Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

ok, I get that it's gun and snarky to say FOX news sees hateful terrorists and identifies with them, but you must realize that isn't at all what is happening. They see this comic as portraying people who want border security as hateful terrorists who "Cap" can punch around. It's a dumb over simplification and demonizing of apposing views. It would be like some fiction showing anarchists and anti-American group advocating for open boarders in order to have illegals vote in elections then Batman fighting them. Then if anyone on the left has a problem with that you say they identify with anti-American election stealers. It's the characterization that they are having a problem with. Bash them all you want, but purposely not getting the point does you no favors.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Since when is a superhero defending civilians from a terrorist group considered politically charged?

All-New Member

What legitimate ideas? Seriously, name one legitimate idea that was put into the Sons' mouths, or that's regularly parroted by the right wing noise box in this country, and I'll get you a cookie. Chocolate chip, sprinkles, your choice.

boarder security. duh.
    Last edited by KamenRyan; 10-19-2015 at 12:29 PM.

As an existential humanist, I see very clearly that morals are not absolute; they are creations deeply rooted in our biology and social history.

That being said, some morals and belief systems just make more sense than others.

Consider the definitions of the words "liberal" and "conservative." Then consider the trajectory of human history.

Is there a more logical "side"? I believe so.

Also, I think it's worth noting that, for all our achievements and creativity and capabilities, humans are still dumb animals often ruled by base survival instincts like fear. Certain people/groups find themselves losing power - political and otherwise - and are fighting tooth and nail to keep what they feel they deserve inherently. It's happening now and it happened in the past and it will likely happen in the future.

As a white American male, I'm all for giving up some power. For example, I think women would rule the world more effectively if they more often sat in the seats of power.

-Pav, who thinks the folks at Fox News and their ardent followers see what's coming (and just hate it)...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    And yet, it's the left who gets told to shut up anytime they try to make a political argument in art. Funny old world, eh?

And yeah, given that the policy in question is "Don't go and murder people, even if they're really brown", I can't really shed any tears for someone who thinks they're being harassed because they're in favor of the opposite side.
    The left being a victim of silencing is just false. Look at any college campus and ANY entertainment medium. Just deal in reality dude.

Spartak87

Quote Originally Posted by KamenRyan View Post
    boarder security. duh.
    Border security done by people who are not law enforcement officers? Just random people who have no legal authority to detain/apprehend immigrants?

portraying people who want border security as hateful terrorists
    More "people who want to take border security into their own hands by basically killing people they think look funny". Which is, unfortunately, a thing that does exist in real life.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

ok, I get that it's gun and snarky to say FOX news sees hateful terrorists and identifies with them, but you must realize that isn't at all what is happening. They see this comic as portraying people who want border security as hateful terrorists who "Cap" can punch around. It's a dumb over simplification and demonizing of apposing views. It would be like some fiction showing anarchists and anti-American group advocating for open boarders in order to have illegals vote in elections then Batman fighting them. Then if anyone on the left has a problem with that you say they identify with anti-American election stealers. It's the characterization that they are having a problem with. Bash them all you want, but purposely not getting the point does you no favors.
    No, it's not. It would be like Batman beating up a group of people who are killing INS agents and then threatening to kill him.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The left being a victim of silencing is just false. Look at any college campus and ANY entertainment medium. Just deal in reality dude.
    I never said the attempt at silencing works, just that it gets trotted out like clockwork.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

Extraordinary Member

What legitimate ideas? Seriously, name one legitimate idea that was put into the Sons' mouths, or that's regularly parroted by the right wing noise box in this country, and I'll get you a cookie. Chocolate chip, sprinkles, your choice.
    Just think about something you believe and support, and imagine seeing it portrayed as something that is only supported by hate groups. In fact, you've already thought about it, having been offended by the way left-wing ideas were portrayed in The Dark Knight Rises.

If you think the other side has nothing but hateful ideas that are as bad as the Sons of the Serpent, that's fine, but you can at least imagine how people feel when they see the implication that only racists and terrorists could believe in restricting illegal immigration, or whatever else.

Again, because of the lack of political diversity in comics, people who have liberal ideas tend not to realize how privileged they are in seeing their ideas constantly reflected back at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartak87 View Post
    Border security done by people who are not law enforcement officers? Just random people who have no legal authority to detain/apprehend immigrants?
    And seem to think the most important part of the job is cradling their impressively large firearms. Don't forget that part.

All-New Member

I never said the attempt at silencing works, just that it gets trotted out like clockwork.
    It just gets used more often and effectively by the left.

Spartak87

It's crazy, my brother-in-law was actually in the same comic book store picking up comic books when Bill from MacIver Institute was buying that CA comic. He told me he was like, "What is this guy doing in a comic book store."

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Just think about something you believe and support, and imagine seeing it portrayed as something that is only supported by hate groups. In fact, you've already thought about it, having been offended by the way left-wing ideas were portrayed in The Dark Knight Rises.

If you think the other side has nothing but hateful ideas that are as bad as the Sons of the Serpent, that's fine, but you can at least imagine how people feel when they see the implication that only racists and terrorists could believe in restricting illegal immigration, or whatever else.

Again, because of the lack of political diversity in comics, people who have liberal ideas tend not to realize how privileged they are in seeing their ideas constantly reflected back at them.
    If you're so offended by the notion of something you support being used in a negative way then maybe fiction isn't for you. I don't take it personally cause when Batman beats up Poison Ivy just cause I'm a vegetarian. Some sort of judgement needs to be exercised here. In the context of the book that Sons of Serpent are the bad guys not cause they hold conservative views but because THEY WERE GOING TO MURDER INNOCENT PEOPLE.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

I have seen what I believed supported by hate groups. I don't think there anyone in the world who haven't. The difference is when they cross the line into cold-blooded murder I don't automatically freak out. I will admit there are people who do but I make fun of their reactions the same as I do here.