Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Opinions/Help Needed...

Yeah, yeah, I know, another one of those "help me choose threads". I'm pretty sure you're probably in eye-rolling mode right now, but please, stick around. First up, I feel compelled that I should provide some background info. See, when I was a wee lad, I was hardcore into DC. JL, Batman, Superman, those were the shows that I watched, the toys I bought and so on and so forth. But then they stopped, I couldn't find any comic shops around me, and so I turned to Marvel, which was widely available. So I stayed there for quite a long while, even having a pull list the last few years (comic shops opened close enough to my city), featuring exclusively Marvel titles. So, naturally, when ANAD was anounced, I took it as an opportunity to really reconstruct my list, a fresh start, if you will. And boy oh boy, did it dissapoint. Doctor Strange has been reduced to a womanizer with sneakers, Tony Stark is now apparently the "face of the company" (as if he wasn't getting enough editorial pushes already), Banner is nowhere to be seen and the Hulk will now be a happy-go-lucky book, Hank Pym is Ultron and the Avengers are 3/7 rookies. So, I thought long and hard about it, and I decided that it's high time I left. Secret Wars hasn't even ended yet, and they've announced the next event already. Their prices are going up and the content goes down. Not to mention the constant releaunches. Therefore, apart from 2 or 3 books featuring characters I greatly enjoy (Moon Knight, Black Panther & Darth Vader), me and Marvel are done.

Now, I've already done my research on comicbookroundup, comic vine, etc, etc, on a wide range of books, but I'd also love some more "human" responses. Before my pull-list became all Marvel I was pulling Batman, GL, Flash and a couple of others. So basically what I want, is for you to give me your reccomendations (what's your pull list, what are your favourite books, stuff like that) and also give me your opinion on these titles, since they've intrigued me:

1) Constantine
    2) Midnighter
    3) Martian Manhunter
    4) Flash
    5) Green Lantern
    6) Sinestro

I realize I'll have to play catch up, but that's alright, there are sites that are selling past issues for cover-price.

PS1: Any reccomendations on some older, Pre-Nu52 as well? I've starrted reading a bit of Green Arrow (V2), Green Lantern/Green Arrow, JLA, etc, etc, but I'd love to hear about some other, more obscure books.

PS2: Any idea what happened with that "Dark Universe" title? Wasn't it supposed to be a JL: Dark relaunch or something?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Have you read any Hellblazer? The current Constantine is Hellblazer-lite, but I enjoy it quite a bit. The art is absolutely wonderful, as is the entire layout of the book honestly. It's a much stronger riff on Hellblazer than the previous New 52 efforts. It's good comics.

Midnighter is quite solid. It reads well as a companion title to Grayson, my favorite book from, either DC or Marvel. I recommend both.

Martian Manhunter I haven't read but quite a few folks with opinions I usually trust immensely have been saying wonderful things about it. The character is a wash for me, but I plan on reading this book down the road. Looks wild and fun- I'd say pick it up.

The rest are all firm passes, for me. The current Flash book is pretty awful, Green Lantern is directionless, and Sinestro just seems dull. Hopefully we'll get fresh flavors on all of them soon.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-18-2015 at 07:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Have you read any Hellblazer? The current Constantine is Hellblazer-lite, but I enjoy it quite a bit. The art is absolutely wonderful, as is the entire layout of the book honestly. It's a much stronger riff on Hellblazer than the previous New 52 efforts. It's good comics.

Midnighter is quite solid. It reads well as a companion title to Grayson, my favorite book from, either DC or Marvel. I recommend both.

Martian Manhunter I haven't read but quite a few folks with opinions I usually trust immensely have been saying wonderful things about it. The character is a wash for me, but I plan on reading this book down the road. Looks wild and fun- I'd say pick it up.

The rest are all firm passes, for me. The current Flash book is pretty awful, Green Lantern is directionless, and Sinestro just seems dull. Hopefully we'll get fresh flavors on all of them soon.
    I've read quite a bit of Hellblazer. I think I stopped around 30 or so. I don't recall exactly though, I just read what was available to me. So yeah, I already like JonCon, that's why I was considering the new series.

Hmm, I've heard good things about Grayson as well, might give this one a try.

Personally I read the 1st issues and really liked it, I just wanted to see what the general consensus was like.

Any other books that you'd reccomend? Anything for your personal pull-list?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I've read quite a bit of Hellblazer. I think I stopped around 30 or so. I don't recall exactly though, I just read what was available to me. So yeah, I already like JonCon, that's why I was considering the new series.

Personally I read the 1st issues and really liked it, I just wanted to see what the general consensus was like.

I'm increasingly growing fond of Grayson, that includes those books that he guest-stars in. I've been reading the current Constantine, which I enjoy, but do not have any experience with the previous material before that, so I can't compare it.

The current run of Martian Manhunter is very good.

As much as I want to enjoy Flash, I don't think I am. Its regurgitating a bit too much Reverse-Flash, Barry's Dad story yet again for my taste. As well, as dynamic as the art can be at times, Flash seems in awkward body positions at times. On top of that every person is as ripped as the heroes, which is a nit-pick but big pet peeve of mine.

Green Lantern and Midnighter is meh for me at the moment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bholderman View Post
    I'm increasingly growing fond of Grayson, that includes those books that he guest-stars in. I've been reading the current Constantine, which I enjoy, but do not have any experience with the previous material before that, so I can't compare it.

The current run of Martian Manhunter is very good.

As much as I want to enjoy Flash, I don't think I am. Its regurgitating a bit too much Reverse-Flash, Barry's Dad story yet again for my taste. As well, as dynamic as the art can be at times, Flash seems in awkward body positions at times. On top of that every person is as ripped as the heroes, which is a nit-pick but big pet peeve of mine.

Green Lantern and Midnighter is meh for me at the moment.
    So Flash is now basically the TV storyline but in comic book form? Man, that's exactly the things that made me leave Marvel. Damn synergy.

GL's that bad, eh? I actually read a bit of the new CT (after Geoff left) and it really didn't "wow" me. I guess I thought that it would've turned better.

Spectacular Member

So Flash is now basically the TV storyline but in comic book form? Man, that's exactly the things that made me leave Marvel. Damn synergy.

GL's that bad, eh? I actually read a bit of the new CT (after Geoff left) and it really didn't "wow" me. I guess I thought that it would've turned better.
    At least my timing for reading Flash seemed that way. Im finding the new reverse-flash who is part of the Suicide Squad, and his new-found enlightenment, a more compelling read at the moment.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Oh for sure, if you already dig John than I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much fun the current book gets. It's not as good as Hellblazer but it has its own feel. Just steer clear of the volume that came before it, that was no bueno.

Hm from DC, I'd say check out Omega Men. That book is really almost too fantastic, and completely self contained. Grayson, which is my personal favorite, is entering into crossover territory but the trades are out and well worth it. Prez is one of DC's best books in a long time. Doctor Fate isn't breaking any ground but it's a cool little comic with really rad art.

Have you read any of Charles Soule's Swamp Thing? I believe it's all out in trades and it's the best Swamp thing has been in a while. Grant Morrison's Action Comics is also wonderful and all collected. For moody and stylistic, you can't go wrong with Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka. It's in pre-Flashpoint continuity but sort of carries over into current continuity without any real changes at all.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-18-2015 at 11:19 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Martian Manhunter is getting a better treatment than ever, I think. My eyes glaze over when I think of the solo titles for The Flash and GL and all the other GL books. They're just not in especially good hands. If you want to read great GL, read the Geoff Johns run. After that it got bad. Manapul's Flash at the beginning of the New 52 was pretty good. When he left, not so much. I haven't followed Constantine/Hellblazer since the classic Vertigo run. By the time the New 52 came around I felt they'd run out of ideas for the character and he got sort of cookie cutter for me.

Dial H was one of my favorite New 52 series. Animal Man and Swamp Thing also started out really great and I'd recommend all Dial H trades and AM and ST in their first arcs but not so much beyond those.

The main Batman title is great. The ancillary Batman titles are hit and miss except for Grayson which I haven't personally read yet but which gets universally high marks as does Midnighter.

Not everyone loved Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman but I did. I also loved Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on Aquaman. At the beginning of the New 52, for maybe the first time in DC history, each of the "Super Friends" (Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the team book Justice League) were in great hands. I include Robin because the Batman and Robin title was great for the first few years of New 52 also.

You mentioned JL Dark which I loved in its first arc, with Janin drawing, and I'd recommend the first trade of that title too.

For my money though no DC title is as good as Justice League has gotten. It started slow and everyone complained about that but it built and built until it was just great and right now I believe Justice League is as good or better than it's been ever. I also love Brian Hitch's JLA and I think the new arc on JLU (only about 5 issues old) is pretty neat especially for Foreman's art but it's sadly being canceled as too many of the best relaunched titles have been.

Hope that helps.
    Really? Damn, it's good to hear that MM has a great ongoing title. He was always my favourite from the League, so I'm excited to "re-discover" him.

That bad huh? I actually did read the New 52 Johns run, but I still need to go back to his older one (post Rebirth).

I actually had Batman in my list, but having missed the first 13 or so issues (and the fact that I could never get them since they cost about 1.000 bucks), turned me off a bit and I cancelled it a few months ago. I'll probably add it again though.

I was thinking of adding JL, since it's essentially THE super-team, and I doubt it's going to get relaunched soon. It's just that I'm going to have to buy about 40-something single issues. Ooooh, boy...

Yes, this was extremely helpful, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Oh for sure, if you already dig John than I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much fun the current book gets. It's not as good as Hellblazer but it has its own feel. Just steer clear of the volume that came before it, that was no bueno.

Hm from DC, I'd say check out Omega Men. That book is really almost too fantastic, and completely self contained. Grayson, which is my personal favorite. Doctor Fate isn't breaking any ground but it's a cool little comic with really rad art.

Have you read any of Charles Soule'a Swamp Thing? I believe it's all out in trades and it's the best Swamp thing has been in a while. Grant Morrison's Action Comics is also wonderful and all collected. For moody and stylistic, you can't go wrong with Batwoman: Elegy by Greg Rucka. It's in pre-Flashpoint continuity but sort of carries over into current continuity without any real changes at all.
    I read the 1st issue of Omega Men, but due to not having much prior knowledge of them I got a bit lost. I'll probably get in HC though, since it's ending with #12 from what I've heard.

I wanted to try Doctor Fate when I heard the news, but the fact that it was yet another new guy as Fate turned me off a bit. That and the indie-like art. I might give it a shot though.

As for Grayson, I do like the premise and the character, so I'll probably try it.

I've read a bit of the Snyder run (thank you digital), and I was thinking about getting the trades. I really like Swamp-Thing, but I wasn't pulling stuff during the reboot, so I've lost a couple of things.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    For New 52 runs, I'll echo Grant Morrison's Action Comics, Charles Soule's Swamp Thing, Jeff Lemire's Animal Man, and most of all China Mieville's Dial H. Ditto Morrison's whole Batman run, and his Seven Soldiers/Final Crisis, if you are willing to invest.
    I've had them in my "to read list" for a while now, but I still need to hunt some back issues first. The increasingly good talk about them makes the wait all the more unbearable though, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Hey hey!

Dark Universe was scuttled without any word as to why. Most of it is being folded into Constantine, as it's the same writing team.

So, for my money, the best titles being published by DC right now are, in no particular order:

Omega Men
    Grayson
    Prez

These are all next level good comics, innovative and smart and formally experimental and completely different from anything else at DC, Marvel or Image. I can't recommend these titles enough.

On the next level of 'very good comics' are

Midnighter, which is science fiction violence/action that is very reminiscent of Ellis' work.
    Martian Manhunter, which is a more subtle, creeping sort of science fiction that is excellently told with a lot of really great ideas and a sense of something truly alien.
    Constantine, which is maybe a little on the nose with a lot of what it does but is gorgeous and pretty on model for John
    Robin, Son of Batman which is a great adventure tale with a lot of heart and a lot of cool science fiction concepts.
    We Are Robin, which actually was pretty middling until last issue completely blew me out of the water.
    Secret Six, which is wicked, violent, surprising, funny, and characterful.
    All Star Section 8, a mini series and continuation of Hitman, it's hilarious and offensive and pokes fun at everything.
    Catwoman, but that run is ending and is to be replaced with something much poorer.

There are a lot of comics that I'd consider to be high quality, that just aren't to my taste:

Black Canary, which is gorgeous and different.
    Batgirl, which is energetic and fun.
    Gotham Academy, which is sweet and heartfelt and personal.
    Batman, which is the most popular book in the industry

Enjoy!
    Damn, I was actually really excited for a new JL: Dark title. Oh well, JonCon will have to do.

As for the rest, thanks you so much for the in-depth "reviews". I really appreciate it.

I actually had Batman in my list, but having missed the first 13 or so issues (and the fact that I could never get them since they cost about 1.000 bucks), turned me off a bit and I cancelled it a few months ago. I'll probably add it again though.

I was thinking of adding JL, since it's essentially THE super-team, and I doubt it's going to get relaunched soon. It's just that I'm going to have to buy about 40-something single issues. Ooooh, boy...
    Don't get the single issues; they'll break you. Get the trades of JL. You might also want to supplement with the main Forever Evil series when you reach the point where the Crime Syndicate appears.

I'd recommend getting the trades of Batman too. But if you can only afford one, this 46 year old lifelong DC fan recommends JL over anything else. What's happening now in the Darkseid War arc is off the hook and Johns (and his incredible stream of artists, current artist Fabok being the best of many greats) has been building to it from the beginning of the series. The last 44 issues have been dynamite and it's only getting better. I'd recommend JL, the whole run, over anything else at DC. When you get caught up I think you'll really be grateful for the recommendation. What Johns and Fabok have been doing on that title makes me feel like a kid again. I am that excited to get each new issue as soon as it hits the stands.

Martian Manhunter is getting a better treatment than ever, I think. My eyes glaze over when I think of the solo titles for The Flash and GL and all the other GL books. They're just not in especially good hands. If you want to read great GL, read the Geoff Johns run. After that it got bad. Manapul's Flash at the beginning of the New 52 was pretty good. When he left, not so much. I haven't followed Constantine/Hellblazer since the classic Vertigo run. By the time the New 52 came around I felt they'd run out of ideas for the character and he got sort of cookie cutter for me.

Dial H was one of my favorite New 52 series. Animal Man and Swamp Thing also started out really great and I'd recommend all Dial H trades and AM and ST in their first arcs but not so much beyond those.

The main Batman title is great. The ancillary Batman titles are hit and miss except for Grayson which I haven't personally read yet but which gets universally high marks as does Midnighter.

Not everyone loved Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman but I did. I also loved Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis on Aquaman. At the beginning of the New 52, for maybe the first time in DC history, each of the "Super Friends" (Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the team book Justice League) were in great hands. I include Robin because the Batman and Robin title was great for the first few years of New 52 also.

You mentioned JL Dark which I loved in its first arc, with Janin drawing, and I'd recommend the first trade of that title too.

For my money though no DC title is as good as Justice League has gotten. It started slow and everyone complained about that but it built and built until it was just great and right now I believe Justice League is as good or better than it's been ever. I also love Brian Hitch's JLA and I think the new arc on JLU (only about 5 issues old) is pretty neat especially for Foreman's art but it's sadly being canceled as too many of the best relaunched titles have been.

Hope that helps.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Go with Sinestro. For me it's hands down the best title DC is putting out right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Go with Sinestro. For me it's hands down the best title DC is putting out right now.
    I already made up my pull-list, but I'll keep an eye out for it in case I drop another Marvel title.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I already made up my pull-list, but I'll keep an eye out for it in case I drop another Marvel title.
    I understand how it is with pull lists. Although I still read some Marvel and DC, I am dropping those books left and right to make room for more independent titles these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    I understand how it is with pull lists. Although I still read some Marvel and DC, I am dropping those books left and right to make room for more independent titles these days.
    Personally I prefer to read indies in trades. It's a much better feel IMO. Now I've also got to make room for 3 more series (MK, BP and Silver Surfer) and I just don't know what to drop (probably Carnage, X-Men and Ultimates).