Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

The Anthony Mackie Trump endorsement makes this whole thing even funnier.
    We need better comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    The Anthony Mackie Trump endorsement makes this whole thing even funnier.
    Especially the idea that Trump came from nothing...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Jones View Post
    Somebody better keep Fox news away from Englehart's Captain America and Gerber's Defenders from the 70's.
    For real. The Watergate era was in full swing in those days, Nixon and Agnew both forced out of office due but for different reasons.

It's funny how, during the Bush era, all Marvel comics had pro-war and pro-Republican messages everywhere. Then when Obama became president, all the stories had a more liberal slant. I don't know my full Marvel 50 year history, but have they always been so blatant about making their books cater to whichever party is currently in power?

I'm... not entirely sure that's an accurate impression.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Frevoli View Post
    So... FoxandFriends see the Sons of the Serpent - the racist murderous militia that had (In the last Daredevil series, at least) infiltrated several levels of government and media - and go "Hey, that's us"

...can't make it up
    Yeah..that is kind of worrying for you guys in America. I mean If i was you i would look cautiously at Fox. Do they have a private army yet?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    It's funny how, during the Bush era, all Marvel comics had pro-war and pro-Republican messages everywhere. Then when Obama became president, all the stories had a more liberal slant. I don't know my full Marvel 50 year history, but have they always been so blatant about making their books cater to whichever party is currently in power?
    I think it's more to do with changing attitudes. Whoever is President must be the majority's choice, and therefore at least a vague reflection of the national consciousness. Makes sense that comics should roughly follow the political status quo.

Extraordinary Member

In the post-9/11 era there was definitely this sense that they would get in trouble for making fun of Bush, and then after Bush won the 2004 election, a lot of people in media started to worry that the country was turning against them and they didn't get it somehow. There were still liberal messages here and there, especially after the Iraq war got more unpopular, but it was a conservative time for culture. A famous example is that The Simpsons never caricatured George W. Bush, even though they constantly made fun of his dad and of President Clinton.

Recently there's more of an idea that the future belongs to the more diverse and tolerant young people, and that Republicans get most of their support from old people, who aren't the target audience for most entertainment (advertisers famously pay much more for young people than old people). So there's been some shifting with the political winds, but also shifting to where they think the money is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I know they have but it was wrong metaphor used in this I didn't like that they did. Pretty much birth being equated to gay marriage. I am someone that supports gay marriage. I was mad when they forced out Batwoman creative team not letting her get married. Mad when Apollo/Midnighter were unmarried by dumb reboot. Happy as old Alpha Flight fan for Northstar when he got married.
    To be fair to DC, they do seem to practice marriage equality, as in absoluely none of our characters shall be married, gay or straight.
    Which is a whole other kind of stupid.

Spectacular Member

*shrug* Extreme left propaganda is nothing new to NuMarvel or recent Captain America. Anyone remember the hideous "Working for a munitions manufacturer is worse than being a terrorist!" issue?

This, too, shall pass.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

It's not leftist propaganda because the Serpents are not accurate portrays of conservatives. Stop identifying with them and the problem will be solved.

No one (not even liberals) thinks that the Serpents represent conservative values. They are an extremely exaggerated caricature. Jesus.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

Screw Fox news

Spectacular Member

It's funny how, during the Bush era, all Marvel comics had pro-war and pro-Republican messages everywhere.
    That would be the same Marvel that had the Punisher threatening to assassinate a very thinly veiled (and very drunk) GWB caricature in 2004, yes?

And that had the excreable John Ney Riber run on Captain America in 2003, where terrorists are good guys, justified in their actions.

Marvel has a long history of alienating over half of its potential readership.

PR_Beyonder

Quote Originally Posted by Frevoli View Post
    So... FoxandFriends see the Sons of the Serpent - the racist murderous militia that had (In the last Daredevil series, at least) infiltrated several levels of government and media - and go "Hey, that's us"

...can't make it up
    lol....classic

Amazing Member

Nothing true about that statement at all.

That comment also makes no sense, since propaganda by definition isn't accurate.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-20-2015 at 02:28 PM.