BANNED

Default Pitch a comic NOT based in a major city. Or in space.

Central, Coast, New York, Hub, Gotham. Both the Big Two do it. All the heroes work in huge metropolitan sprawls with plenty of buildings to pose on or smash through. It's downright novel that Ms. Marvel is based across the river in Jersey City, or that Billy Batson lives in Philly rather than New York or Metropolis.

This thread is where you can come up with a less urban setting for a compelling superhero story. It can be for an existing character or a hypothetical one, and can be in either the DC or Marvel Universe. (Or neither, if it doesn't need the connection)

I want to see a paranormal detective in the Black Hills of South Dakota. A sort of cross between Jonah Hex and Hellblazer. The Black Hills are in driving distance of every biome in Central North America; plains, mountains, desert, badlands, etc. And you could set it in any time period without really having to alter much. I'd probably set it in the DC Universe for potential Jonah Hex crossovers, but it doesn't particularly matter.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

"Marville" Volume 2: It's a reboot of the classic Bill Jemas series. Kal-AOL Turner is sent back in time to present day Marville, Kansas and learns to be a superhero.

A mini-series where a young teen on the streets of Detroit, scrounges up pieces of Iron man armor to fashion himself his own suit of armor to fight the crime of Detroit. The armor has to look like it was made of various pieces, banged up and slightly damaged.

Black Panther's next book
    We need better comics

Ultimate Member

Man-Thing's supernatural swamp / nexus of realities notion was intriguing.

Playing along that vein, in the Marvel Universe, we've got the Savage Land. No major cities there, and a ton of awesome potential. But that might be missing the concept of 'rural adventures.' Ditto something like the subterranean lands, dealing with Moloids and Deviants and Set-worshipping serpent folk and whatnot. Also the Wundagore mountain area, in '616 Europe.' New Men / Knights of Wundagore forming their own Atomic Steed-riding anthropomorphic Euro-super-team. Cults to Cthon. Doom's Latveria is a close neighbor...

A supernatural or crime-thriller detective story set on a reservation, starring someone like American Eagle, or even a non-powered native American like Wyatt Wingfoot, could be funky. (Preferably not one of the native American heroes with 'Indian powers' like Red Wolf or Black Crow or Green Clover or whatever.) Perhaps a desert reservation, in the Southwest, perhaps a more wooded area, like up in Oregon or Washington state. The two climates would lend themselves to very different storylines, I think. Similarly, setting the story in the Seminole lands of the Okefenokee (sp?) swamp could deal with drug smugglers passing over and through, invasive giant constrictors, pollution dumping, Cuban boat-people, racial tensions (the whole 'black Seminole' thing) as well as the various not so normal things that crop up in the 616 world, like crashed alien spaceships and monsters and mutants and magic and demon cat-people shapeshifters living among the rare Florida pumas...

Coastal heroes, based in Maine or Nova Scotia or Greenland or something, people like Stingray (although he's more a Pacific ocean presence, now that I think of it...), dealing with aquatic affairs that are far from Atlantean waters, such as a bunch of mysterious attacks on fishermen that turn out to be from a catch of Plodex eggs that just hatched (and are hangry), or undersea Deviants / Lemurians / whatever acting up, or some aquatic half-fish-peep cultists to a Cthulhu/Dagon-like entity not known before now, 'cause it's been dead/sleeping in it's non-Euclidean city beneath the sea. Marrina pretty much owns this niche, and other Beta/Gamma Flight rejects could join her, for a combination of 'sleepy little coastal town murder mysteries' and oceanic adventures.

And hey, there's that Pacific Ocean. Someone's got to keep an eye on whatever leftover beasties Dr. Demonicus left behind, and Stingray is just the man for the job! (The 'job' of mashing the big red button and saying, "Guys, Godzilla is heading your way. Send Thor, 'cause I *don't* got this...") Toss him onto a new version of whatever floating base *hasn't* been sunk to the bottom of the ocean. (Hydrobase? Utopia? Attilan? When will people in the 616 universe realize that building anything, *EVER*, is a losing proposition, 'cause the next writer absolutely will trash it in a fit of pique?) Toss in some related characters, or people not being used elsewhere. (Hey, that's where the Quinjet that Swordsman and Yellowjacket 2 where taking away from Dead Avengers ran out of gas! So now they live there with Stingray, his wife, and their on-again/off-again frenemy Tiger Shark.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 06-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Let's limit this to Marvel-based ideas. A separate thread for DC can be started in its own forum.

For me, I'd like to see someone do a mini on Fraction's on-off Filipino superhero team, the Triumph Division (which appeared in Invincible Iron Man #2). Marvel can outsource it, have the dialog in Filipino, and there are Filipino artists (Leinil Yu and Carlo Pagulayan, for example) who can draw it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

As bland as I find World, Spencer did just introduce a concept I love in it: SPEAR and the Ascendants. SPEAR is the Chinese counterpart to SHIELD, and the Ascendants are their superhero team. And they seem pretty damned awesome to me. Too awesome for the fate that seems inevitable: Show up four issues from now, do some background stuff while the Avengers take down the Madripoor dragon monster thing, and then drop into limbo, either never appearing again or only appearing in order to be killed off to show how dangerous some villain is.

I want Marvel to do a SPEAR mini. They really, really deserve that chance.

So, a book set all around China.

I would like to see more of the great lakes avengers, they live in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I want to see a paranormal detective in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
    Cameo by Rocket Raccoon?

Hey, has there ever been a superhero team that was near the Silicon Valley?

Didn't JMS do this when he put Thor and Asgard at Broxton, Oklahoma? There were plenty of ordinary civilians wearing jeans and driving pickup trucks in those comics. And it paid off for JMS when in the first Thor movie he was cast as a local trying to pick up Mjolnir.

Also one of the iterations of Ultimate X-Men had many of the remaining mutants starting off from scratch in a barren desert in the American Southwest.
    Last edited by jphamlore; 06-07-2014 at 10:49 PM.

That Captain Germany dude that was fighting alongside Blue Marvel in Mighty Avengers looked interesting, I wouldn't mind seeing something on him.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    "Marville" Volume 2: It's a reboot of the classic Bill Jemas series. Kal-AOL Turner is sent back in time to present day Marville, Kansas and learns to be a superhero.
    Hmmm . . . make Marville's satire more blatant and less subtle and it might just have potential.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Spectacular Member

As a kid I had created a comic universe in my head with a few titles (yes, it was very dull and boring where I grew up). Before the Marvel Limited Series of the same name, I had come up with a character called
    "Nth Man" and it turned out that he was similar to Dr. Manhattan. He worked from the Moon because too much exposure to normal humans could kill them. There was a normal version of himself on Earth (complicated origin involving time loops and alternate versions of himself). They were hunting down androids that used a similar way to become god-like powerful. So, the normal version would travel around the world with his girlfriend and locate the androids posing as angels, demons, etc. who were using gullible humans as cover. So, Nth Man didn't work from any major metropolitan area and the androids could be anywhere on Earth and not necessarily in a major city or in space.