Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is why I dislike New 52 JL Diana she is evil and violent. Also shouldn't that sword cut Superman's fingers since that was her magic sword and if it can cut atoms Why are they making her seem always on edge and bitchy when she was compassionate and understanding for the most part.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is why I dislike New 52 JL Diana she is evil and violent. Also shouldn't that sword cut Superman's fingers since that was her magic sword and if it can cut atoms Why are they making her seem always on edge and bitchy when she was compassionate and understanding for the most part.
    She still is "compassionate and understanding, for the most part." See her underserved gift to Hades in 10, her mercy to Hera, her refusal to kill the First Born, her refusal to even fight Sirracca even though she's being pelted with blades, her encouraging words to Orion and Milan, her statement in SM/WW about wanting to end war or make it more of a last resort, and so on.

What makes her evil? That she dismembers and later kills a reanimated dead horse that has been warped into a deadly centaur and is attacking her friend? That she makes the sacrifice of becoming god of war in order to stop the killing? I don't think so. Sure, she can tilt a little towards the "fierce warrior" end of the hero spectrum, but when she

Single-minded, though? Sure. I think MissLane makes a good point about this somewhat dangerous trait rounding out her character nicely. I also agree with Gael, though, that having her forget Clark's apartment seems like a weak example on Soule's part; it seems less single-minded that ditzy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    She still is "compassionate and understanding, for the most part." See her underserved gift to Hades in 10, her mercy to Hera, her refusal to kill the First Born, her refusal to even fight Sirracca even though she's being pelted with blades, her encouraging words to Orion and Milan, her statement in SM/WW about wanting to end war or make it more of a last resort, and so on.

What makes her evil? That she dismembers and later kills a reanimated dead horse that has been warped into a deadly centaur and is attacking her friend? That she makes the sacrifice of becoming god of war in order to stop the killing? I don't think so. Sure, she can tilt a little towards the "fierce warrior" end of the hero spectrum, but when she

Single-minded, though? Sure. I think MissLane makes a good point about this somewhat dangerous trait rounding out her character nicely. I also agree with Gael, though, that having her forget Clark's apartment seems like a weak example on Soule's part; it seems less single-minded that ditzy to me.

If u look closely I stated I hate Justice League version. I stated she was compassionate in other things. Also the whole thing with War was still a poo accuse. We know she could have done something else. Like her lasso

Justice League Diana may be poorly written by Johns, but its a stretch to say he writes her as evil. She's not at all evil. He just writes her as a one-dimensional moody and overly aggressive fighter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Mmmmmm.

For me, I dont see this as singleminded as much as obsessiveness. But that due to her other portrayals outside her own book.

If you look at the pattern of incidents in the Justice League storylines with Graves, the Trinity War, and then post Forever Evil, we see a woman who is shown to be on the edge of excessive violence on numerous occasions as she tries to rectify problems.

Basically, every time things start to go badly for someone Diana cares about, she veers into dangerously violent territory.

Now the JL where she cuts on Green Lantern could be seen as once off with her love interest Steve Trevor in mortal danger. Though still pretty extreme, considering her actions put civilians in dangers [says Batman]

But then Superman gets into the same jam and she basically throttles Hephaeustus for information, even though he's about the only God on Olympus who has never given her cause to attack him and is a pretty decent sort of guy.

Then most recently she threatens Luthor with decapitation, and has Barry Allen scolding her about how criminals deserve justice, not a sword to the throat. And even goes so far as to imply her standards in this regard are at best antiquated [or at worst barbaric].

Now its its not like we haven's seen Diana get angry before. Gail Simone had her really tear into the Society when Etta Candy was kidnapped and tortured by Genocide. Diana even, lacking the lasso, resorted to roughing up Cheetah. This never sat well with me, by the way, and I said so to Gail on the forums.

But the difference is at least in those cases we had access to Diana's inner voice, explaining her feelings to us. In the three examples I just listed all we have are an outsiders view of a woman with her emotions barely under control, if at all.

And you have to ask yourself, is this character as written really who you want around. Because lets face it, superheroes have to face these sort of threats a LOT. And the way she is written OUTSIDE of her own book, it looks like Wonder Woman's volatile temperament is ill suited to heroing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Justice League Diana may be poorly written by Johns, but its a stretch to say he writes her as evil. She's not at all evil. He just writes her as a one-dimensional moody and overly aggressive fighter.
    That's the short version, yes. LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    If u look closely I stated I hate Justice League version. I stated she was compassionate in other things.
    I thought you meant the character was compassionate before the New 52 and not after. But yes, I see that you said "New 52 JL Diana." I agree with Sacred Knight, thought, that even the JL Diana isn't evil, whatever else she may be.

Also the whole thing with War was still a poo accuse. We know she could have done something else. Like her lasso
    What should she have done with the lasso? Surely the FB could have snapped War's neck before Wonder Woman could have pulled him away, even if she could have pulled him out of the FB's grip without killing her in her weakened condition.. Anyway, even if you believe that there's something else Diana could have done, clearly we were meant to believe that this was her only option--so at the worst, Azz and Chiang failed to show clearly why it was her only option, but they didn't portray Diana as killing her mentor for no good reason. To me, after reading her tearful goodbye to War, it's impossible to believe tht she wouldn't have killed him if she wasn't sure she had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    I thought you meant the character was compassionate before the New 52 and not after. But yes, I see that you said "New 52 JL Diana." I agree with Sacred Knight, thought, that even the JL Diana isn't evil, whatever else she may be.

What should she have done with the lasso? Surely the FB could have snapped War's neck before Wonder Woman could have pulled him away, even if she could have pulled him out of the FB's grip without killing her in her weakened condition.. Anyway, even if you believe that there's something else Diana could have done, clearly we were meant to believe that this was her only option--so at the worst, Azz and Chiang failed to show clearly why it was her only option, but they didn't portray Diana as killing her mentor for no good reason. To me, after reading her tearful goodbye to War, it's impossible to believe tht she wouldn't have killed him if she wasn't sure she had to.
    Good point. However didn't it stated in a interview that War might have tricked her? I kinda of like that idea.