BANNED

Default Would You Recommend me To Open A Kickstarter So I Can Publish My Science Fiction Novel?

I just finished the first act of an established Science Fiction Novel Trilogy.
    It is my life dream to see it published and known to the rest of the world but i also found the titanic difficulties for such a task, even getting it published in Greece!
    Capital Controls, intense personal issues and Science Fiction is disregarded in Greece.
    So i thought of Kickstarter but i do not know how is it working or if it is safe.
    What do you say? Should i give it a try?

Sidekicks(Writer/Creator) Russell Brettholtz's Avatar

YES!

Kickstarter is a game changer for self-publishers.

I ran two successful KS campaigns to fund my 4-issue comic book mini-series. The first campaign put it on the radar of an indie publisher. We debuted the trade paperback at New York Comic Con and sold out.

It is better to try and fail than not to try.

Good luck.
    Russell Brettholtz
    Side-Kicked (Writer & Co-Creator)

"Like" Side-Kicked on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sidekickedcomics

Follow Side-Kicked on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SidekickedComix

BANNED

Thanks for the reply and your good wishes!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Brettholtz View Post
    YES!

Kickstarter is a game changer for self-publishers.

It is better to try and fail than not to try.

Good luck.
    How hard was it to go from idea to working story to final draft, to the actual book published, and were you satisfied with the result? Would you do it again?
    (I'm attempting to do the very thing you did at the moment, although I'm at the research stage because I'm paranoid about being 'original' and not having someone read it and say, 'well, that's just so and so, just a little tweak.'

All-New Member

Definitely put together a Kickstarter campaign for your book. Like Russell said, it can only do you good. Also, since you have a novel trilogy, why not publish it to Smashwords. It'd be an eBook, but you can always have copies printed (POD) when you need them.

Cartoonist

I would consider indiegogo as well, gather up all the crowdfunding sites and come up with a list of pros and cons for each one. The rules of a particular crowdfunding site may suit you more than others. It is also good to build a following or community or list of social networking "friends" before starting the initial campaign. You can run a successful Kickstarter without it, but if the project doesn't capture the hearts and minds of a vast majority of people it could go nowhere. Basically it is good to get tons of legwork and promotion done before starting a campaign. From my own personal experience, I create comics for people like myself, (throwbacks to art and style from the Golden, Silver and Bronze age of comics), and that doesn't always capture the modern comic reader/content consumer. I decided to sidestep the crowdfunding and found a publisher willing to publish my books and help with the legwork of promotion and distribution of my project. If you can't find a publisher in Greece you may be able to find one in the UK or US. I hope this helps. Good luck to you and don't ever get discouraged.