View Poll Results: Which Ladies Would You Want On-Going Titles For? (multiple choice)

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batwoman (Kate Kane)

70 31.11%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

33 14.67%
  • Cheetah

15 6.67%
  • Cyclone (Maxine Hunkel)

16 7.11%
  • Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman

78 34.67%
  • Katana

47 20.89%
  • Lady Shiva

26 11.56%
  • Poison Ivy

38 16.89%
  • Power Ring (Jessica Cruz)

29 12.89%
  • Raven

37 16.44%
  • Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore)

63 28.00%
  • Star Sapphire

23 10.22%
  • Supergirl

79 35.11%
  • Vixen

109 48.44%
  • Zatanna

127 56.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Tbf, people usually don't know what they want until they get it. I mean, who was asking for Superman or Batman comics before those characters' debuts?
    Well, that's true. And obviously DC is willing to take a chance with lesser known properties (I mean, really, who had even heard of Prez? I only knew of the concept thanks to a DC Encyclopedia) so there's no real reason for Vixen to *not* get a series. But there's also no real reason for her to either.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that when DC was looking for weird, off-the-wall titles to launch over these last few years, no one came to them with a solid Vixen pitch. Now with the cartoon out, maybe she'll start to get enough buzz that DC will actively hunt down writers to pitch a Vixen series. And I hope they do. Ive never been the biggest Vixen fan but I like the concept and the cartoon was fun for what it was. I'd be interested in seeing more of her. But she's so far from being any kind of priority right now, it'd be more surprising if they had given her a series already.

Canary on the other hand, has a fanbase and a successful history with the Birds as well as a heightened public awareness thanks to Arrow. She's more of a safe bet than a lot of the titles DC has launched lately, actually.

And her book is lots of fun, if you're not reading it you should check it out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, that's true. And obviously DC is willing to take a chance with lesser known properties (I mean, really, who had even heard of Prez? I only knew of the concept thanks to a DC Encyclopedia) . . .
    And some of us bought a few issues when the series originally was published.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What?

What does SDCC 2016 have to do with anything?
    My bad. I conflated the SDCC news, with release dates of these comics. There actually is no set date for Wolvman's miniseries.

BANNED

Dissapointing to see so little backup for Raven Especially in the face of a few choices who's already had a shot at a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Dissapointing to see so little backup for Raven Especially in the face of a few choices who's already had a shot at a solo.
    I know right?

It's just you and me, mate.

I'd also give Kimiyo Hoshi her own solo title.

Hawk and Dove (Holly and Dawn) should get a crack at the whips in a book. Since every reboot to get Hank and Dawn working has fell on it's face.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I know right?

Hawk and Dove (Holly and Dawn) should get a crack at the whips in a book. Since every reboot to get Hank and Dawn working has fell on it's face.
    well, I kinda understand the appeal of most of the choices, if not simply to see them return to a monthly appearance.
    Like Batwoman proved from the get go it could be done well... and then proved how to totally ruin it later.
    Supergirl is a no-brainer with the show out... but maybe there just arent any brains going to make a viable comicbook for her?

And then there are some that I don't get:
    Hawkgirl: Unless we are talking about the Earth-2 version... eh pass, the character is a tangled mess with no up or down and has been that for ages; hence why the cartoon version is probably the best version thats been for decades.
    Poison Ivy: This one I really don't get, because she is for all intents and purposes; a villain. Her cause might be noble enough, but so is Ra's al Ghul's and the two aren't above large scale murder to get what they want.

Actually I would like to see what they could do with Hoshi now a days, plus it's good for diversity... also in the sense that you for once have a Japanese character who isn't either a samurai or a ninja (hence why I'd rather read her book than I would one with Katana).

Yeah, Hank and Dawn is a pairing I feel should just stop appearing. Hank is to me just a sort of short-tempered caveman and Dawn is essentially just around to reign him in before he does something monumentally stupid. Not to say Holly didn't do stupid things... but she was just more fun... just another sad pointless casualty of Blackest Night AKA how DC killed off alot of 'unwanted' characters.

well, I kinda understand the appeal of most of the choices, if not simply to see them return to a monthly appearance.
    Like Batwoman proved from the get go it could be done well... and then proved how to totally ruin it later.
    Supergirl is a no-brainer with the show out... but maybe there just arent any brains going to make a viable comicbook for her?

And then there are some that I don't get:
    Hawkgirl: Unless we are talking about the Earth-2 version... eh pass, the character is a tangled mess with no up or down and has been that for ages; hence why the cartoon version is probably the best version thats been for decades.
    Poison Ivy: This one I really don't get, because she is for all intents and purposes; a villain. Her cause might be noble enough, but so is Ra's al Ghul's and the two aren't above large scale murder to get what they want.

Actually I would like to see what they could do with Hoshi now a days, plus it's good for diversity... also in the sense that you for once have a Japanese character who isn't either a samurai or a ninja (hence why I'd rather read her book than I would one with Katana).

Yeah, Hank and Dawn is a pairing I feel should just stop appearing. Hank is to me just a sort of short-tempered caveman and Dawn is essentially just around to reign him in before he does something monumentally stupid. Not to say Holly didn't do stupid things... but she was just more fun... just another sad pointless casualty of Blackest Night AKA how DC killed off alot of 'unwanted' characters.
    QFT mate. I agree 100%.

There are a lot of characters who have potential, that are just not being utilized.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Wouldn't giving her a solo series be a good way to untangle the mess then?
    Honestly, within the current continuity the Hawks aren't really that confusing. You have the Thanagarian versions on Prime-Earth and Kendra Saunders (based on the Golden Age version of Hawkgirl) on Earth-2. It seems really easy to work with to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I know right?

The female Hawk and Dove were the only version I liked. The characters don't really appeal to me but I'd be willing to give a Hawk and Dove book a shot if it was Holly and Dawn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    Wouldn't giving her a solo series be a good way to untangle the mess then?
    Honestly, within the current continuity the Hawks aren't really that confusing. You have the Thanagarian versions on Prime-Earth and Kendra Saunders (based on the Golden Age version of Hawkgirl) on Earth-2. It seems really easy to work with to me.
    Depends if the character is actually worth the effort at the current stage. The Earth-1 Hawkgirl/woman is, last I looked, an enemy of Hawkman... who I can't tell if he is just delusional or an actual alien. And you have to ask, are you giving this character a shot at a solo because you have an interesting story in mind, or because you want to do repairs?

And the Earth-2 version has real wings grafted onto her by the means of magic. I could/would go with this version simply as a winged Indiana Jones. But I dont think it's going to help Earth-1 to introduce more Hawkgirls... which leaves us exactly in the same mess the New 52 could have solved for the character.
    The risk however is that eventually a writer is going to show up and want to bring back bits and pieces from the pre-new 52... the ties to ancient history, reincanated lover of Hawkman, that sorcerer chap and so on.

If I am honest, I'd say DC should just stick with Kendra on Earth-2 and stick completely with the mystical aspect (and bring back Dr. Fate... whereever did he go?), and let Hawkman on Earth-1 deal with the Thanagarians and aliens.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 11-05-2015 at 02:14 AM.

BANNED

Doctor fate is on earth 1 being written by paul levitz, it has nothing to do with the doctor fate from earth 2

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    Doctor fate is on earth 1 being written by paul levitz, it has nothing to do with the doctor fate from earth 2
    Did anyone say otherwise?

Depends if the character is actually worth the effort at the current stage. The Earth-1 Hawkgirl/woman is, last I looked, an enemy of Hawkman... who I can't tell if he is just delusional or an actual alien. And you have to ask, are you giving this character a shot at a solo because you have an interesting story in mind, or because you want to do repairs?

And the Earth-2 version has real wings grafted onto her by the means of magic. I could/would go with this version simply as a winged Indiana Jones. But I dont think it's going to help Earth-1 to introduce more Hawkgirls... which leaves us exactly in the same mess the New 52 could have solved for the character.
    The risk however is that eventually a writer is going to show up and want to bring back bits and pieces from the pre-new 52... the ties to ancient history, reincanated lover of Hawkman, that sorcerer chap and so on.

If I am honest, I'd say DC should just stick with Kendra on Earth-2 and stick completely with the mystical aspect (and bring back Dr. Fate... whereever did he go?), and let Hawkman on Earth-1 deal with the Thanagarians and aliens.
    Im conflicted when it comes to the Hawks. On one hand, I love the concept (both reincarnation and alien space cops) and think that Hawkgirl (Shayera preferably but anyone will do) has a lot to offer. But they're such a mess right now, it would take a lot of effort to untangle them. And you have to ask, is it worth it? Even Johns, who did as good a job fixing the franchise as anyone could have at the time, wasnt able to make the solo title fly.

I feel like a politician putting things off until after an election, but if it were me I'd just wait and see how Legends of Tomorrow does. If that is well received and people like Kendra, maybe its time to start shopping around for a pitch that can ride that popularity wave. You could easily just sweep a lot of the current Hawk-history under the rug and ignore it and start fresh, much like Batgirl and Black Canary have.

Perhaps a team book is the best choice right now. Fix the Hawks in JLU or something, and then spin them into a solo if there's a demand for it.

Hell, you could take a lot of the CW characters to make up the roster. Atom, Firestorm, Vibe, Vixen, Arrow, Hawkgirl, Booster Gold (instead of Rip Hunter).....for the most part those are characters who aren't getting much love in the comics....maybe they as a team they could sell (as long as the comics dont just copy the show, which proved terrible with Arrow).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Earth-1 doesn't have to introduce anymore Hawkgirls technically. Shayera was already introduced in the Hawkman. I feel like if we can have multiple Flashes and Green Lanterns on different Earths we can have a Hawkgirl on Earth-2 and Hawkwoman on Earth-1. They can tweak Shayera to be more similar to the cartoon version to appeal to fans of that character and promote Kendra on Earth-2 while she's in Legends of Tomorrow.

To answer your question, though... I'd want a series for Shayera because I like her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im conflicted when it comes to the Hawks. On one hand, I love the concept (both reincarnation and alien space cops) and think that Hawkgirl (Shayera preferably but anyone will do) has a lot to offer. But they're such a mess right now, it would take a lot of effort to untangle them. And you have to ask, is it worth it? Even Johns, who did as good a job fixing the franchise as anyone could have at the time, wasnt able to make the solo title fly.

I feel like a politician putting things off until after an election, but if it were me I'd just wait and see how Legends of Tomorrow does. If that is well received and people like Kendra, maybe its time to start shopping around for a pitch that can ride that popularity wave. You could easily just sweep a lot of the current Hawk-history under the rug and ignore it and start fresh, much like Batgirl and Black Canary have.

Perhaps a team book is the best choice right now. Fix the Hawks in JLU or something, and then spin them into a solo if there's a demand for it.

Hell, you could take a lot of the CW characters to make up the roster. Atom, Firestorm, Vibe, Vixen, Arrow, Hawkgirl, Booster Gold (instead of Rip Hunter).....for the most part those are characters who aren't getting much love in the comics....maybe they as a team they could sell (as long as the comics dont just copy the show, which proved terrible with Arrow).
    Successful appearances in tv and movies doesn't always help characters though. Both John Stewart and Kaldur appeared in tow well received tv shows. The former has been shoved into the background ever since and the latter hasn't even been mentioned in the New 52. Artemis from Young Justice had a cameo in The Culling only to be killed off.

At the end, what results in a solo has and always will rely on the editors.