Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Perhaps but its not quantity but quality that counts. 14 or 1400 it makes no difference.
    True about quality. However, the point here is that with so many titles to choose from and from so many different creators there is a better chance that you can find something you will enjoy as an individual fan. Some posters on here has said that they dislike slotts style and stories, well now you have options with different characters and even Peter Parker taking place at different points in his life. So 14 or 1400 by the same creater would not make a difference if you dont like that creators style, but 1400 different titles with 1400 writers would likely mean that there would be something you could enjoy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Okay fair enough. But the numbers of titles is relevant because as showned rarely has that many titles connected with Spidey been published at the same time. The only example given to counter that was yours where most were one shorts or titles only ever meant to be a couple of issues.
    The only way to play the numbers game, on equal grounds, would be to wait a year and count how many Spider-comics have been published, then see what comes closest in the past. I'm all up for that. In the meantime, arguing that ongoing titles will translate into more comics, on the long run, is speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    And I still dont understand your aparent disregard of variety here being a factor. I dont understand why the only ting that matters to you are powers and not the characters behind those powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    It's not just the power set. Carnage, Venom or the GG had/have different powers, but they sold/sell under the same imprint.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    It's not the same thing, at all. Clearly, apart from the flagship titles, each book has a M.O. to cover subsections within the Spider-Man fandom.
    If they aren't the same thing, why are they advertised as part of the Spider-Man universe? Because they want to improve their marketability, and saying they have something to do with Spider-Man, is a prop, even if they're "different".
    While I'm sure they have the ability to reach beyond them, I wouldn't generalize they're all homogenized or interchangeable because Spider-Man.
    Never said anything of the like.
    And would it be that 'society has changed', or that publishers realized that there's more to their readerships than straight white males of a certain age?
    It would obviously mean both things, I knew I didn't need to explain it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    So, basically, the sky isn't really blue.

Is there a point to your post, that you could elaborate?

BANNED

The only way to play the numbers game, on equal grounds, would be to wait a year and count how many Spider-comics have been published, then see what comes closest in the past. I'm all up for that. In the meantime, arguing that ongoing titles will translate into more comics, on the long run, is speculation.
    Considering how many of those you used as an example were one-shorts or two issues the current crop is going to have more issues no matter what then that in one year unless these ongoings are cancelled after one issue. So no not really speculation. And thats not even taking in to considerations any one-shorts etc that might come along to.
    Last edited by Bor; 10-19-2015 at 08:53 AM.

BANNED

Perhaps but its not quantity but quality that counts. 14 or 1400 it makes no difference.
    That's a valid argument, but I wasn't even tackling that. I'm instead focusing on a more basic one, whether the 2016 SPIDER-TITLES are an absolute record, in pure numbers.

That is a different discussion.

Though I think most would agree that the current crop beats the Scarlet Spider one-shots in terms of quality.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Buying:
    Amazing Spider-Man
    ASM .1
    Spider-Man/Deadpool
    Trying/Maybe continuing:
    Spidey
    Silk
    No:
    Spider-Woman
    Carnage
    Venom Space-Knight
    No, why does this exist:
    Spider-Gwen
    Web Warriors
    Spider-Man

Still not huge on the whole spider-family idea but always interested in Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099. and Silk has been interesting so far.

BANNED

I want the bar to be raised, if (as a spokesperson for the industry) you consider that to be wrong for "fandom", you'll understand if I remain skeptical.

What makes me feel embarrassed, doesn't necessarily have to apply to others, I'm not implying what you infer. Whether your intention is plain manipulative, in doing so, or just an honest mistake, only you know.

Even though, around here, it's considered rude to say that something is bad (although there's no problem stating the opposite), the fact is that when you claim a comic to be good, you're doing so in reference to other (unnamed) comics, which aren't. That's the hypocrisy of our politically correct times.
    Saying "I would be embarassed to read it"..you don`t find this a bit manipulative as well?

Why play semantics at all, in this case? Either you like it and it`s for you or you don`t.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Saying "I would be embarassed to read it"..you don`t find this a bit manipulative as well?

Why play semantics at all, in this case? Either you like it and it`s for you or you don`t.
    I'm neither trying to manipulate anybody, nor playing with semantics. There's a clear distinction, between what I like and what I recognize as good.

Only one thing missing - a book for fans of married Peter Parker.

Web Warriors, Spider-Man, and Spider-Gwen for me. Man, the Spider-Gwen team knocked it right out of the park on the #1 ish.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    No, why does this exist:
    Spider-Gwen
    Web Warriors
    Spider-Man
    Because Miles is popular, and fans want to continue to read his story, let's not be obtuse b/c you have a personal vendetta.

Astonishing Member

Cool to see so many Spidey titles indeed.
    I will collect:

Amazing Spider-Man.
    Carnage.

And i am considerating (depending of what i think of the first issues) collecting.

.SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL.

. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN .1

.SPIDER-MAN 2099

If they aren't the same thing, why are they advertised as part of the Spider-Man universe? Because they want to improve their marketability, and saying they have something to do with Spider-Man, is a prop, even if they're "different".
    Never said anything of the like.
    Your argument is that they're the "same thing" while putting the word 'different' in quotations, not to mention you made a point about how gender and race are interchangeable under the Spider family banner, so how are you not saying that?
    Rather than look at it as an absolute of is a Spider-Man title, therefore is the "same", look at it from the viewpoint that the current and potential future fanbase is made up of varied sexes/ages/ethnicities. So that while the Spider-Man brand is an encompassing umbrella and more often than not a powerful brand, a Miles Morales book can give a young African-American kid a hero he loves rather than generally likes in Peter Parker. Same for Spider-Gwen for a younger female reader, Spidey for much younger readers, so on and so forth.
    Your argument about how clones didn't work in the 90's misses that point: having multiple titles starring straight white male characters all focused on the exact same section of readership isn't an exercise in diversifying.
    In contrast, if the upcoming slate of Spider books were to be represented by a Venn diagram, the part "is a Spider-Man family book" and "tell a good superhero story" would be a clear overlap they all share, but at the same time each would also be occupying their own territory of white space as they have different aims at the same time; ergo not the same thing.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Your argument is that they're the "same thing" while putting the word 'different' in quotations, not to mention you made a point about how gender and race are interchangeable under the Spider family banner, so how are you not saying that?
    Rather than look at it as an absolute of is a Spider-Man title, therefore is the "same", look at it from the viewpoint that the current and potential future fanbase is made up of varied sexes/ages/ethnicities. So that while the Spider-Man brand is an encompassing umbrella and more often than not a powerful brand, a Miles Morales book can give a young African-American kid a hero he loves rather than generally likes in Peter Parker. Same for Spider-Gwen for a younger female reader, Spidey for much younger readers, so on and so forth.
    Your argument about how clones didn't work in the 90's misses that point: having multiple titles starring straight white male characters all focused on the exact same section of readership isn't an exercise in diversifying.
    In contrast, if the upcoming slate of Spider books were to be represented by a Venn diagram, the part "is a Spider-Man family book" and "tell a good superhero story" would be a clear overlap they all share, but at the same time each would also be occupying their own territory of white space as they have different aims at the same time; ergo not the same thing.
    If you open a box of assorted doughnuts, you'll find "different" types of sweets, but if you want one that's really different, you'll try a cookie (or a cake, or a pie). Bringing a character under the Spider-family umbrella, is like putting it in a Dunkin' Donuts bag; you sell it because of the brand, no matter how different they may taste. I'm placing the focus on sales, because this thread is about marketing, so any effort trying to show me the differences among the characters (story wise) is wasted, because that's just not what I'm talking about.