Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailor Moon

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    As always I will not give a full review since episode #3 just came out, but indeed all I can say about this episode is in 2 words:

BAD-A$$!

Really, the way Rei was introduced and how well her intro was was just awesome, really had fun with episode #3 indeed!
    Agree.

Well YEA, you right Personamanx!

Indeed, the joke, with what we know about Usagi is that she acted upon the 1st idea that came to her head and for some reason Flight Attendant for a Bus?! Yeaaa, this is Classic Usagi that just makes you have to sit back and ROFL cause it really is all her in that joke! Even Luna was like "WHAT?! WHY?!" .

Really it points out Usagi's not so strategic mind hero at this point in the story, but indeed it fit her all to well and why she is a fun hero, LOL!
    Yeah, I think it was just a joke, at how silly and witout an actual combat plan. Usagi really is. Even luna was like: "really?? why?" and again during the fight scene, when Usagi was telling. "no I am not Usagi" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thennary Nak View Post
    Loved episode 3 as well. It is nice to see an anime version of Rei that really reflects how she is in the manga. She is probably the one of the characters changed the most in the original anime.

Also like the confirmation that Mamoru is only a 2nd year high school student, so around 16-17, with this episode. Him being aged up in the original anime series to a university student always baffled me, and made him seem a bit skeevy to be dating a Junior High student.

Find it interesting that they did not spoilers:
    have Jadiete killed off by Mars' attack in the episode as he was
    end of spoilers in the manga. I wonder how significant a change that will end up being for this series.
    Maruro in a Tuxedo on the street is just like Clark Kent without glasses on the street.

and didn't they say this version would be like the manga? why would they alter the end of the person in the above hidden comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Eh, the animation at it's worst from what I've seen is still leaps and bounds superior to the original anime. It does overall have a very stiff feel to it in most shots aside from transformations and the succeeding name calls that the original series never had much of an issue with but it's never really ruins anything for me. I dunno, My 2D animation is awful and that's generally what I use as a baseline for badness. Really though, they just need to animate the hair more. You could sell so much more movement if you just had some delayed hair movement and breakage.
    I dunno about that, especially compared to episodes with Ikuko Itoh as lead animator - her episodes are known for being very beautiful, colorful, fluid, detailed, and dynamic.

I think Crystal kinda cheats with animation since it uses 3D models at times, like in the transformation sequences.
    Balthier: I doubt we'll find her wanting in valor, being such an upstanding member of the insurgence.
    Ashe: Resistance.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Berri View Post
    I dunno about that, especially compared to episodes with Ikuko Itoh as lead animator - her episodes are known for being very beautiful, colorful, fluid, detailed, and dynamic.

I think Crystal kinda cheats with animation since it uses 3D models at times, like in the transformation sequences.
    Eh, I'll take your word for it but largely the animation of the original series left a lot to be desired. It had some bright spots but they were greatly overshadowed by some really heinous animation elsewhere. It worked best when it was conservatively animated if you ask me, just keeping itself simple and being animated within its means and using the right tricks at the right times when heavier action was needed.

Eh, not really. 3D animation isn't really cheating, it's still as much animation as pen and paper. I mean I'm not too fond of the 3D in the transformation sequences but I do see it as a stylistic decision rather than an "it's easier than hand drawn" choice, as if anything solid 3D animation is exponentially more complicated than hand drawn. As a 3D animator I wish that they had put more thought into things though.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will write more later. Just want to stop by and say that boyfriend and I watched the episode today. Best one yet! Sailor Mars' transformation was absolutely gorgeous and majestic.

-------------

....back. And now that I'm here, I have much to say, haha.

First, from awhile back...

Indeed I can understand you worries Lilmangoseed (BTW, Nice to meet you and talk with you my friend ), been a long time since I read the Manga, read a few Issue and have not wanted yet to read it since I don't want to spoil much of Crystal. As for the Anime, indeed that is Very Important to me as well, how will Crystal both live up to it and/or do its own thing and carve its own legacy in the Sailor Moon Mythos. Really the way I go about it that helps is how we all should go about any new incarnation of Sailor Moon; it is its own Thing in the end!

The Manga, Anime, Musicals and Pretty Guardian all do their own thing, each taking what came before it, the roots mainly from the Manga, but then expanding on that in their own ways. Crystal is going the be the closest Interpretation of the Manga in Anime form that can be, but Still have changes to fit the flow of the show, the era we are in now and both it seems to be honoring what came before it adding in elements of the Anime and working to have its own timeless feel to it as well, Really in the end it a Legacy Sailor Moon Show IMO with it being mainly focused on the Manga story elements, not perfect, but very close!

In the End Lilmangoseed , take it for what it is and have FUN with it, enjoy the Elements that it does take from mainly the Manga and the elements it takes from the Anime. Really too, as another Internet Reviewer said recently, Just Having an New Sailor Moon Anime of This Quality is a Gift in and of itself and enjoy the Fact the we have it!

Also indeed, Episode 2 is a Joy to Watch, Ami is well done in this Episode and Usagi has great development as well. Have a nice time watching it when you do and let us know what you thought if you could when done.

Hope that helps you out Lilmangoseed .
    CJStriker, thank you for such an incredibly kind greeting. I have quite a lot of forum experience, and I must say that you are a rare internet gem for being so encouraging and thoughtful in a first meeting post. You gave me a lot to think about, and quite frankly, I don't think I'll ever watch another episode of Crystal SM without briefly thinking of your warm welcome. It's a privilege to meet you, my friend!

[PS... I love that you bold and color forum members' names. It establishes a strong connection with the person you're speaking with, and with such a small modification, it really focuses attention to a strikingly dramatic effect. I'll be using that technique myself!]

As for episode 3... Many many thoughts ran through my mind in this episode.

One of the primary thoughts I had was the female-female relationships. I'm kind of tickled, to be honest. The manga, from what I recall [since I haven't read it in idk, a decade or so (ew, I feel so old)], was a lot more ambiguous about sexual preferences in all of their characters. The anime was not, especially the American version that made Zoisite a girl and Michiru/Haruka cousins. In this recent episode, they definitely brought the ambiguity back. They focused so heavily on Mars' beauty and the entrancing effect it had on Ami and Usagi. In particular, I think of Usagi's heart eyes lol. And my boyfriend noticed that, although Crunchyroll missed the translation slightly, Ami said, "My heart beats faster whenever I see her." I'm really thrilled to see that Crystal is more risque than the original anime, which is a huge ode to the liberal showcases of affection that were so frequent in the manga.

Also, in seeing the deep calm that Crystal's version of Rei has... I'm going to predict that Rei/Usagi will not have the same back and forth they share in the original anime. In the manga, Rei is a lot more subdued. Whereas in the anime, her fire is a huge foil for Usagi. They fight and bicker all the time. Because of that, Rei pushed Usagi to grow, forcing her beyond her silliness, beyond her pouty tantrums, and act more like the royal princess of the Moon Kingdom that she becomes.

However, in the manga, Rei is more in the background. In contrast, Mina steps up and is more of Usagi's extra push. IMO, Venus plays a bigger and more compelling role in the manga than she did in the anime. And I think that because Crystal is showing so much promise regarding its loyalty to the manga, I have a feeling that Venus will likely be as influential in Crystal as she was in the manga. It's something I'm both looking forward to (I love love Venus), but also something that saddens me a tad since Mars is my favorite scout, largely because of her relationship with Usagi in the original anime.

My third major point is Mamoru. I REALLY appreciate the early flirtation between Usagi and Mamoru. They don't hide it in Crystal. Right from the beginning, they hit you hard with a palpable chemistry between the two. In the original anime, I was kind of turned off by how their relationship started. It was completely out of the blue. They just got together because their memories came back, but before that, neither one was on the other's romantic radar. Usagi was overly interested in Motoki, while Mamoru just looked at her like an annoying little kid. In Crystal, Mamoru still teases Usagi, but he also looks at her with curiosity, wonder, and mystery. He's drawn to her in a way that the original anime never captured.

Also random little things to say...

1) Mars is freaking hot. And her transformation is unbelievable. It exudes strength, passion, and regality. IMO, it blows Usagi's and Ami's transformations out of the water.
    2) I'm trying to be less bothered by Mamoru's waifness. He's so skinny. I feel like I could poke him with a stick and he'd crumble.
    3) Their arms are so disproportionately long. I keep thinking about chimpanzees, or some other primate species with arms that make up 3/4 their body length.
    Last edited by lilmangoseed; 08-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lilmangoseed View Post

CJStriker, thank you for such an incredibly kind greeting. I have quite a lot of forum experience, and I must say that you are a rare internet gem for being so encouraging and thoughtful in a first meeting post. You gave me a lot to think about, and quite frankly, I don't think I'll ever watch another episode of Crystal SM without briefly thinking of your warm welcome. It's a privilege to meet you, my friend!

[PS... I love that you bold and color forum members' names. It establishes a strong connection with the person you're speaking with, and with such a small modification, it really focuses attention to a strikingly dramatic effect. I'll be using that technique myself!]
    Indeed it is nice to talk to you again lilmangoseed and glad to hear you enjoyed Sailor Moon Crystal Episode #3 so well my friend!

I have been indeed around these forums for a good time as well, before the shut-down of the old thread I started in August 2012, so indeed I know the feeling of having some experience with the boards and experiencing how others post to each other. When it comes to my posts and me, in the end the what you read is who I am. Pretty much you ask any other of my friends on CBR here, they say the same. I am glad you liked my 1st posted to you and that indeed that is a Very Nice Honor that it helped you out that much with SMC, indeed that Honors me allot, Thank You.

I like meeting knew posters and talking the talk about whatever subject it is about and indeed when a poster has a genuine concern over something it is nice to have a good supportive talk about it cause we all gain from it, both sides. Having concerns over how something will turn out, especially something you care about makes all the sense in the world, you want it to be well represented. So since Sailor Moon means so much to you, I and others, it is good to have a talk on a forum to figure things out we can't on our own, indeed we all learn in many ways we learn from each other.

So indeed it is a Privilege and an Honor to meet and talk with you as well Lilmangoseed ! :-)

As for the the bolding of the Names, glad you liked it. Indeed you got on point with what it means to me, it is about showing respect to the other poster that they have a unique name, personality and fandom towards what they are talking about. Their views care weight as much as anyone else, so indeed to show that respect in a name is to show respect to that posters posts and communicate and connect with them, as you well put it, you respect them and want to connect with them.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    Agree.

Yeah Darthjoker, I think it was just a joke, at how silly and witout an actual combat plan. Usagi really is. Even luna was like: "really?? why?" and again during the fight scene, when Usagi was telling. "no I am not Usagi" etc.
    Indeed, the fight with Jadeite was a good laugh, really too a clever way in stubbing on Usagi giving her identity away as...well........Usagi. But indeed I give her more of a break at that point since she was fighting and really how could anyone think straight will getting blasted with ice beams.

Quote Originally Posted by darthjoker View Post
    Maruro in a Tuxedo on the street is just like Clark Kent without glasses on the street.

and didn't they say this version would be like the manga? why would they alter the end of the person in the above hidden comment?
    I like the Clark Kent comparison Darthjoker, really no one goes to much out of their way to hide their looks while in Superhero Form, so really I forget why no one can not tell who is who, but either it is part of their powers to cause confusion or it is the Clark Kent syndrome which is and I am phrasing from a video I saw on youtube about Clark Kent and Superman:

"People only see what they want to see, so really no one can see Clark Kent the simple boy from Smallville as the Man of Steel Superman!"

So I always, besides powers, gave that idea to why others don't see the sailors as who they are, maybe many can't see the regular girls as the cities main heroes, it is all perception. But that is a theory mainly.

Finally, Going on Superhero mythos, so much of Sailor Moon's Mythos goes Hand-in-Hand with Superman's well when you think about it.

BANNED

Sailor Moon Crystal is excellent!!!
    But i do have one concern. The new series is way to short. Can these 26 announced episodes be able to animate all five arcs?
    I really hope that they plan to animate all five arcs because i really want to see the Outer Scouts and the Eternal forms of the Sailor Senshi!

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    But i do have one concern. The new series is way to short. Can these 26 announced episodes be able to animate all five arcs?
    I really hope that they plan to animate all five arcs because i really want to see the Outer Scouts and the Eternal forms of the Sailor Senshi!
    As of right now the series is only going to cover the first arc, so they need to figure out how to spread that one arc over those 26 episodes. I do hope the series does well enough that we get the other arcs covered. Especially Sailor Moon S, as that is one arc that had points that deviated quite a bit from the manga.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Lightbulb

Indeed Glad to hear you are enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal allot Minerboh and indeed nice to meet you!

By all I know about the way the episodes are coming out at this point Minerboh is that each episode equals to 1 Act in the Manga. So in all their where 52 Acts in the Manga, so really Sailor Moon Crystal should have 52 Episodes to it all together.

NOW, indeed you are right my friend, 26 episodes will only get exactly 50% threw the whole Manga Story. Now unless Crystal plans to do something different, each episode will be 1 Act from the Manga, so to get to episode 26 will be on and around July of 2015 and if they do do all 52 episode unending, it will go until 2016 mid way if they do not stop.

If you are still worried about if they will do all 52 Acts Minerboh, here is a recent article I found to might give you and other Fans Hope Indeed! ;-)

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/article...ee-details.htm

Aside from the new "Sailor Moon Crystal" merchandise, it's looking more and more likely that Tomei Animation will adapt the rest of the "Sailor Moon" manga. The Ashai Shimbun writes that the pilot episode of the reboot had one million views in just two days.

The popularity of "Sailor Moon Crystal" and the amount of hits the series received in such a short period of time means that Tomei Animation will consider it to be a success and may even start work on how to adapt the rest of Naoko Takeuchi's manga as well.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

BANNED

Indeed Glad to hear you are enjoying Sailor Moon Crystal allot Minerboh and indeed nice to meet you!

By all I know about the way the episodes are coming out at this point Minerboh is that each episode equals to 1 Act in the Manga. So in all their where 52 Acts in the Manga, so really Sailor Moon Crystal should have 52 Episodes to it all together.

NOW, indeed you are right my friend, 26 episodes will only get exactly 50% threw the whole Manga Story. Now unless Crystal plans to do something different, each episode will be 1 Act from the Manga, so to get to episode 26 will be on and around July of 2015 and if they do do all 52 episode unending, it will go until 2016 mid way if they do not stop.

If you are still worried about if they will do all 52 Acts Minerboh, here is a recent article I found to might give you and other Fans Hope Indeed! ;-)

Thank you for your reply!
    I am a huge Sailor Moon fan!
    I watched the original anime when i was 15 years old (now i am 35).
    Not only i enjoyed SM but it made me create my very own pseudo-manga, my Alien Scarlet Fighter Sing Hikios. You can get a glimpse of it from my avatar whuch depicts my Sing Hikios. Up until now i have wrote 400 issues!

God, i do hope Toei reconsiders and decides to adapt the rest of the manga. It's absolutely magnificent!

Lightbulb

Thank you for your reply!
    I am a huge Sailor Moon fan!
    I watched the original anime when i was 15 years old (now i am 35).
    Not only i enjoyed SM but it made me create my very own pseudo-manga, my Alien Scarlet Fighter Sing Hikios. You can get a glimpse of it from my avatar whuch depicts my Sing Hikios. Up until now i have wrote 400 issues!

God, i do hope Toei reconsiders and decides to adapt the rest of the manga. It's absolutely magnificent!
    No Problem, glad help and to meet other fans of Sailor Moon indeed Minerboh. :-)

Also, that is impressive to hear Sailor Moon gave you such inspiration that you created your own Manga and drew it, indeed impressive my friend, thanks for sharing that and that the image of your Avatar is of it!
    I would beat that Toei with a big push from Viz Media will adapt the Rest of the Manga to be made into Crystal, I think they just set it up to do 26 as a trial to see how it would do to be safe. But now since it is doing incredibly well(really, even I am amazing by the response to it) that it is very likely to do All 52 Acts indeed!

Really, Sailor Moon Crystal is an example of now only when you put love and work into a project you get positive results, but when you have had a franchise that was good from the start that fans will show that loyalty to it and give that respect back when it is earned, liked Crystal has earned indeed!

I need to watch the original anime again now that it's on Hulu. As a kid I watched some of the episodes sparingly when the franchise came stateside. They were doctored for US audiences because perceptions of anime at the time (although I didn't know this). Then when the series when to Cartoon Network and was "uncut" in the early 2000's I saw some more. It never held my interest though. Probably because I saw the series off and on. I did like the original animation though. My wife is watching Crystal now and likes it. Personally I don't like the overall animation design of the characters. Looks nice though. Apparently it is more true to the manga as I'm sure you all know. I think I still want to see the original first.

By the way, these girls are supposed to be 14 right? Funny to me since they all appear to have fashion model height, look like fashion models, and even in animation look a lot older. Weird.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilmangoseed View Post
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will write more later. Just want to stop by and say that boyfriend and I watched the episode today. Best one yet! Sailor Mars' transformation was absolutely gorgeous and majestic.

-------------

....back. And now that I'm here, I have much to say, haha.

As for episode 3... Many many thoughts ran through my mind in this episode.

One of the primary thoughts I had was the female-female relationships. I'm kind of tickled, to be honest. The manga, from what I recall [since I haven't read it in idk, a decade or so (ew, I feel so old)], was a lot more ambiguous about sexual preferences in all of their characters. The anime was not, especially the American version that made Zoisite a girl and Michiru/Haruka cousins. In this recent episode, they definitely brought the ambiguity back. They focused so heavily on Mars' beauty and the entrancing effect it had on Ami and Usagi. In particular, I think of Usagi's heart eyes lol. And my boyfriend noticed that, although Crunchyroll missed the translation slightly, Ami said, "My heart beats faster whenever I see her." I'm really thrilled to see that Crystal is more risque than the original anime, which is a huge ode to the liberal showcases of affection that were so frequent in the manga.

Also, in seeing the deep calm that Crystal's version of Rei has... I'm going to predict that Rei/Usagi will not have the same back and forth they share in the original anime. In the manga, Rei is a lot more subdued. Whereas in the anime, her fire is a huge foil for Usagi. They fight and bicker all the time. Because of that, Rei pushed Usagi to grow, forcing her beyond her silliness, beyond her pouty tantrums, and act more like the royal princess of the Moon Kingdom that she becomes.

However, in the manga, Rei is more in the background. In contrast, Mina steps up and is more of Usagi's extra push. IMO, Venus plays a bigger and more compelling role in the manga than she did in the anime. And I think that because Crystal is showing so much promise regarding its loyalty to the manga, I have a feeling that Venus will likely be as influential in Crystal as she was in the manga. It's something I'm both looking forward to (I love love Venus), but also something that saddens me a tad since Mars is my favorite scout, largely because of her relationship with Usagi in the original anime.

My third major point is Mamoru. I REALLY appreciate the early flirtation between Usagi and Mamoru. They don't hide it in Crystal. Right from the beginning, they hit you hard with a palpable chemistry between the two. In the original anime, I was kind of turned off by how their relationship started. It was completely out of the blue. They just got together because their memories came back, but before that, neither one was on the other's romantic radar. Usagi was overly interested in Motoki, while Mamoru just looked at her like an annoying little kid. In Crystal, Mamoru still teases Usagi, but he also looks at her with curiosity, wonder, and mystery. He's drawn to her in a way that the original anime never captured.

Also random little things to say...

1) Mars is freaking hot. And her transformation is unbelievable. It exudes strength, passion, and regality. IMO, it blows Usagi's and Ami's transformations out of the water.
    2) I'm trying to be less bothered by Mamoru's waifness. He's so skinny. I feel like I could poke him with a stick and he'd crumble.
    3) Their arms are so disproportionately long. I keep thinking about chimpanzees, or some other primate species with arms that make up 3/4 their body length.

No kidding, i had a crush on Mars since i saw the original show on syndicate Tv as a young teen and i also like jupiter, Mercury, Pluto, Wicked/Black Lady and Bertheier, what hotties this show has for me and animated dreamgirls.

Astonishing Member

When is Sailor Jupiter and Venus coming onboard?

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    When is Sailor Jupiter and Venus coming onboard?
    If you're talking about Crystal the series has been keeping the same pace as the manga so Jupiter should come in with episode 5, but we will probably get a tease at the end of episode 4 like we got in the episodes before Mercury and Mars were introduced. Venus doesn't come in until the very end of chapter 7 in the manga, so I will assume she will show up at the end of episode 7 of SMC.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics