Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    From the beginning of the relaunch, I wanted a situation where Lois knew the secret, and was in on it to such an extent where she used her prowess as a reporter to help Clark keep the secret, and juxtapose those efforts with her desire to tell truthful news. Its one of the few Lois and Clark dynamics not yet done in a longterm situation in the comics, and I think it'd be very interesting to see keeping the secret and aiding in its keeping weighing on her in regards to her morals as a reporter.
    This would be a really interesting direction.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    It wouldn't end her status as a human; it would, however, end her status as ordinary human. Lois Lane is inspirational because she lives her life with only the gifts she was born with or attained through nurturing and study. A special power takes away her ability to demonstrate what an ordinary human being can achieve without extraordinary powers. Lois's role in the Superman mythology is to complement Superman by being completely bound by what it means to be just like the vast majority of the human race. The only way Lois Lane should be impressing people or changing the world is by demonstrating the difference a non-meta can make.
    I guess... I see the psi powers being both a problem and a help at the same time. Problem in that the, "there's so very few people like this" and there's a little bit of a distrust in this new version of the comics so she'd have to deal with hiding this abilities while still maintaining her everyday life. Help in that psi abilities kind of dovetail against her career choice.

I don't think I would find her less human with even a small amount left behind (as long as she is independent to make her choices her way and not beholden/connected to Brainiac in any form.)

It wouldn't end her status as a human; it would, however, end her status as ordinary human. Lois Lane is inspirational because she lives her life with only the gifts she was born with or attained through nurturing and study. A special power takes away her ability to demonstrate what an ordinary human being can achieve without extraordinary powers. Lois's role in the Superman mythology is to complement Superman by being completely bound by what it means to be just like the vast majority of the human race. The only way Lois Lane should be impressing people or changing the world is by demonstrating the difference a non-meta can make.
    Its comics. Lois Lane is no more indicative of what a human could reasonably expect to achieve than Batman… whose feats are routinely super human.

I'd argue whole heartedly that a lot more inspiration can be found in the real life stories of people like Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan.

Lois's main role is to have interesting comic stories told about her, and in that regard I feel there's mileage in showing her as having moderate permanent psionic powers… there's 70 years of showing her as a completely "ordinary" human. Time for a change, I feel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Its comics. Lois Lane is no more indicative of what a human could reasonably expect to achieve than Batman… whose feats are routinely super human.

I'd argue whole heartedly that a lot more inspiration can be found in the real life stories of people like Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan.

Lois's main role is to have interesting comic stories told about her, and in that regard I feel there's mileage in showing her as having moderate permanent psionic powers… there's 70 years of showing her as a completely "ordinary" human. Time for a change, I feel.
    I'm not sure, but if it was for a limited anount of time, I don't see big problems. It's better than her losing all her powers at once. Have a conseequence that she has to learn to control it, maybe not even usint the psionic power too much, could be very interesting if explored for 1 or 2 years.

Batman is awesome because he achieves what he achieves without superpowers. I'm fine with her getting more involved in things, and kicking ass, but not with superpowers. To me, that's a cheat, and I think Lois is plenty interesting without superpowers and because she doesn't have superpowers. But if you feel differently, that's cool. However, since this isn't reall the topic of this thread and we're unlikely to agree. How about we just agree to disagree?

BANNED

at the very least have her do something that doesn't devolve to damsel in distress, i'm still pitching a investigative reporter ala flashpoint role.

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    at the very least have her do something that doesn't devolve to damsel in distress, i'm still pitching a investigative reporter ala flashpoint role.
    Lois has never been exclusively a damsel-in-distress. She has always been an effective and enterprising investigative reporter who has been capable of handling herself on many occasions. Lois in the New 52, for example, has been no more of a damsel than Superman who has required frequent rescues.

BANNED

Batman is awesome because he achieves what he achieves without superpowers. I'm fine with her getting more involved in things, and kicking ass, but not with superpowers. To me, that's a cheat, and I think Lois is plenty interesting without superpowers and because she doesn't have superpowers. But if you feel differently, that's cool. However, since this isn't reall the topic of this thread and we're unlikely to agree. How about we just agree to disagree?
    Psionic powers would make her job too easy, it would be boring

BANNED

Lois has never been exclusively a damsel-in-distress. She has always been an effective and enterprising investigative reporter who has been capable of handling herself on many occasions. Lois in the New 52, for example, has been no more of a damsel than Superman who has required frequent rescues.
    keyword exclusively. also, when i say ala flashpoint i mean here taking up more dangerous reporting jobs to get the truth, which the dcu is in no shortage of.

if lois happens to retain some of braniacs abilities, even for a limited time, i'd be ok with it if only because it has potential for new plots
    Last edited by kidstandout; 06-11-2014 at 10:03 AM.

keyword exclusively. also, when i say ala flashpoint i mean here taking up more dangerous reporting jobs to get the truth, which the dcu is in no shortage of.
    Lois has been taking up dangerous reporting jobs like Flashpoint for 75 years. It's like you don't understand the character or her history at all.

if lois happens to retain some of braniacs abilities, even for a limited time, i'd be ok with it.
    I would absolutely not be okay with it. The storyline is already overplayed. Lois Lane is defined by who she is without the benefit of powers. Her role in the Superman mythology is to represent what ordinary human beings can achieve without special gifts. It would NOT be okay. It would yet another example of discarding detailed continuity to create a mutable cipher instead of a character.

Can I respectfully request that we move this thread back on topic? Superman expressed concern about Lois' situation in a scene with Wonder Woman in the new Superman/Wonder Woman #9. Any guesses what this will mean for Lois in terms of making progress toward her eventual release from Brainiac?

BANNED

Lois has been taking up dangerous reporting jobs like Flashpoint for 75 years. It's like you don't understand the character or her history at all.

I would absolutely not be okay with it. The storyline is already overplayed. Lois Lane is defined by who she is without the benefit of powers. Her role in the Superman mythology is to represent what ordinary human beings can achieve without special gifts. It would NOT be okay. It would yet another example of discarding detailed continuity to create a mutable cipher instead of a character.
    world crisis level reporting jobs involving being stuck in a battlefield without the aid of big boy blue and taking on dangerous foes like the amazons? show me an example

see my edit let me give you an example of a new plot that could be good.
    1 she retains some of braniacs abilities and is tempted to use them to make her life easier, but refuses to do so in fear of losing herself.
    2 her braniac abilities expire but cure her amnesia, allowing her to remember superman is clark
    3 she is free of his control, but is tied to him on a mental level, having access to braniacs memories via dreams. this gives her a view of kryptons last days and if there other kryptonians are still all around

all 3 ideas are a change of pace that doesn't alter her role but add onto it.

world crisis level reporting jobs involving being stuck in a battlefield without the aid of big boy blue and taking on dangerous foes like the amazons? show me an example
    Lois has been in warzones a few times. Here are two of them. If you want to create a thread about Lois having superpowers or whatever else you want to talk about, go ahead. This thread is about the Lois/Brainiac storyline.

see my edit let me give you an example of a new plot that could be good.
    1 she retains some of braniacs abilities and is tempted to use them to make her life easier, but refuses to do so in fear of losing herself.
    2 her braniac abilities expire but cure her amnesia, allowing her to remember superman is clark
    3 she is free of his control, but is tied to him on a mental level, having access to braniacs memories via dreams. this gives her a view of kryptons last days and if there other kryptonians are still all around

all 3 ideas are a change of pace that doesn't alter her role but add onto it.
    No. Lois Lane with superpowers is a hackneyed storyline now, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want any of the powers villains gave her to remain.
    Last edited by misslane; 06-11-2014 at 10:37 AM.

BANNED

If you want to create a thread about Lois having superpowers or whatever else you want to talk about, go ahead. This thread is about the Lois/Brainiac storyline.

No. Lois Lane with superpowers is a hackneyed storyline now, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want any of the powers villains gave her to remain.
    or you could pm a response to a genuine question but whatever

agree to disagree then

BANNED

Can I respectfully request that we move this thread back on topic? Superman expressed concern about Lois' situation in a scene with Wonder Woman in the new Superman/Wonder Woman #9. Any guesses what this will mean for Lois in terms of making progress toward her eventual release from Brainiac?
    smww #10 the cover tease a fight between Lois brainiac and WW, maybe it will get resolved. weird that is superman that says that lois is with problems