Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Really doubt it. Birthright started gaining a foothold at a time when the canon origin of the day was getting really old, with the mythos moving further in an alternate direction from MOS's original mission statement. Morrison's origin is only 4 years old and still a clear foundation for the current stories. Not even mentioning its a pretty flawless origin.
    Morrison's is pretty open when it comes to the 'formative years'.

We know Clark interacted with Legion, but not about any specific adventures
    We know Clark set out after the Kents passed away, but no specifics as to where and what he did
    We know he played pranks and Pa even gave him ideas

(Actually, Ma's sort of missing in all this, really, now that I think about it...)

There's room to fold things in, and to have things 'come back' to bite Clark on the bum. Plenty of room for fun

Ah, I see what you mean. Fitting things in to what already exists would certainly work, I guess it just depends on if anything Landis does outright contradicts Morrison's stuff. Which it certainly has the allowance to do I'd imagine, as its not constrained by continuity. If it happens not to contradict anything though, then yeah folding stuff in could work.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I've got high hopes for this mini series ... hopefully, it doesn't disappoint

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ah, I see what you mean. Fitting things in to what already exists would certainly work, I guess it just depends on if anything Landis does outright contradicts Morrison's stuff. Which it certainly has the allowance to do I'd imagine, as its not constrained by continuity. If it happens not to contradict anything though, then yeah folding stuff in could work.
    In the preview, a prepubescent Clark Kent is flying — indeed, the whole point of the preview is how he and his parents cope with his first flight. As I recall, Morrison's Superman didn't gain the ability to fly until sometime after his debut in Metropolis; it was part of the whole “faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound” vibe he started out with.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Incredible Member

On a side note and without hunting down/making a thread, I was very excited for both this and Neal Adams Superman: Coming of the Supermen when announced at SDCC, but we haven't heard anything about the latter pretty much since then, right? Have I missed anything, do we have an indication for a release window or...?

Always Rakzo

This was better than I expected actually.

Nice character beats, good emotional moments, classic Superman stuff, etc.

I think I'm on board.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    On a side note and without hunting down/making a thread, I was very excited for both this and Neal Adams Superman: Coming of the Supermen when announced at SDCC, but we haven't heard anything about the latter pretty much since then, right? Have I missed anything, do we have an indication for a release window or...?
    adams book is for february 2016

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Solid comic. I don't think it's as good as a lot of people are making it out to be, but a really good Young Clark Kent story. Looking forward to where it goes from here.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

it is all kinds of cute and heartwarming

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I really enjoyed it today!

I look forward to the next 6 issues (kinda wish it was an ongoing)

Best DC book I read today:

American Alien #1
    BM/SM #2
    Batman...oops, I mean Jimbat; dead last

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

I actually liked this issue. The idea behind a so simple yet so intriguing and engaging story is an idea actually well thought out. Art really fit the mood of the story though using visual ques to tell the story didn't work as well. I felt the story was done in set pieces and it took out most of the natural flow of plot progression and it felt like we were jumping from one set piece to another rather hastily. This problem could easily have been solved by a third person omniscient narrator or a narrator from within the story itself. We see a very similar thing in Loeb and Sale's Superman for all season where they arrange a rather unconventional story with a lot of set pieces and narration from specific character from within the story gives a way better sense of flow to the story. Some problems aside this was a Superman story done well with with lot of heart and warmth at its core and moments of joy or sadness or worry executed properly.

I hasn't enjoyed a book like this in many time. Very emotiona anld warm. It was good to see those adventures in Smallville and the fears and hopes than Jonathan and Clark share. The art superb and Landis knows when the artist can tell the story. Count me in.
    Also, nobody read the last page? It gives us a lot of new background interesting details: Marta Kent, veterinary; an unborn son lost under tragic circunstances, the subsequent depression, the history of the romance.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 11-11-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Arriving in winter, in a rural farming community, makes it easier to cover up.

As for this issue, I'm excited for this book. The preview did nothing for me, not even remotely, but I'm interested in seeing where this goes. I'm more keen on exploring Clark as a young man wandering the world, as opposed to more Smallville/raising Superbaby stuff for the umpteenth time. Hopefully Landis delivers something unique here.
    Just try landing a crashed spaceship in a field in the middle of snowmobile season without fifty people seeing it. I dare you!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    In the preview, a prepubescent Clark Kent is flying — indeed, the whole point of the preview is how he and his parents cope with his first flight. As I recall, Morrison's Superman didn't gain the ability to fly until sometime after his debut in Metropolis; it was part of the whole “faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound” vibe he started out with.
    Of course Morrison's fifth issue was called "When Superman Learned to Fly" and involved adventures as a preteen with the Legion of Super-Heroes and flight rings, so it comes really close to just being like "hey, anything goes, man." I like to think that even if he didn't achieve master flight until he was an adult becoming Superman, there were childhood incidents.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What I would like to see, and I don't know why they didn't do this in the past four years or so, is an in continuity mini about his childhood and how he used his powers then. We know he's had strength at least from day one and various books have hinted he used his powers as a kid to help people. There really is room for something like this. If they can sell the idea of a de-powered Superman to the public, why not one that is just younger? At least then his lower power level would make sense.