Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by syvyn11 View Post
    How about this. A Marvel comic takes a strong conservative stand, and MSNBC rips the book for being conservative. Would you call MSNBC 'nutters'?
    Plenty of comics have taken a strong conservative stand over the years. Almost any run on The Punisher, for example. But if a comic were to be deemed "too conservative" or that it was seen to portray liberal ideologies in a negative light, you can bet the response would not be as knee-jerk and vitriolic as the conservative reaction to this.

As others have pointed out, there's nothing so controversial in this issue. Sam defends a group of unarmed people against a hate group. Any superhero would do that. Any cop would do that. You can be against illegal immigration and yet not believe that it's fair game to attack, kidnap, or kill anyone crossing our border. If what the Sons of the Serpent are up to in this issue is that close to what you actually believe, then don't blame a comic book for making your beliefs look bad.

How about this. A Marvel comic takes a strong conservative stand, and MSNBC rips the book for being conservative. Would you call MSNBC 'nutters'?
    Depends on what they said. If they showed this staggering an amount of ignorance of actual Marvel history, I'd certainly point and laugh.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Invincible Member

It's interesting that they completely leave out the fact that SoS are a violent hate group to make seem as if Marvel is simply attacking republicans.

Alex Jones has gone as far as to suggest this issue is an attack on white people and somehow ties it in to Don Johnson's role in the movie Machete. Course, Alex was personally spoofed in Uncanny Avengers so get he's upset.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

I'm disappointed that they never reacted to Cap in the axis issues of Mighty Avengers.

BANNED

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot us on the right don't have a right to voice our opinion. When I saw this book at my LCS, I knew it was a dog. After flipping through, I was right.
    I can never tell if things like this are meant to be serious. RW opinions are everywhere, and when I see people complain like this all I can think is that their expectation must be that their opinion should be the only one.
    Also, people have the right to their opinion, but when they express it in public they should expect that other people will express THEIR opinion, including about the original opinion.

BANNED

Comics HAVE taken strong conservative stances on things, for decades. But a lot of RWs don't know that, or notice it, because to many of them (through both my own observation and things they themselves have said) those aren't "stances", they're just "the way it is". It's only when stories are from another POV that they even notice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Regardless, politics has always been a part of the Captain America book, so Spencer's just following tradition in that regard.
    Politics are part of almost ANY comic, no matter how much people go on about escapism. It's just that, again, if it's RW politics (propping up the perceived status quo being the best example) they don't notice it. But, put in something about allowing gays to marry, giving minorities more prominence, and that's when you hear the cry of "no politics in my escapism".
    Makes me wonder what the world to which they want to escape looks like.

BANNED

Not surprising that Fox News has chosen to identify with a terrorist hate-group. Loved when one of the hosts said that the Sons of the Serpent should have a comic! LMAO.

I don't always agree with fox on pop culture things but this well considering how left wing leaning marvel and dc have been in last decade not a surprise. Comics have become more liberal at times in that time period. Marvel fawned over Obama after getting elected. There was moving X-Men to San Francisco and making them gay marriage analogy. Even to the point where the law passed where mutants can't have kids uses the same number (or close) as the gay marriage law in california. Writer doesn't seem to be denying it even almost backing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I don't always agree with fox on pop culture things but this well considering how left wing leaning marvel and dc have been in last decade not a surprise. Comics have become more liberal at times in that time period. Marvel fawned over Obama after getting elected. There was moving X-Men to San Francisco and making them gay marriage analogy. Even to the point where the law passed where mutants can't have kids uses the same number (or close) as the gay marriage law in california. Writer doesn't seem to be denying it even almost backing it up.
    Honestly I think media, generally speakig takes a more "liberal" slant. Which possibly makes perfect sense since the majority of the people in this country fall under that category.

Course, I say "liberal" in the US context. To the rest of the world I think US liberals are conservative and US conversatives are slightly more conservative.

Spectacular Member

Like other folks have already said- freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism. And its beyond silly when people keep trotting out the whole "all opinions are equal."

To my right wing friends (or however you choose to identify yourself), this country is big enough for all of us. You may have very strong opinions on these issues but I sincerely hope that we can at the very least, have respectful dialogue. Its my belief that we don't have to be so divided in this country. I apologize for going all "kumbaya" but I think one way to improve this country is to stop being so divided and antagonistic to people with differing viewpoints, even if you completely disagree with them. (I'll end my preachy post now.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    To the rest of the world I think US liberals are conservative and US conversatives are slightly more conservative.
    Pretty true. I know people from all over the world, and they think our leftwing is pretty much right of center, mostly, and that our politics is so right-shifted we can't see that.
    Except maybe Sanders...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Yes but the X-Men, and mutants in general, have been a metaphor for equality/social issues for a few decades now. I don't think you can point to them as an example of how liberal comics have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen T View Post
    Anytime when the border is discussed in the media

Yeah this is hyperbole and doesn't really help in furthering the discussion. Any specific examples you would like to name?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    Like other folks have already said- freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism. And its beyond silly when people keep trotting out the whole "all opinions are equal."

To my right wing friends (or however you choose to identify yourself), this country is big enough for all of us. You may have very strong opinions on these issues but I sincerely hope that we can at the very least, have respectful dialogue. Its my belief that we don't have to be so divided in this country. I apologize for going all "kumbaya" but I think one way to improve this country is to stop being so divided and antagonistic to people with differing viewpoints, even if you completely disagree with them. (I'll end my preachy post now.)
    QFT. I find it funny and yet sad that how many people are willing to line up to vote for Trump with all the ridiculous things he's spouted...insulting candidates on their looks (Fiorina), disparaging POWs and equating everything to a business deal. He can literally get away with saying anything and he doesn't lose any support. Congress is run like a sporting contest. Everything must be in the win column and there is no room compromise. No wonder Boehner resigned.