Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought it was pretty great. A good first start. Gave it an 8.5 out of 10. Full review here.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Did anyone else smile at learning that Ashley picks up chicks at diners? It was subtle, human and very real. When the big two introduce gay characters its always this big dog and pony show about their sexuality...but in the mignolaverse there is no pomp and circumstance, it's just a small bit of everyday normalcy and I love that approach.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Did anyone else smile at learning that Ashley picks up chicks at diners? It was subtle, human and very real. When the big two introduce gay characters its always this big dog and pony show about their sexuality...but in the mignolaverse there is no pomp and circumstance, it's just a small bit of everyday normalcy and I love that approach.
    Yeah, I loved that. I kinda went out of my way to avoid mentioning it in my review because I wanted people to discover it on the page. It is a very human moment, and I think that's very important in the presentation of gay characters.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Yeah, I loved that. I kinda went out of my way to avoid mentioning it in my review because I wanted people to discover it on the page. It is a very human moment, and I think that's very important in the presentation of gay characters.
    It was very cool just how casual it was, it was handled in the exact same way that heterosexual characters are. I mean, it's never a big deal when we see Bruce Wayne waking up next to some random supporting character and it's nice to see that here.

I thought this issue was alright, but I agree with the Mignolaversity review that the dialog could have been stepped down at least a bit.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I thought this issue was alright, but I agree with the Mignolaversity review that the dialog could have been stepped down at least a bit.
    Yeah... A few pages in, and I thought, "Boy, she sure is describing everything out loud quite a bit." Oh, well... Personally, I'm not expecting much more than filler with this arc, but that's okay.

Spectacular Member

I hope this isn't a sign of how Roberson will be writing other series, Mignola and Arcudi are really adept at knowing when to restrain their writing to let the visuals tell the story.

...the dialog could have been stepped down at least a bit.
    I agree with this too but it hasn't bothered me much.
    I've really enjoyed the two issues out so far though and am eagerly awaiting the third.

Once again, pretty overwritten in the dialog department. The opening scene could have been entirely silent. Instead we get Ashley 'Motormouth" Strode talking to herself. There's no reason for 90% of the dialog in that opening scene.

I don't mean to be rude or overly critical, just felt like it would have been a moodier scene without all the yammering.

That aside I enjoyed this issue and this arc overall. A big stall and distraction from BPRD as a whole, but enjoyable for what it was.

Also I really loved the way Mike Norton chose to draw Balam.
    Last edited by Joker; 06-15-2016 at 08:51 AM.

It seems I'm not alone: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/reviews/bprd-142/

I also agree that we haven't had this problem in Roberson's other two entires, so hopefully it doesn't continue into BPRD after Hell on Earth ends.

Spectacular Member

Maybe they could fix the problem for the trades like they did when the wrong demon was drawn a few years back. Just remove the unnecessary dialog that Ashley spouts to herself and BOOM instantly better comics.

It seems I'm not alone: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/reviews/bprd-142/

I also agree that we haven't had this problem in Roberson's other two entires, so hopefully it doesn't continue into BPRD after Hell on Earth ends.
    Honestly, I think this may have been a situation where Chris Roberson had to salvage the story in a hurry. I don't see this story as a reflection of his ability as a writer, more an effect of very tight time constraints. But, just to clarify, I know absolutely nothing about the behind-the-scenes of this story. I'm speculating just as much as anyone.

It did feel a bit rushed, but I thought Ashley was written well.

The Claw of Justice!

I'm afraid I have to agree with the criticism from the Mignolaversity review. The unnecessary dialogue was very frustrating to read, especially the moment when Ashley summoned her sword and then paused to comment on it before doing anything.
    On a lighter note, I'm really looking forward to the next BPRD arc.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I'm afraid I have to agree with the criticism from the Mignolaversity review. The unnecessary dialogue was very frustrating to read, especially the moment when Ashley summoned her sword and then paused to comment on it before doing anything.
    On a lighter note, I'm really looking forward to the next BPRD arc.
    Completely agree as well. For me it made the issue seem a little juvenile, as if it was someone's first attempt at writing a comic.
    The art was great though. Really well done. I think it would have been appreciated even more without the unnecessary word balloons.
    All-in-all an enjoyable read. I've read all three issues again now that it is complete. Ashley is a great character.