Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So... X-Men 3 never officially happened?

*THIS POST MAY CONTAIN A SPOILER*

A little late to the party, I know, but I just watched Days of Future Past (sigh), and the ending had Wolverine wake up before the events of X-Men 3... or had he changed the future during his time with Xavier in the past?
    Either way, the events of the awful X-Men 3 hadn't transpired, so is it safe to assume that it was Fox's way of erasing the badness that was that film from X-istence (sorry, couldn't resist)?

Anyway, I looked up the next X-film to come, Apocalypse, on IMDb and both Jean and Scott are in it, so...?

Incredible Member

Technically, all the X-men movies (except First Class) were averted in the new timeline. Wolverine still remembers them, though his memory didn't come back until he reached his "current" point in the timeline, presumably the same year that the Future War scenes were happening in originally. That's why he was surprised to see Jean and Scott alive.

(Still doesn't explain how the hell Xavier came back, though. Or when/how Magneto became a good guy. Singer got lazy, there. )

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Well, Xavier coming back was shown in X3 post-credits. The amusing head canon you have to then wrap your head around is who he hired to make him look like Patrick Stewart again, and did the second body really end up paralyzed in the same way?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

This should help you understand what DOFP kept and removed.

First Class
    Days of Future Past (1973): Revised timeline, Trask assassination averted.
    X-Men Origins Wolverine: Couldn't have happened.
    X-Men 1: In some way. Since Rogue is at the school and has the white stripe in her hair.
    X2: Couldn't have happened, since Jean is alive.
    X3: Couldn't have happened, since Scott and Jean are alive.
    The Wolverine: Couldn't have happened, since X3 never happened.
    Days of Future Past (2023): Apocalyptic future, could not happen.

Also Logan woke up in 2023, not in 2006 (when X3 happened in the X-Men verse).

Now the timeline is

First Class
    Days of Future Past (1973)
    Apocalypse (1980)
    X1: In some way, as explained above.
    Days of Future Pasrt 2023: Happy Ending
    Old Man Logan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Well, Xavier coming back was shown in X3 post-credits. The amusing head canon you have to then wrap your head around is who he hired to make him look like Patrick Stewart again, and did the second body really end up paralyzed in the same way?
    I've been told it's mentioned in DVD/Blu-Ray bonus material that the body Charles mind-swapped to was his twin brother, but that's not really considered movie-canon, is it?

As far as Magneto being a "good guy", assuming he had a change of heart between X-3 and "present day" DoFP isn't as big of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    *THIS POST MAY CONTAIN A SPOILER*

A little late to the party, I know, but I just watched Days of Future Past (sigh), and the ending had Wolverine wake up before the events of X-Men 3... or had he changed the future during his time with Xavier in the past?
    Either way, the events of the awful X-Men 3 hadn't transpired, so is it safe to assume that it was Fox's way of erasing the badness that was that film from X-istence (sorry, couldn't resist)?

Anyway, I looked up the next X-film to come, Apocalypse, on IMDb and both Jean and Scott are in it, so...?
    If, for whatever reason, you want to keep X3 canon, you can just think of it as that it still happened, but only to Wolverine, since he's retained those memories. To the rest of the world, though, it never happened.

For X-Men: Apocalypse, the Jean and Scott in that movie are their teenage versions, so younger than their X1 counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    And Scott's the only one who aged, with his streaks of gray hair! Seriously, everyone looks great even two decades later. That's Hollywood for ya.

There's a mutant version of black don't crack.

And I think the simple explanation for any headaches is just that they wanted to use Psylocke and Angel again without having to work around what happened in X3.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Virtually all of the movies were shifted by the change in DOFP, but also most of them probably happened in some altered way that is unknown to us.

Origins: Wolverine would have to be drastically different, but some element of his past has to remain in order for him to still be Wolverine, to have met Rogue and joined to X-men later etc. If he still has his adamantium in Wolverine 3, that seals it even more, but exactly what happened we don't know.

X-men would be different, but as already said, Rogue being an X-men and having the white streak implies that it happened in some way.

X2 would be different, but Striker's anti-mutant agenda wouldn't of changed and so the conflict would still probably take place in some way.

Exactly what transpires during the X3 time period depends on Jean. Did she simply never go Phoenix this time during X2, or did she still do that but was successfully rescued from it this time without ever having caused any damage or killed people?

The Wolverine won't have a depressed Wolverine with Jean still alive, but Logan's history with a WW2 Japanese man would be unaltered, and so the events of the movie could still easily happen, just with Yukio locating him more easily.

Presumabely Xavier's in his original body as well at the end. What's interesting though is that Wolverine presumabely has no memory of the 'new' timeline, although I suppose he might adapt to it, like Marty Mcfly seemed to do in the Back to the Future movie sequels.

Actually, the switch is sort of something that happened in the comics too, although in that case it was Xavier transforming into a brood or something (Xavier from 1983 or so onwards is in a clone body I think, although his paralysis keeps coming and going depending on what happens).

I wonder if this also changed certain things about Mystique, since her change was one of the main things about DOFP-she doesn't become the somewhat more sadistic Rebbaca Romjin version. I'm thinking because Lawrence probably doesn't want to do another one after Apocalypse, that they might kill her off or something.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-19-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder if this also changed certain things about Mystique, since her change was one of the main things about DOFP-she doesn't become the somewhat more sadistic Rebbaca Romjin version. I'm thinking because Lawrence probably doesn't want to do another one after Apocalypse, that they might kill her off or something.
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see where they take Mystique. I think her willingness to kill for what she believes in is kind of baked into the character, so it's hard to imagine what she's become now that they've claimed she's never killed anyone (a plot point which I thought was kind of silly, given just how effectively badass she was).

If memory serves, she assumed William Stryker's form and took Wolverine in...but to what end?

Makes you kind of wonder what happened to her in the original timeline-it's obvious the cure didn't take (since Magneto still has his powers, and I think Rogue does later on), although the sentinels do have Mystique's powers so maybe they did some further experiments once/if they came back. Although she did betray Magneto (and vice versa).

Also it might be kind of curious about the Wolverine thing, especially since the Wolverine from the original timeline, when he returned to the 'present', seemed to 'erase' the new timeline's memories or something.

A great point about Mystique using Stryker's form to unearth Wolverine from his watery grave! I'd like to know how long he was down there - hours? Years?
    Back in the early '90s, Wolverine just healed fast. By the turn of the millennium it was pretty much instantly. Fast forward another decade or so and that nuclear powered mutant (I forget his name now) torched him into oblivion... but somehow a molecule of DNA survived on his unmeltable skeleton and his body regrew.

In X-Men 3 also, Wolverine is pretty much immortal. Personally, I feel that this ruins the character, because if he can no longer die, there's never any situation that's life-threatening, thus voiding the stakes (well, unless he doesn't want to experience any unnecessary pain).

This brings us back to Mystique as Stryker and Wolverine not remembering anything after she took on that form... There are pretty much infinite things that could have happened during that memory blackout, and creating a T-10,000 of Sentinels, who can change shape and heal instantly, could be a novel spin on bringing Mr. Sinister into the universe.

I still don't hate X3. Dania Ramirez needs more high profile work.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Do we really know when X3 was? The first X-Men took place in the "the not so distant future" or something, so X3 might not have been too far before 2023. The timeline was more of a guideline

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Do we really know when X3 was? The first X-Men took place in the "the not so distant future" or something, so X3 might not have been too far before 2023. The timeline was more of a guideline
    Yes we do know. There was a timeline released in Empire Magazine last year; when they did all the variant covers.

X3 takes place in 2007. So I was off by a year.