Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailor Moon

Honestly this close to the air date I would rather just wait to watch the episode in full instead of bits and pieces of it. Especially since it is footage of a camera filming a screen, thus not something not officially released.

That said I do like the opening theme and cannot wait to see it in much better quality soon
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Just finished watching the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal and I love it. Of course being the origin story there is little there that is not usually there for it. But I like how they used Tuxedo Mask in this, it's not so jarring for him to be there at the store as we know from the start he is looking for something. Kinda surprised to see so little of the major villains so far, but there will be plenty of time for that and it probably helped that the episode could focus more on Usagi. The cell-shaded CGI is okay, not my favorite but not as jarring as it could be either. And it is a bit strange to see Umino with a nose.

The wait for the next episode in two weeks will be hard. Makes me glad to have the old series being released on streaming sites to help with that a bit.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Well, that was fun.

I loved it. It was nice seeing the side-characters we grew up with like Usagi's mom, Shingo, Naru, Umino, Motoki, etc. The tone seems to be a lot more serious than the original, too, which I can't decide if I like more than the original anime or not. Either way, I'm going to rewatch the episode until the next one comes out.

Astonishing Member

Im embarrassed to say I loved SM growing up. my favourite scene has gotta be all of them sacrificing their lives for Usagi. That was so touching.
    Naturally i was excited when i heard about the remake, I watched it and in a way I was disappointed that the outfits were normal and didnt get a update. I thought an update would've been so much better. But nevertheless, I loved everything else about it and heard that the fillers were gone, thats pretty awesome I think.

Extraordinary Member

I hope they can do the other senshi justice. My biggest complaint with the original is how the inners got shafted most of the time. It's one of the many reasons I prefer the live action version. The live action version also has the best mom of any show.

I really enjoyed the sailor moon Crystal pilot. I am looking forward to watching the rest of the new sailor moon anime.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Seems like a good amount of interesting views on the 1st Sailor Moon Crystal Episode.

I have now seen the Full Episode Finally as well, more then a few times as well indeed. I can now give my Honest View and Review of how it came across to me and did it live up the the Hype?

All I can Say is:

HOLY MOLY!! It Did!

The 1st 30 Seconds alone blew my mind, the Space, Galaxy and Moon Intro with the Princess and Prince was one of the most well executed Intros I have seen in a Show Ever, Very Serious about that Too! The creators Knew their audience and that intro came across as a treat for anyone that enjoyed the Original show, it might as well been called a Legacy opening. A Flood of Memories came back to me and of the Legacy Sailor Moon had Developed over the last 20 year, takes real talent to do that for to me indeed. The intro knew what it wanted to be and it was. The rest of the intro to Usagi's Classic Late Wake-Up that flowed into the Opening Song and I Clapped my hands and said DONE, They did it, they Won me over! ;-)

The rest of the episode was well executed, the homage to the original 1st episode was spot on, seeing classic characters Haruna, Naru, Umino and Usagi's Mom and Brother where great. It was nice to that they gave a more in-depth reason for Tuxedo Kamen to being at that Jewelry Shop. Jadeite's intro was well done and both the place he was at and the music in that scene where amazing.

The ending of the episode closed it out well with Tuxedo Kamen's Departure and the tease to Ami next episode.

Overall I really like the touches of Manga Artwork the Title Act Screen, intros to New Characters and Bumpers of Commercial Breaks and endings. The Ending Credits just were Glorious and gives both mystery and legacy to New and Old Fans.

Overall, This went Beyond My Hopes, I cannot say that Enough! Episode 1 did its job more then I had Hoped. The Music was Incredible, every use of it was Epic, I Love its Drama, Boldness and Cosmic Opera feel to it. The Art is some of the best I have seen, they put the best work into it!

Rating: 5 out of 5!

Perfect Episode, High Re-Watchable!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Astonishing Member

Didn't know this already started.

I think I'll wait for Korra to finish first, because my schedule is so tight.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I can't wait too! i liked SM since high school and i thought some of the chicks were hot like Mars who i think is the hottest chick on SM.
    Mars was definitely the hottest.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    I loved it. It was nice seeing the side-characters we grew up with like Usagi's mom, Shingo, Naru, Umino, Motoki, etc. The tone seems to be a lot more serious than the original, too, which I can't decide if I like more than the original anime or not. Either way, I'm going to rewatch the episode until the next one comes out.
    I noticed this at times as well Flatman, mainly when seeing the slap-stick and accident-prone parts moments, most of them of Usagi either falling down or freaking out or getting scratch by Luna(seriously, that happens allot in this episode!). You had more of a calm face Usagi then a anime freak-out or funny face, which was strange compared to both the original anime or even the anime, but it ok in my book cause the accident-prone parts still had their moments, especially Usagi's Sailor V Kick which hand fall face to it.

So Yea, the tone in ways does seem more serious, but also has a lighthearted and even glorious feeling more to it a well too. In the previews we still seem to have a funny moments too. ;-)

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    I noticed this at times as well Flatman, mainly when seeing the slap-stick and accident-prone parts moments, most of them of Usagi either falling down or freaking out or getting scratch by Luna(seriously, that happens allot in this episode!). You had more of a calm face Usagi then a anime freak-out or funny face, which was strange compared to both the original anime or even the anime, but it ok in my book cause the accident-prone parts still had their moments, especially Usagi's Sailor V Kick which hand fall face to it.

So Yea, the tone in ways does seem more serious, but also has a lighthearted and even glorious feeling more to it a well too. In the previews we still seem to have a funny moments too. ;-)

It's logical since the new anime will attempt to make a close adaptation to the original manga.
    The manga has many mature themes, the killings are more graphic, much more darkly atmosphere and there are some pretty daring scenes (we see Sailor Uranus kissing Usagi and in a particular scene depicts Usagi and Mamoru naked on the bed with sex heavily implied).
    There is comedy there but it is nothing if you compare it with the original anime series.

I preferred the original manga. I enjoyed that animation style. Here the characters limbs are more elongated and their builds are much slimmer, kind of caught me by surprise.

Outside of that feels like I'm sort of re-watching a story I already know so this isn't for me. Hope you Sailor Scouts who are tuning in and enjoy I know there is a lot of excitement over this
    The J-man

To be fair though basically all of the Sailor Moon adaptions start off sticking close to the manga. There is usually some tweaks here and there but things typically stay in place. It is not until they have to create new material to extend the stories that we really get to see something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Thennary Nak View Post
    To be fair though basically all of the Sailor Moon adaptions start off sticking close to the manga. There is usually some tweaks here and there but things typically stay in place. It is not until they have to create new material to extend the stories that we really get to see something different.
    Indeed Thennary Nak, I never really had a problem with the different adaptations making their own stories. I read some of the Manga stories and enjoyed what I read, the beginning or 1st story in the Jewelry store, each adaptation is usually faithful to the basic source materiel, but changes things to go with the themes of how the series will be. This was most true in the Original anime. The New Anime is the Manga Anime, by the theme of Crystal it is staying most true to the Manga source material, it could also be Called Sailor Moon Manga Anime if we want it to be. But to be honest Crystal still does not take all the things from the Manga 1st story, re-reading it it had more silly faces and Sailor Moon had Sailor V Glasses at the start, but these are small nit-picks in the end.

Any adaptation will do their own thing and that is good, it needs to set its own presentation and by what I know and heard, Crystal is not only paying homage to the Direct Manga, but also the Original Show as well, which is good cause Both where Important in Creating the Sailor Moon Fandom we know today.