Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yes but the X-Men, and mutants in general, have been a metaphor for equality/social issues for a few decades now. I don't think you can point to them as an example of how liberal comics have become.
    I know they have but it was wrong metaphor used in this I didn't like that they did. Pretty much birth being equated to gay marriage. I am someone that supports gay marriage. I was mad when they forced out Batwoman creative team not letting her get married. Mad when Apollo/Midnighter were unmarried by dumb reboot. Happy as old Alpha Flight fan for Northstar when he got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I know they have but it was wrong metaphor used in this I didn't like that they did. Pretty much birth being equated to gay marriage. I am someone that supports gay marriage. I was mad when they forced out Batwoman creative team not letting her get married. Mad when Apollo/Midnighter were unmarried by dumb reboot. Happy as old Alpha Flight fan for Northstar when he got married.
    Ok, gotcha. So I take it your objection is the idea that people are born gay isn't something you agree with?

(And I don't want to debate your opinion on that subject, just trying to clarify your point.)

Hopefully the media attention will increase sales.

I am not political,nor do I care. I have no dog in any political fight. I do find it interesting when these people on this show don't look like they actually have a real job? One comicbook writer's perception does not mean he is slamming conservatives. Funny how conservatives feel they are the true warriors of this country. What a joke.

Spartak87

I would LOVE to see The Daily Show, The Nightly Show or Last Week Tonight take a wack at this.

http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/...m-nothing.html

In related news. Real life Falcon, Anthony Mackie endorses Donald Trump...
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hopefully for Spencer this is all worth it.

He's getting a lot of spotlight for him and his book, which is great ... but it's also opening the flood gates to a whole lot of drama. Especially 1 issue into his book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Hopefully the media attention will increase sales.
    Well my brother-in-law has a piano book on Amazon, and he says no feedback boosts sales as much as an unfair one-star review from an obvious idiot. People sympathise and are more likely to check out the book. Most likely the media coverage of this story will drive a bunch of liberal (or simply anti-fox) leaning folks to check out the book, while the apoplectic nut jobs who agree with Fox News wouldn't have picked the book up in the first place.

Death threats are always a bummer, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Funny how they didn't feel the need to complain about this when they were a villain in the last Daredevil series.
    Add in the fact he's a black hero beating up extremists, and those panels at the gay marriage parade, and its like a perfect storm of Fox News-bait.

Quote Originally Posted by syvyn11 View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot us on the right don't have a right to voice our opinion. When I saw this book at my LCS, I knew it was a dog. After flipping through, I was right.
    "I have a right to free speech, how dare you exercise yours" in other words.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-19-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Ok, gotcha. So I take it your objection is the idea that people are born gay isn't something you agree with?

(And I don't want to debate your opinion on that subject, just trying to clarify your point.)
    Be honest with you I can't give you a real answer. I mean guess you born that way. Straight or gay or bi. I like women something I have and never interest any other way. I'm not god so I can't give you definitive answer if we are born Straight or gay or bi.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

We're talking about Faux News which looks for bogeymen under every rock when it comes to those nasty damn liberals. Nothing to write home about.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/...m-nothing.html

In related news. Real life Falcon, Anthony Mackie endorses Donald Trump...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Be honest with you I can't give you a real answer. I mean guess you born that way. Straight or gay or bi. I like women something I have and never interest any other way. I'm not god so I can't give you definitive answer if we are born Straight or gay or bi.
    Ok cool. Thanks for responding honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Eh, honestly Mackie is typically in the Raven-Symone "Let's say dumb #$## club."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

I think it's fair to say that issues like illegal immigration are always badly handled in popular culture. One of the few that was more nuanced about it was The Simpsons, where Marge tells Apu that "your story is so understandable, and really, your only crime was violating U.S. law." Fox is trying to stir up trouble as usual, but you can see how readers with reservations about illegal immigration would object to being lumped in with the Sons of the Serpent.

But this is superhero comics, where morality is simplistic and everything comes down to good guys vs. bad guys; the Sons of the Serpent have been in the comics as anti-immigrant bad guys for almost 50 years, and they're not going to change now.

Part of the problem is that comics don't have real diversity, which means political and intellectual diversity. Writers mostly look the same and they also think the same, which is how most comic writers wind up with more or less the same ideas about every current topic.

I would love to see, just from the point of view of variety, a conservative take on Captain America. Most writers make him a liberal because he represents their ideal of what an American should be, but it would be interesting to see what a good conservative writer would do differently. However, once Nick Spencer has the book, you can't expect him to eliminate all his political views - Captain America is, and always has been, partly a political book. Spencer shouldn't be asked to stay away from politics just because he's in an industry that doesn't value political diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Miracleman View Post
    I am not political, nor do I care. I have no dog in any political fight.
    *sighs* My kingdom for more people like us. And in turn, my last post on a thread I normally would never, NEVER participate in...but otherwise, I wouldn't have the chance to say this: There are a lot of problems with this brave new world, but among the most glaring of them are way, WAY too many people being too damn political for their britches, and allowing that to be a 'reason' to be as entitled as all get-out (another problem with this gawdforsaken world, another discussion) and tell people how to conduct themselves and/or how idiotic they're being for not thinking or doing things a certain and only proper way, nor voting for the 'correct' people. The day politics go back to not being everywhere, even and especially in things and entities originally designed to escape from such malarkey, AND people wake up and realize that, regardless of party, all politicians are selfish bullsh*tters, is the day that *gasp* the world might actually be a (even if minimally somewhat) better place.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Eh, honestly Mackie is typically in the Raven-Symone "Let's say dumb #$## club."
    Awwwww for real???
    SAD.