Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I saw some less than kind reviews of this issue and just wanted to jump into the thread to mention that they're out there, they exist, and those who wrote them are idiots. Or at least just inherently anti-Landis biased. Which I suppose I understand. He's a dude my age and he's definitely somewhere between 'overly passionate' and 'totally annoying' when he does his diatribes. I can see how that would be off-putting, if you were the type sensitive enough about your opinions to actually care when somebody you don't know expresses anything with more zeal online in a public space than you would. Or even if you were just curmudgeonly and think overzealousness is overcompensation for simple interpretations, which I guess would be the criticism I could level if I cared enough to.

But I'm right there, man. Issue one was excellent comics, and from a relative novice at working in the format.
    Ha! It's funny that you mention it because I was actually ready to destroy this online if it would have been actually bad.

I find Landis' personality incredibly annoying and I don't really think that his supposed bipolarity is a good excuse for it as some people have pointed out. I have a couple of friends with bipolar disorders and while they do present some egocentric tendencies (which is a classic symptom of such illness), they have enough sense to control themselves from going overboard. Landis however, is transparently douchy about his own importance and that's one of the things that can easily make me hate a guy.

However, quality ultimately beats whatever I think about the person responsible for it so I had to praise this anyway.

Thought the issue was fantastic all ages fun now that I've read the whole thing.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I thought it was fine. Not really anything special as far as "origins" go. Had kind of a MOS movie feel to it. He had other powers before this, obviously, but it highlights what is perhaps the most important. My only real hang up, I suppose, is that so many other people also know. I guess I can understand bringing in the family doctor but Ben Hubbard? It did address the obvious problem with being able to fly, how DO you get down that first time? And how do you find out what the "trigger" is? In all other versions he just sort of discovered it and that was it. He had full control (or at least knew how to turn it on) from day one. The last page just seems like a set up for unnecessary drama. Obviously I assume we'll get more details about them in future issues.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Ha! It's funny that you mention it because I was actually ready to destroy this online if it would have been actually bad.

I find Landis' personality incredibly annoying and I don't really think that his supposed bipolarity is a good excuse for it as some people have pointed out. I have a couple of friends with bipolar disorders and while they do present some egocentric tendencies (which is a classic symptom of such illness), they have enough sense to control themselves from going overboard. Landis however, is transparently douchy about his own importance and that's one of the things that can easily make me hate a guy.
    well, just to be clear about that, I think that Landis' personality is a confluence of things, including some kind of frenzy which he was able to channel into his writing (I mean, has anyone taken a look at his site? There are pitches for something like 60 scripts he has already completed, including a Super mario World one which had no chance to be made), a self-proclaimed love for the booze and limitless narcissism. But if he is so good at writing, who cares? I mean, if I had to admire works of art (writing, scuplture, cinema, etc) created exclusively by people I like, the list would be EXTREMELY short. At the moment, Landis is a tornado of ideas. And, as far as as their writing is concerned, a good writer who is a douche will always be better than a bland writer who is nice. I am not supposed to be Landis' friend, I am supposed to enjoy his works.
    Last edited by Myskin; 11-13-2015 at 01:14 AM.

It was fun (the art really helped) but (and I know I'm in the minority here) I just think Clark would be more...something. Self-aware isn't the right word, neither is confident, and 'self-assured' would make him come across 'old'. It's something a lot of kids have when they find they're good at something - the kid who draws well; the one who who's clocked on how to get the ball into the top corner of the net; the young gymnast who got the backflip down - they go off and practice and explore and become (or try to) better.

I've always felt that, despite any initial fear, Clark would go ahead and explore what he could do. In private, sure, but he would still test himself and learn what he could and couldn't do.

So, for me, the excited Clark at the end was what rang truer than the fearful one post-float. At the time of the floating he was already aware of his otherness (I can totally that bathroom scene happening if he had only just found out, but Clark here had known for a decent while that he was different. Yes, the fear of the Kents would have an influence but the fact that (in this take) there were a few people who were aware of Clark's otherness (even if they didn't know exactly what it was) would have given him (and the Kents) some reassurance).

Clark is different. It's not a disease for him to be ashamed of, and it's not something 'freakish' or anything like that.

Clark is...

There was a kid I went to school with, and he had a knack for programming. He would cobble together fun games and password-protectors and so on, but there were those who would 'rip' him for it - mock him, etc - so he began to hide what he could do. Clark is that but to an nth degree (sorry, my head's all over the place at the moment so my analogies etc are a little off).

Anyway, I enjoyed it and will be checking out the rest of the issues.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    It was fun (the art really helped) but (and I know I'm in the minority here) I just think Clark would be more...something. Self-aware isn't the right word, neither is confident, and 'self-assured' would make him come across 'old'. It's something a lot of kids have when they find they're good at something - the kid who draws well; the one who who's clocked on how to get the ball into the top corner of the net; the young gymnast who got the backflip down - they go off and practice and explore and become (or try to) better.

I've always felt that, despite any initial fear, Clark would go ahead and explore what he could do. In private, sure, but he would still test himself and learn what he could and couldn't do.

So, for me, the excited Clark at the end was what rang truer than the fearful one post-float. At the time of the floating he was already aware of his otherness (I can totally that bathroom scene happening if he had only just found out, but Clark here had known for a decent while that he was different. Yes, the fear of the Kents would have an influence but the fact that (in this take) there were a few people who were aware of Clark's otherness (even if they didn't know exactly what it was) would have given him (and the Kents) some reassurance).

Clark is different. It's not a disease for him to be ashamed of, and it's not something 'freakish' or anything like that.

Clark is...

There was a kid I went to school with, and he had a knack for programming. He would cobble together fun games and password-protectors and so on, but there were those who would 'rip' him for it - mock him, etc - so he began to hide what he could do. Clark is that but to an nth degree (sorry, my head's all over the place at the moment so my analogies etc are a little off).

Anyway, I enjoyed it and will be checking out the rest of the issues.

I enjoy reading about the Kents guiding Clark to explore his powers, but I do dislike the idea of Superman as the original "mutant". I definitely think kids appreciate having exceptional skills and also prefer Superman to more joyful as a kid and an adult. Still, loved the issue!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I enjoy reading about the Kents guiding Clark to explore his powers, but I do dislike the idea of Superman as the original "mutant". I definitely think kids appreciate having exceptional skills and also prefer Superman to more joyful as a kid and an adult. Still, loved the issue!
    He still seemed pretty darn joyful to me (more than just the ending). He doesn't have to be upbeat about everything that happens to him, does he? That would be pretty ridiculous, I think.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He still seemed pretty darn joyful to me (more than just the ending). He doesn't have to be upbeat about everything that happens to him, does he? That would be pretty ridiculous, I think.
    Agreed. Clark knows he is different, but it is every day things that planted the seed of fear in Clark, like the drive-in movie theater scene where he was becoming afraid and questioning if that is what would happen in real life. That was nice to see because it showed Clark is still a little boy and these thoughts happen. I know when I was little and I watched a horror movie, thoughts would pop in my mind of that nature as well.

This issue lived up to the hype to me. I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire comic and it went by very fast. The individual moments between Clark and Pa were excellent and heartwarming. Landis wrote the beginning scenes with emotion and I can feel the anxiety of the situation when Clark was drifting away.

Landis made me feel what Clark and the Kents were feeling and sometimes, I don't get that from other comics. The art fit the tone of the comic of a young Clark and I invested in each page because of it. Loved the iconic poses as well from Superman #1 when Clark would drift and when Jonathan ripped his red sweatshirt that formed his cape on the next page. Nice little subtle nudges from Landis in this issue like that..even with Lana looking at Clark like she knows something.

Overall, Landis is off to the start I expected and he delivered more of a heartfelt story than I initially thought I would get. Count me in for this series. I like what Landis is bringing to the table and love the idea of one end of the spectrum to the other in the way he's going to tell Clark's story.

Maybe, but it would be less cliched than the tortured and isolated X Men model of heroes.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by justiceleaguer View Post
    Because Action Comics #1, though it has a June 1938 cover date, actually hit news stands in February of that year. That's why Superman always arrives on earth in the winter, and why his birthday is celebrated then. Also, a large blizzard happened not long after he landed, making it difficult for the Kents to get into town, this accounts for how the Kents could just miraculously end up with a baby in the late spring months to the people of Smallville without it seeming suspicious (leading to the assumption that Martha was pregnant during the winter months).

I think this book looks awesome. I love that Max Landis seems to be writing Superman as a PERSON, as that is who he is. He is Clark Kent with the powers of Superman, reporter Clark at the Daily Planet is a façade where he downplays himself, and Superman is another façade where he presents himself as a sort of fireman always willing to help - the only thing that doesn't change with these different identities he takes on is his morality. This is who Superman is, and not a pretentious, self elevated space Jesus messiah sent here to "show us the way" and fulfill the will of his space ghost dad like Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel and other things try to portray him as. That's so against who the character is, and it dehumanizes him and makes him boring. Superman was sent away to save himself, not us, and he only becomes Superman because the Kents raised him to be a good person and he decides to create a costume/identity to use his powers to help, not because of his holy space ghost dad telling him to put on a costume.

I'm looking forward to this book, and am really hoping that Landis gives him the REAL Superman costume (trunks and all) if the time comes in this series, and not that New Fifty-Screw robo-puzzle-armor garbage or the Snyderverse chainmail/snakeskin rubber piping suit. With this book and the Dan Jurgens series, it's good to finally see not only a Superman book, but a DC book that has me genuinely excited again.
    There's room for both origins and there's room for multiple characterizations of Superman to be told by creators. In 77 years, I'm glad we have both interpretations of Apple Pie eating Clark Kent Superman wearing a knitted costume from his mother and Kryptonian chainmail; family crest; Phantom Drive Superman that rings true to his Kryptonian; sci-fi roots of his deceased home alien planet. What I love about Superman is that no matter which version is in at the moment, the true core of the character remains true and that's a morally driven figure who is here to help. That's why I love Superman and always will.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Maybe, but it would be less cliched than the tortured and isolated X Men model of heroes.
    I hate that people think the X-Men are the only heroes that can feel conflicted about their powers. Or that it's become cliched to feel strange, at first, about one's otherness.

I'd say for a little kid who just broke the laws of physics in his sleep, he's taking it remarkably well. Far from the supposed "X-men mold"

He cant be joyful for everything you know. Superman is no stranger to loneliness and prejudice.

I hate that people think the X-Men are the only heroes that can feel conflicted about their powers. Or that it's become cliched to feel strange, at first, about one's otherness.

I'd say for a little kid who just broke the laws of physics in his sleep, he's taking it remarkably well. Far from the supposed "X-men mold"
    i think with Superman you have a chance to go places that other characters haven't gone before and with Superman, sure I guess he'd feel conflicted but, it's not original.

My vision for Superman is not a typical teen, or kid, I imagine him as always able to find the hope in a situation. I don't think of that as less human, but just blessed with the best of what it means to be human.

I do get that loneliness aspect though and that's why Krypto and the Legion are so essential in my view of the character.

And once again, I loved the comic. The Kents, learning his powers, there's a big sense of wonder in this story and I found that lacking in say, Superman for All Seasons.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 11-13-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    Agreed. Clark knows he is different, but it is every day things that planted the seed of fear in Clark, like the drive-in movie theater scene where he was becoming afraid and questioning if that is what would happen in real life. That was nice to see because it showed Clark is still a little boy and these thoughts happen. I know when I was little and I watched a horror movie, thoughts would pop in my mind of that nature as well.

This issue lived up to the hype to me. I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire comic and it went by very fast. The individual moments between Clark and Pa were excellent and heartwarming. Landis wrote the beginning scenes with emotion and I can feel the anxiety of the situation when Clark was drifting away.

Landis made me feel what Clark and the Kents were feeling and sometimes, I don't get that from other comics. The art fit the tone of the comic of a young Clark and I invested in each page because of it. Loved the iconic poses as well from Superman #1 when Clark would drift and when Jonathan ripped his red sweatshirt that formed his cape on the next page. Nice little subtle nudges from Landis in this issue like that..even with Lana looking at Clark like she knows something.

Overall, Landis is off to the start I expected and he delivered more of a heartfelt story than I initially thought I would get. Count me in for this series. I like what Landis is bringing to the table and love the idea of one end of the spectrum to the other in the way he's going to tell Clark's story.
    I enjoyed it for many of the same, well eloquated, reasons. The more creative acknowledgements to established canon turning points the better too.