Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Is Sam bridging a gap though. I agree we are a nation divided and we need to find a way to respect each other and reach out and understand other ideologies and compromise but to me Sam held a press conference and said this is what I believe and this is what I will fight for though we don't exactly know what he said he clearly picked a side. That's not bridging a gap. He is being captain America for only half the country

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    I am not a fan of mixing political ideology with super hero books so blatantly. I felt the book was saying if you are not all about the liberal ideologies this book isn't for you. Captain America should be for everyone. Well written but the message was off putting.

On a story note before SW they kinda had Misty as being bad or least strongly hinted and now she is definitely good with no explanation and where is Ian
    Is it really "off-putting" to have Captain America standing up to a group of thugs looking to terrorize a group of unarmed people - of which most are women and children? No matter how you feel about immigration, I don't think it's controversial at all to have Cap protect a group of defenseless people. That doesn't seem so much a "liberal" stance as it is just simple morality. And we never do know what Sam's speech was so we don't really know what viewpoints he espoused in any detail so it's not as though his specific opinions were forced on the reader - they're left to our imaginations.

As for lingering questions about Misty from Remender's run - I imagine they might deal with that eventually. No need to address it immediately.

Is Sam bridging a gap though. I agree we are a nation divided and we need to find a way to respect each other and reach out and understand other ideologies and compromise but to me Sam held a press conference and said this is what I believe and this is what I will fight for though we don't exactly know what he said he clearly picked a side. That's not bridging a gap. He is being captain America for only half the country
    It's hard to say given we don't know what he said. However given that Sam's approval rating apparently dropped below 50% I'm guessing he didn't end up sucessfully bridging a whole lot.

This is probably the best first issue of ANADM so far. Loved it.

I do wonder who is the "He who shall not be named" Sam is supposedly working with. Are they referring to Tony Stark?

BANNED

Given how divided the country is, anyone who has an opinion about anything is going to alienate at least half the country. For example, a lot of people might think it's only common sense to advocate for stronger guns laws while others perceive even the mere suggestion of that as an attack on their rights. That's just the reality of our culture today where extreme reactions are the norm.

Spectacular Member

I have never cared for Captain America before but I really loved this. I actually like Captain America for once.

Spencer is the first writer to make me give a crap about Falcon.

I'll be sticking with this book.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Given how divided the country is, anyone who has an opinion about anything is going to alienate at least half the country. For example, a lot of people might think it's only common sense to advocate for stronger guns laws while others perceive even the mere suggestion of that as an attack on their rights. That's just the reality of our culture today where extreme reactions are the norm.
    You are right and I see I am part of the problem too because I became sensitive that Spencer was saying anyone who is for tougher stance on illegal immigration is like those evil people in the desert from the issue. I think most of us are feeling sensitive and attacked on both sides so I hope their is a way for us all to find common ground and I like Spencer so I will definitely keep reading. I do wish they would address the Misty situation though because that was the cliffhanger from the last volume

You are right and I see I am part of the problem too because I became sensitive that Spencer was saying anyone who is for tougher stance on illegal immigration is like those evil people in the desert from the issue. I think most of us are feeling sensitive and attacked on both sides so I hope their is a way for us all to find common ground and I like Spencer so I will definitely keep reading. I do wish they would address the Misty situation though because that was the cliffhanger from the last volume
    Yeah, it's at least potentially more sensitive, because they're not using any sort of comic book metaphor like a lot of comics do when they tackle real life politics. We're not talking abut Atlanteans or Inhumans crossing US borders. Take off the snake outfits and it's something we could have seen on the evening news.

And intentional or not, because one side is clearly the bad guys and one side is clearly the good guys, the story is taking a side. Not that there's anything wrong with that... but if you're incorporating real life politics or religion or anything like that, you're choosing to open that can of worms. Which maybe was the whole point, who knows.

Astonishing Member

LOL. Stating your beliefs and then putting your life on the line for every person in need is not serving half the country. Believing that someone who has dedicated his life to others is now the "ebemy" because they have different beliefs than you is dividing country.

Sam bridges the gap because his heroism forces people to acknowledge we can all love this country in different ways.

I was so excited for this series and this issue was a huge disappointment. The art was pretty good but a bunch of talking heads can only look so good. It would be fine to have a such a dialogue heavy book if the dialogue wasn't so awkward. The serpent villains at the end of the book were so incredibly stupid and Spencer couldn't decide if he wanted their dialogue to be realistic, or silly, or actually evil... it was a mess. There were also a few political/social jokes and opinions that Spencer really shoehorned into the dialogue. And Maria Hill had that dumb line where she swore about the swear jar and then swore because she realized that she has said a bad word... it was like a bad sitcom joke.

Basically, this book is off of the pull list after one issue...
    Dept. H, Manifest Destiny, Moon Knight, Nighthawk, Power Man and Iron Fist, Strange Fruit

i do wonder if we will see Jet Black or Ian again. i liked Ian as Nomad...though i would like him to do something other than die and mysteriously come back again and again.

I was frankly amazed at how such a complicated issue was rendered almost cartoonishly black-and-white. The way it was presented was almost like it was propaganda, almost.

I like Sam Wilson, but I haven't been fond of him being Cap and this is frankly taking Cap to places he should not go. Unless the point is that Sam can't be a good Cap, but that's bad optics, so I doubt it.

Honestly, if we're getting stuff like this already, I can't wait for a President Rubio, Trump, Cruz, whatever. I am sure somewhere in the first six months they'll have Wilson-Cap fly on in and drop the dude from the top of the White House and have him go splat on the sidewalk for the "the greater good".
    Last edited by macattack; 10-15-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Gave it a try.
    Loved it.
    Hooked.

Absolutely this

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I love, love, LOVED this first issue. Nick Spencer's stuff is really hit-or-miss for me, and thankfully, this was a great hit. I think he's growing as a writer.

Acuña's art is great as always, and I'm glad he's on a book more rooted in reality. Don't get me wrong, the big crazy sci-fi stuff in Uncanny Avengers looks great, but I just love his lush takes on otherwise drab settings. I'm just a little confused at Misty's new costume. I'm not entirely sure that thing can stay on her body while she's jumping and punching.

I really hope Patriot shows up in this book. I think Spencer was talking about a legacy character popping back up during this run, and it would be really great to see Eli Bradley again.