BANNED

Default Is Superman manly or as manly as the sterotypical man?

I figure I ask this due to being on the rated m for manly tropes and I wanted to see if Superman qualifies since he's not on the list in the comic section, so do you think Clark Kent has a machismo that matches the typical faces of the term like Batman, Aquaman and Wild Cat.

I'd say he's more manly.

Characters mentioned above, especially Batman and Wildcat, have the kind of aggressive, in-your-face kind of machismo that just makes me think they're really, really insecure. Superman on the other hand, is confident enough in himself and his facilities that he doesnt have to showboat, growl, or brag. There's no gravely "Im SUPERMAN!" dialogue from him. He just does his job and doesnt give a damn what you think. And if you cross the line he'll put the hurt on you with the righteous anger of a man who does not tolerate evil on any level. That's macho. Everything else is just scared little boys pretending to be men.

Real men are secure enough in their manliness they dont have to show it off.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Depends on who's writing (or drawing, or acting) and how you mean "manly."

Wildcat knows macho is short for mach-ure. But, Superman's usually bigger on self-restraint.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Well Golden Age Superman beat up a wife beater for being a pos.

"Your not fighting a woman now!"

Take that for what it is worth.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

Is Superman Manly?

If you ask "Blue" from Superman #43 she would say; "Hell yeah"!!!!

Incredible Member

Don't forget: He's not a mere Man, he's SUPERMAN.
    Consider Clark Kent.
    In other words - Superman is so mainly he incarnates all archeotypes of noble masculity. The dweebish scholar and the warrior for good, the scientist and the defender, etc.

Incredible Member

He a role model for men.

Some would say he's SUPER manly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    I figure I ask this due to being on the rated m for manly tropes and I wanted to see if Superman qualifies since he's not on the list in the comic section, so do you think Clark Kent has a machismo that matches the typical faces of the term like Batman, Aquaman and Wild Cat.
    Alright, so I googled "M for Manly" and found this quote which seems to summarize manliness.

Mongol General: CONAN! What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women.
    — Conan the Barbarian (1982)

A work that is heavily dependent on things, situations, or actions that are stereotypically masculine, in order to appeal to a predominantly male audience. Made by men, for men.
    Overall I say Superman isn't manly by this definition.

He's not like Conan the Barbarian and he's got a more universal appeal than the male audience. For characters that fit into this criteria names like Wolverine, The Punisher, spartans from 300 or Duke Nukem come to mind.
    Last edited by Lax; 10-30-2015 at 08:54 AM.

Incredible Member

Characters like Wolverine, The Punisher, Spartans from 300 or Duke Nukem are just part of the all-spanning male hero archeotype.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Characters like Wolverine, The Punisher, Spartans from 300 or Duke Nukem are just part of the all-spanning male hero archeotype.
    Wouldnt superman qulify?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimishim12 View Post
    Wouldnt superman qulify?
    I said part.
    Superman is part of different aspects of the all-spanning male hero archetype.

This is a good example of it:
    http://www.fellowshipofreason.com/archives/4heroes.htm

Superman is closer to a mixed Classical-Romantic hero. Someone like Wolverine or The Punisher is closer to a modern hero.

And see my early post. Superman incorporates both types of man as Superman and Clark Kent.

There are all kinds of traits that make a person manly. But.....

Define manly: Is it macho or gentlemanly or strength? Or good at traditional manly things?
    Or is it a hairy chest and muscles?

Don't ask me.

My opinion on Superman is: quietly manly as all hell!

BANNED

Ascended summed up everything I was thinking. Thank you. He's also a real gentleman, humble too. I think that should play a part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd say he's more manly.

Characters mentioned above, especially Batman and Wildcat, have the kind of aggressive, in-your-face kind of machismo that just makes me think they're really, really insecure. Superman on the other hand, is confident enough in himself and his facilities that he doesnt have to showboat, growl, or brag. There's no gravely "Im SUPERMAN!" dialogue from him. He just does his job and doesnt give a damn what you think. And if you cross the line he'll put the hurt on you with the righteous anger of a man who does not tolerate evil on any level. That's macho. Everything else is just scared little boys pretending to be men.

Real men are secure enough in their manliness they dont have to show it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    Ascended summed up everything I was thinking. Thank you. He's also a real gentleman, humble too. I think that should play a part.
    Yup. Good thoughts all around.