Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    I remember a time in America when conservatism and avaricious corporatism weren't joined at the hip. (Quick question. When did Red Wing acquire a sonic cannon? Is that Shield tech?) Should probably ask this on another thread.
    He apparently got the sonic cannon in the eight month gap, but during Remender's run he apparently also became a vampire or something. Not sure what's up with that.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    Oh I see, you were agreeing when I was lamenting that sort of thinking. Text can be ambiguous online.

Indeed on both accounts. And thank you for the Red Wing input.

It's good someone is calling them out on it. We all know what's being implied here, and the political bias Marvel has.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    It's good someone is calling them out on it. We all know what's being implied here, and the political bias Marvel has.
    Do we?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    Indeed on both accounts. And thank you for the Red Wing input.
    No worries.

...care to elaborate on that?

I don't think they implied that hate groups like the KKK, which the Sons of the Serpent have always been in comics, are bad. I think they were very explicit about it.

If anybody who doesn't belong to such a group feels offended and tarred by that same brush, I have to take that as an indication that they are at least sympathetic to such groups and are outing themselves as such. After all, Sam wasn't fighting with the Border Patrol, or with Senators or Congresscritters arguing against amnesty, or everyday citizens who feel some kind of way about immigration - he was very specifically confronting a group he suspected (correctly, as it turns out) of making border crossers disappear, and who were visibly holding unarmed border crossers at gunpoint and giving every indication they were ready to use those firearms. A hero can stop such dire characters without necessarily taking any position on the legitimate debate over how much immigration to allow and whether there should be amnesty or a path to citizenship to those already in the country without proper legalities observed, and anybody who is offended on the villains' behalf is thereby indicating that they would at least tacitly approve of similar villainous tactics.

Take a parallel case, a hero (or a law enforcement officer doing their duty in the real world) could absolutely work to stop or take down an abortion clinic bomber, without that hero (or the writers of the story) necessarily taking a pro-choice position. You know why? Because regardless of your view on the real world political debate involved, if you can't recognize that a person setting bombs in a health clinic (that usually provides many other kinds of services beyond abortions, remember) is the villain of the piece, you're implicitly endorsing terrorist activity in order to advance one's political views. In terms of the story, you're focusing more on the villain's justification for their actions than on those actions themselves.