Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default How do you bring back Chris in a way that people care about him?

???

When Damian died there was widespread anger and scorn at Morrison for putting him away, when Chris got banished and faded away there was empty silence. What was about Chris that sort of failed to make him memorable and a lasting addition rather than a gimmick and how do you correct it?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

There was silence, in my opinion, because writers and creators blatantly ignored it after it happened. Superman's relationship with his adopted son was also put on pause during the entire World of New Krypton arc. It was a loss that took place alongside many other losses that it got overlooked. Chris didn't fail; the writers failed him. They stopped caring and helped to guarantee that readers lost interest, too.
    Last edited by misslane; 08-21-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Astonishing Member

You give Chris a life.

He was never really intended to get out "Last Son". The horrid delays in getting that story out led to his getting longer exposure in the Superman book while they waited for "Last Son" to finally get published, but since Johns had intended him to be a single arc character it all was just jogging in place. Chris wasn't "Superboy", that was Kon's place and he wasn't giving it up. Chris was left with no real role outside being Superman's temporary son. He was one of those here and gone characters that in the Silver-Age would pop-up for a single story then never be mentioned again (Johnny Kirk aka Superman Junior, Gregor from Action #400) except here that story stretched out over multiple issues.

Damien on the other hand had time to develop and to get people to care about him. Damien got to star with Dick Grayson. He actually stole Tim Drake's hero role (which forced Tim to move on to a new ID). Damien even got to meet his not-sister Helena Wayne before Batman did.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah I agree with the poster Jon Clark. Chris was more intended to be a short term thing like "hey remember when I adopted one my greatest foes son? Wild times right?". He can't be compared to Damien outside of them being the sons of Superman and Batman respectively. Damien was FAR more fleshed out and built for quite a long stay in the Batman world. Chris was a story more or less.

But Grant Morrison's Multiversity has made me take a second hard look at the not-Superboy son of Superman, and I'll say that I see some potential. I'd appreciate it if DC would handle it very gingerly in how they bring him in (at whatever point). Don't smack us in the face with the idea that he'll be a fixture in the world. Don't use him as a spring to launch whatever half backed romantic plans DC wants to take up Superman's time with. Not even a Lois thing.

It should be about Superman and Chris. I'd personally say start it off as almost a riff on all of those Superman jr covers of the Silver age. Give him a one shot/mini showing us what we've never dared dream would come up in continuity: the son of Superman just being the son of Superman. Charming "childlike" art. The world seen throw not just the fresh eyes of child but a super child with nothing but possibility and imagination at his fingertips.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking of Franklin Richards from the Fantastic Four and how perfect of a child character he has become/been under Hickman's pen more than any IMO.

Make the kid likable and genuine. Where Damien was tagged as "Batman's evil son" I'd tag Chris as the "Superman in training". Just a genuinely pleasant little boy who has got the best set up one could ask for and the best powers to top it all off. Maybe a modern resurrection of the old 50's Superboy stuff. Boyhood problems, fun, and ideas set on a folk tale scale.

I don't know, I'm rambling. I guess I'd just like a hard shot of fun and imagination (not that Pak isn't coming through on that when he's on) in the Superman world, and this kid would be a great way to do it I think. So to finish up whatever this is I'd just say have fun with him when you introduce him. Don't shy away from the tropes that come along with being the son of Superman. Tackle them in fun and imaginative ways (riffs of the Silver age etc).

Maybe a who's the baby's mama issue of gossip around the DCU from heroes, media, reporters, etc. The revelation that it's Zod's kid could be played less world end-y and more "are your sure this is a good idea big blue?".

Chris could be fun and enduring for sure. Just depends on how you do him. Also no accelerated aging lasting longer than a story or a time travel tale!
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-22-2014 at 03:38 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He can't be compared to Damien outside of them being the sons of Superman and Batman respectively. Damien was FAR more fleshed out and built for quite a long stay in the Batman world. Chris was a story more or less.
    Actually, that was always the intention to Damian. He was supposed to be dead at the end of Batman and Son, but Morrisson decided to bring him back due to the positive fan reaction.

Chris was always meant to be in New Krypton, but the delays to Last Son killed any momentum for the character.

It's simply that Morrisson is a much better writer than Johns so his throw away character had depth and legs way beyond it's original intention.

I'm fine for Chris to be left alone, tbh. I liked NK, but Superman doesn't need a kid.

That said, a Chris/Kon/Kara book could be fun. After everything he's been through, Kon could use a friend (probably Kara, too) and Chris would need a big brother/sister to emulate. It could finally be a reason to pull the Superman family together.
    Last edited by exile001; 08-22-2014 at 03:59 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Actually, that was always the intention to Damian. He was supposed to be dead at the end of Batman and Son, but Morrisson decided to bring him back due to the positive fan reaction.
    You know I did actually forget that. I remember that Morrison's intention was to have Damian die from the jump off. Good catch! I suppose I'll just say that Morrison is in fact a better writer and found more and more ways into the character that allowed for longer life before his predestined end.

Chris just never had the same catch the Damian did I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Chris just never had the same catch the Damian did I suppose.
    It's sad, but I honestly think the delays killed his momentum. I and a lot of others I spoke to were intrigued by the idea of Chris (and loved his issue with Damian by Busiek) but the longer it dragged, the less I cared.

BTW, love the avatar. Why is there no Venture Bros. comic.

Did everyone forget that he came back and starred as Nightwing in Action Comics for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Did everyone forget that he came back and starred as Nightwing in Action Comics for a while?
    It's been mentioned above, but mostly in passing. As Nightwing he was integral to the NK storyline.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    I remember, but it doesn't really seem to have made him anymore endearing to fans though. It was just seen as something he did at some point. I'm trying to find a way to make him into something the fanbase will actually enjoy and want to keep around rather than something the mythos just happened to get saddled with. I'm just wondering how to replicate the success of Damian onto Chris.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

I'd make him the biological son of Clark and Diana. With that kind of set-up he'd have to have longevity.

Who is Chris?

Real name was Lor-Zod, son of General Zod and Ursa and born in the Phantom Zone. Clark and Lois took him and began to raise him as their own son for a time where he took that name Chris Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    I'd make him the biological son of Clark and Diana. With that kind of set-up he'd have to have longevity.
    I'd think it would be less, let's say awkward, for Clark and Diana to have their own unique iconic offspring rather than borrowing the identity of Lois and Clark's adopted son from a previous continuity. It's too sloppy.