Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Manchester Black returns?!!

Who can ever forget AC#775?
    Looks like good old Blackie returns in New52 form in the pages of Titans:
    4038802-tt_cv4.jpg
    Can you see him?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'd have rather seen Jenny Sparks, the character he's a satire of, be introduced, but I'll take what I get. Is he being introduced as a potential Titan? Or villain?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Who can ever forget AC#775?
    Looks like good old Blackie returns in New52 form in the pages of Titans:
    4038802-tt_cv4.jpg
    Can you see him?
    Liked his comic and I loved the Superman VS The Elite animated movie. Great to see Chester here.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Ultimate Member

I didn't particularly like either (more for how they were framed story/message-wise), but Black himself was a pretty cool character. It's interesting that he's apparently being introduced in TT instead of Superman.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

He already returned actually, in the first issue. Briefly however. He was just in a panel or two. Not sure how I feel about him being reduced to a TT level threat, but I'm excited to see him back I guess. Supes keeps losing his villains to other characters/teams.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Ugh why is he in TEEN TITANS? Such a waste.

BANNED

If this means they're making him into an actual character instead of a strawman threat then sure.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Awesome possum. Manchester was a cool character in Superman vs Elite (not really a fan of Superman 775). As a telepath and anti-hero he could've used more definition a decade ago. Nice to see New 52 is doing something with him.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, perhaps getting him away from Superman (at least for awhile) is a good move. Maybe it'll keep writers from using him as a strawman to show how awesome THEIR characters/beliefs are and how much other ones sucks. Seriously, I will never understand that story's popularity.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I'd have rather seen Jenny Sparks, the character he's a satire of, be introduced, but I'll take what I get. Is he being introduced as a potential Titan? Or villain?
    Sparks is 20th century. Also best to distance the Authority/Stormwatch from their strawman counterparts.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I don't get the "strawman" thing for Manchester Black.

Black was created for one issue and one issue only. Kelly only used him again because he knew someone else was going to ruin his story and was determined to kill him off.

Not every character has to be created to last forever and some are best used for their purpose and left alone. I can't really see the point in this if he's not gunning for Supes.

Anyway, is the girl attacking Red Robin New 52 Vera then? I'm not reading TT at the moment, waiting a few issues to hear if it's any good.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This kind of reminds me how Post-Crisis, Parasite was reintroduced as a Starman villain (and maybe a firestorm villain as well if memory serves ) before he was returned to the Superman rogues gallery in the mid 90's. Hope Manchester follows suit eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I don't get the "strawman" thing for Manchester Black.
    He's supposed to be a representation of Authority style heroes, but doesn't share any of the morals that those heroes do and only exaggerates their flaws. He's a misrepresentation and exaggeration of what the Authority actually stands for, making him by all accounts a strawman.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it's basically a case of the writer personally believing that Superman's way of doing things was better/more moral than groups like the Authority. But instead of doing the intellectually/artistically honest thing, which is to present both sides fairly and let the reader make up their own minds as to who is right, he stacks the deck in Superman's favor by making the faux-Authority look as bad a possible (and misrepresenting them in the process). It's basically an entire issue of him going "see see, Superman IS better. I'm right and Warren Ellis is wrong, see see."

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, it's basically a case of the writer personally believing that Superman's way of doing things was better/more moral than groups like the Authority. But instead of doing the intellectually/artistically honest thing, which is to present both sides fairly and let the reader make up their own minds as to who is right, he stacks the deck in Superman's favor by making the faux-Authority look as bad a possible (and misrepresenting them in the process). It's basically an entire issue of him going "see see, Superman IS better. I'm right and Warren Ellis is wrong, see see."
    To be fair, wasn't the Authority also making fun of other cape comics before What's So Funny... came out and this story was just in response to that?