybe we'll get a.on panel rematch.

Also liked that Red Wing got a sonic cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It did kinda suck that the Crossbones fight was off panel. If his prediction that he escapes in 2 weeks is true maybe we'll get a.on panel rematch.

Also liked that Red Wing got a sonic cannon.
    The banter that they had was amazing though. I think I actually prefer the verbal fight more than anything.

Also love the Redwing's approval ratings are recession-proof! The offensive weaponry is nice, but I wonder what other vamp-abilities he's got.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    The banter that they had was amazing though. I think I actually prefer the verbal fight more than anything.

Also love the Redwing's approval ratings are recession-proof! The offensive weaponry is nice, but I wonder what other vamp-abilities he's got.
    The verbal fight I enjoyed was actually the one with Maria Hill. Hopefully she's written that way all the time from now on.

And yeah, the fact that Red Wing's approval rating seems bullet proof is pretty darn cool.

Amazing Member

Finally got to read this, I can defiantly say now that Nick Spencer is my favorite writer, I will buy anything and everything he does for marvel. Somehow, despite a much more serious tone, this book is every bit as funny as Superior Foes and Ant-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The verbal fight I enjoyed was actually the one with Maria Hill. Hopefully she's written that way all the time from now on.

And yeah, the fact that Red Wing's approval rating seems bullet proof is pretty darn cool.
    Kids do love those animal sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riotzact View Post
    Finally got to read this, I can defiantly say now that Nick Spencer is my favorite writer, I will buy anything and everything he does for marvel. Somehow, despite a much more serious tone, this book is every bit as funny as Superior Foes and Ant-Man.
    For not being a BWHAHA kind of book I also found it hilarious! Spencer has seriously hit his stride over at Marvel.

Spectacular Member marcotheblerd's Avatar

I love the direction this book is going, and the art is just beautiful.

Didn't expect to like it.
    Gave it a try.
    Loved it.
    Hooked.

Astonishing Member

Acuna and Spencer deluvered in every way imaginable.Remender and Immoneon are a tough act to follow but these guys succeeded and gave us a lot to work with cor the cuture.

This was damn good! I expected to hate it but it managed to be both realistically grounded and funny. Not an easy feat.

I am not a fan of mixing political ideology with super hero books so blatantly. I felt the book was saying if you are not all about the liberal ideologies this book isn't for you. Captain America should be for everyone. Well written but the message was off putting.

On a story note before SW they kinda had Misty as being bad or least strongly hinted and now she is definitely good with no explanation and where is Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I am not a fan of mixing political ideology with super hero books so blatantly. I felt the book was saying if you are not all about the liberal ideologies this book isn't for you. Captain America should be for everyone. Well written but the message was off putting.

On a story note before SW they kinda had Misty as being bad or least strongly hinted and now she is definitely good with no explanation and where is Ian
    I do wonder how much of the stuff Remender had set up is going to be used. I feel like Secret Wars sort of cut off what was happening there... though if the writer is taking a break or whatever, I suppose that's unavoidable.

Thought I'd repaste what I had posted over on the Falcon Appreciation Thread. Apologies in advance for those who've already read this before.

"Hey all. Just wanted to say that I really liked this issue. It really gave me a good sense of who Sam is and what are his characteristics. As I can already tell, Sam Wilson's latest venture as Captain America is starting to provoke a lot of debate, discussion, and talk from posters. Still, Sam's plunge into the politics of America wasn't the only noteworthy aspect of this issue. I certainly liked the new roles that he's taking in terms of being a rebel and leading a team.

Here are my thoughts in depth:

- I nearly stood up and cheered when Sam talked about how divided the nation has become. As an American expat who is living aboard and seeing the frustration, anger, and division that is coming up in the country, I definitely relate to Sam's views. Ultimately, while we have our differences, we could always put them aside for the greater good. I liked how Sam tried to bridge the gap and bring people together, and I felt sad how that engendered a lot of bad feelings against Sam.

As for what or who Sam is championing, I'm going to go against the grain and say that he's fighting for his own side. He states as much in the issue. I think that his side doesn't neatly fit into the views of left or right, liberal or conservative, black or white. And I'm glad that (for now anyway) Spencer left what his side is up in the air by not revealing the contents of the speech. A reader could fit any interpretation into that. Indeed, in this issue Sam is fighting for undocumented immigrants. Who's to say that he won't do something that brings a smile to Conservatives next issue?

- There were a lot of great character building moments for Sam here. The fact that he's become a free agent and looks suspiciously at S.H.I.E.L.D. echoes a lot of real world events about government trust. I find it ironic that Steve is on that the side of shadowy S.H.I.E.L.D (Is he the new director)? Yeah, Steve has represented authority, but there have been numerous instances that Steve has gone up against his government and authority. Hence, that's my big fear in the new direction of Captain America. Will Steve still be the noble character that we once knew or be as conniving and secretive as Nick Fury once was? Hopefully future issues will shed light on this.

- I like the independent quality that Sam has since the odds seem stacked against him. His team of just himself, Misty, and D-Man have this ragtag, underdog quality about them. The same could be said about the way that he funds his operation. Still in the midst of all of this, he's able to take down Hydra and Crossbones. Not too shabby, I'd say.

- There were a ton of nice Spencer moments here. By that I mean there were these funny, everyman type of scenes in the story. Sam and Crossbones' conversation was funny since it had an ordinary, mundane vibe. It nearly makes up for not seeing them fight. Of course, the Sam and Misty moments were nice. C'mon, Sam everyone knows that it's just more than professional between you and Misty!

So, yeah, this was a nice issue. It seems it will tackle some hard issues. Like some other posters, I'm not one to delve into such things. Still, I am interested to see where this goes with Sam."
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."