Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailor Moon

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Just Saw Episode 2 of Crystal On Hulu, will not give my Full Review until others view it so I don't spoil anything, but indeed Crystal continues to impress!

Ami's Introduction was very well executed and a sweet story. Anyone that has not seen it yet, I highly recommend it.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

SM Crystal: So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Mars was definitely the hottest.

but Michiru was not left behind:

Waiting between new episodes of Sailor Moon Crystal is so hard. I really want to watch the next episode but that won't be until next month. Hopefully the animation will be a bit better as episode 2 was surprisingly poor with how off-model characters were, which is my only criticism for it.

It does look like they are keeping the pace for the manga right now, but at best they will get fourteen episodes out of that, so I wonder how they are going to fill the 10 or so episodes that they need to for the full run of the season.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Lightbulb

New Music Video For Sailor Moon Crystal just came out, Enjoy!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I thought I'd plop in this topic.

I really liked the last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal, I think it's the best Mercury episode across all medium yet! She has the awkwardness from the comic series but even more assertiveness as a Sailor Soldier than the 90's TV series (in the comic, the mist happened by accident).

I still feel Kotono Mitsuishi might be overdoing it a little, but I think she's trying to get us to feel Usagi's naivete before Usagi matures in later arcs. She seems to have refamiliarized herself with Usagi a little more in this episode, fortunately.

All in all, great episode; better than the first.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Berri View Post
    I thought I'd plop in this topic.

I really liked the last episode of Sailor Moon Crystal, I think it's the best Mercury episode across all medium yet! She has the awkwardness from the comic series but even more assertiveness as a Sailor Soldier than the 90's TV series (in the comic, the mist happened by accident).

I still feel Kotono Mitsuishi might be overdoing it a little, but I think she's trying to get us to feel Usagi's naivete before Usagi matures in later arcs. She seems to have refamiliarized herself with Usagi a little more in this episode, fortunately.

All in all, great episode; better than the first.
    You hit right on point with how Episode #2 came across for me as well too Blu Berri.

For me, the whole pacing of the Episode and Ami was very well done. You got a good sense of Ami, how alone she was and how sweet of person she was when she began to become friends with Usagi. I am Fan and nostalgic for the Original Anime, but I felt Ami was more well done here in Crystal and the development between her and Usagi as friends was far better, as well as Usagi too. The Dialogue was well pace and you got the sense of the new friendship, not just based on being Sailors, but getting to know each other based on who they each where. The arcade scene added to this as well and adding the pens as rewards was a touch a brilliance IMO, having a fun intro to the important Sailor Items.

Overall, by the end of the episode, it made you feel really good to see Ami make a New Friendship with Usagi and you felt both girls grew from the experience, nice character development indeed.

As for Kotono Mitsuishi, have not thought about comparing her voice work to the original. But a theory of mine toward what you said might be that Crystal cares more weight and nostalgia to it, their-by Kotono Mitsuishi is try to play the role right on point to where Usagi is at her present moment of character development with the weight in mind, aka as you said, more naivete Usagi.

Overall Another 5 out of 5 Episode for Me! While #1 gave me the weight of the whole nostalgia of The Sailor Moon Mythos, #2 gave me what made the series Grand; Great Character Interaction and Development!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

This is relevant to your interests.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post

This is relevant to your interests.
    Oh WOW, This was Something Incredible and honestly that is such an Understatement!

I have Never, Ever Seen any kind of Video of This Level Before of every-changing styles of animation before, Literally, this is one of a Kind Thing Video. All of those Styles of Animation, all back-to-back like that must have been a Massive Undertaking to put together and to get all of them in such clean order is Incredible. Really this has left me in Awe!

The Fact to that is was done for a Sailor Moon Episode really should be an Honor to the Show and Franchise as well when you think about it indeed!

Thanks for Sharing that Personamanx, indeed that was a Historic Video Right Their Indeed.

One last not, on the Animation Styles, One of them is BOB'S BURGERS Style of Animation Sailor Guardians; That is just Epic!
    Last edited by CJStriker; 07-21-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Exactly CJStriker, this episode really fleshed out her character. I really felt the additional scenes of Ami being alienated by her classmates made her crippling loneliness believable. In the 90's tv series, this portion if her characterization was emphasized but never really touched upon beyond her introductory episode and the flashback sequence in the R movie yet we are expected to believe it. This worked for Minako (and to a lesser extent, Makoto) because of how her character was presented as a figure of mystery, but not so much for Ami who was by Usagi side from the almost beginning.

As critical as I am toward 90's Mercury, she still miles above the live action Sailor Mercury who was given a laughably dark amd gritty reboot as Dark Mercury.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

I still haven't watched the second episode of SM Crystal yet. Tbh, I'm kinda nervous! This whole SM reboot worries me because both the anime and manga hold such a tender place in my heart. What I'm most worried about is how they plan to take the silliness of the anime and elevate it to the more intense and mature aspects of the manga... That's a hard task! The dichotomy is pretty extreme.

I am, however, really encouraged to see how well-received the second episode has been. You guys definitely make it sound like it won't disappoint. I'll be watching it soon.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lilmangoseed View Post
    I still haven't watched the second episode of SM Crystal yet. Tbh, I'm kinda nervous! This whole SM reboot worries me because both the anime and manga hold such a tender place in my heart. What I'm most worried about is how they plan to take the silliness of the anime and elevate it to the more intense and mature aspects of the manga... That's a hard task! The dichotomy is pretty extreme.

I am, however, really encouraged to see how well-received the second episode has been. You guys definitely make it sound like it won't disappoint. I'll be watching it soon.
    Indeed I can understand you worries Lilmangoseed (BTW, Nice to meet you and talk with you my friend ), been a long time since I read the Manga, read a few Issue and have not wanted yet to read it since I don't want to spoil much of Crystal. As for the Anime, indeed that is Very Important to me as well, how will Crystal both live up to it and/or do its own thing and carve its own legacy in the Sailor Moon Mythos. Really the way I go about it that helps is how we all should go about any new incarnation of Sailor Moon; it is its own Thing in the end!

The Manga, Anime, Musicals and Pretty Guardian all do their own thing, each taking what came before it, the roots mainly from the Manga, but then expanding on that in their own ways. Crystal is going the be the closest Interpretation of the Manga in Anime form that can be, but Still have changes to fit the flow of the show, the era we are in now and both it seems to be honoring what came before it adding in elements of the Anime and working to have its own timeless feel to it as well, Really in the end it a Legacy Sailor Moon Show IMO with it being mainly focused on the Manga story elements, not perfect, but very close!

In the End Lilmangoseed , take it for what it is and have FUN with it, enjoy the Elements that it does take from mainly the Manga and the elements it takes from the Anime. Really too, as another Internet Reviewer said recently, Just Having an New Sailor Moon Anime of This Quality is a Gift in and of itself and enjoy the Fact the we have it!

Also indeed, Episode 2 is a Joy to Watch, Ami is well done in this Episode and Usagi has great development as well. Have a nice time watching it when you do and let us know what you thought if you could when done.

Hope that helps you out Lilmangoseed .

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Berri View Post
    Exactly CJStriker, this episode really fleshed out her character. I really felt the additional scenes of Ami being alienated by her classmates made her crippling loneliness believable. In the 90's tv series, this portion if her characterization was emphasized but never really touched upon beyond her introductory episode and the flashback sequence in the R movie yet we are expected to believe it. This worked for Minako (and to a lesser extent, Makoto) because of how her character was presented as a figure of mystery, but not so much for Ami who was by Usagi side from the almost beginning.

As critical as I am toward 90's Mercury, she still miles above the live action Sailor Mercury who was given a laughably dark amd gritty reboot as Dark Mercury.
    Indeed Blu Berri, I remember finally seeing Episode 42 - "Sailor Venus' Past, Minako's Tragic Love", that gave us the revealing back-story to who Minako was and gave use her Sailor V life before the scouts. I fully expect them to do something similar to this in Crystal, maybe a-little more detailed and dramatic, which will be good.

I always applaud and am very nostalgic and supportive over the original anime indeed, even doing my best not to compare Crystal to the 90's Show. BUT, I still find it hard Not to do that allot of the time and see what are the differences. Really your point on how Ami was introduced in the 90's show was on point and the R Movie was a nice add-on for her character, but it was something the audience already had a implied knowledge about at that point indeed as you said. It was included along with the other Senshi's back-stories to add how important Usagi was to their lives, becoming friends and not being alone. In just the movie that was well executed, really brought up the dramatic theme of the movie, but as for adding to the show, it was already implied.

Also, as you said, the talk at the start of Episode #2 from the other Students was harsh and we know that Ami was hearing what they where saying about her and how that made her feel left out and even Alien to other students, that she did not belong and something was wrong with her. In the 90's show you did get that, but never felt she heard any negatives given to her, just implied she knew about them. This is what made Usagi starting to talk to her all the more sweet and kind hearted, Luna broke the ice, but it was a Usagi inviting Ami to be friends, not just cause the Dark Kingdom or being Sailors. It made Ami becoming a Sailor all that more Triumph IMO.

It is good to Talk to you again Blu Berri and indeed I bet you are looking forward to Minako joining the team soon indeed; So am I and Others are too! ;-)

Exclamation

ANIME NEWS: New 'Sailor Moon' Audience Hits 1 Million in just 2 Days!

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_ja...AJ201407300036

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    ANIME NEWS: New 'Sailor Moon' Audience Hits 1 Million in just 2 Days!

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_ja...AJ201407300036
    Watch for every "comics on TV" write ups in English to now ignore this achievement as hard as they can. Just as the relaunch of the comic in English blowing up sales a few years ago was virtually buried to praise X-Men or Batman trades that sold considerably less.

Still, the fans know. The world knows. And the disparity between non-comics outlets covering this and excited about it is an achievement on its own.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Sailor Moon has always been considered an oddity in how it just blew up in popularity. Even in Japan the anime was not expected to be the huge hit it was, and Naoko Takeuchi really did not plan to continue the series for as long as she did either. And in the West I do not think anyone expected it to be a hit in its own rights either. DiC did originally propose to massively alter the series to contain live action and their own animation but eventually went with just localizing the anime. And even then if you look at fans of the series you get a lot of people who are not into anime or some even not even other geeky medium yet love the series. For whatever reason it is a series that just hits home for a lot of people, especially girls.

Personally I think the fact that the series was aimed at girls was a big part of the success, as there were not a lot of series to choose from for those aimed at girls that gave girls like me characters that were as diverse personality-wise and felt like they had depth. Like the fact that you had a character like Makoto who was physically strong and considered boyish but loved "girly" things like cooking/baking and flowers. Or Minako who was idol-crazy but also good at sports and had an interesting back story of her pre-SM days fighting crime as Sailor V. And compared to the usual personalities in U.S. shows for girls who really only seem to have one area of interest that they rarely stray from Sailor Moon was like a breath of fresh air.

In more current Sailor Moon feels, I am really looking forward to this Saturday for the next SMC episode and the introduction of Sailor Mars. Of course even if they keep the pace of the manga we will not be getting Sailor Jupiter until September, as there is the chapter with the ball after Mars comes in first. But the older series will finally have Jupiter's introduction episode out on Monday on Hulu. So I will be happy enough with that until then.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics