Spectacular Member

Question where are we, post-convergence?

Reading Convergence, I understood that COIE was averted. Therefore, there was no Earth-United5 at the end of it, which would make Zero Hour and all that came after it not-valid. Also, there was the ''actualization'' of current Earths (when they get transformed in that big panel).

Then, with Superman: Lois and Clark, I understood that the characters from Convergence helped avert the Crisis, and each went on to find somewhere to live and be happy. Superman, Lois and the kid stay on the Earth that was earth-1, I suppose, since there was no Earth-United5 because there has been no uni-verse, only multi-verse.

So, am I supposed to believe that things like Zero Hour, Flashpoint, etc. happened somewhere, right? ... Where exactly did they happen? .... Mind you, it was easy for me to understand the post-Crisis Crisis because in Post-Crisis they mentioned that there had been a Crisis, but it was a Crisis in Time, not across multiverses. .....

IF the theory of the local multiverses is valid....did Clark and Lois skip to a different multiverse....or did the fact that they avert the Crisis ACTUALLY CREATED another multiverse, the one where they now live (the multiversity 52)?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

We might need for writers to decide to use these concepts in new stories (and DC to publish them) before we begin getting any answers. At this point, I doubt if anybody at DC even knows, though I hope someone there is thinking about it.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Spectacular Member

I imagined so... I was just wondering if this had been covered somewhere else, like in Telos. ... Here in Brazil, the dollar sky-rocketed, so I had to cut my purchases 50% approximately.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by philosopop View Post
    Reading Convergence, I understood that COIE was averted. Therefore, there was no Earth-United5 at the end of it, which would make Zero Hour and all that came after it not-valid.
    I'll stop you right there. Just because the larger multiverse wasn't destroyed doesn't mean that there wasn't a new Earth created that was an amalgamation of other worlds, or that anybody living on that world knew about the multiverse being out there somewhere. So all of the stories after the Crisis could have taken place the same as they ever did, there were just a bunch of other Earths out there that nobody knew about.

I don't expect that we'll see very much of this stuff moving forward. I think Convergence was mostly just a filler to publish while they were moving their offices across the country. They are doing the Telos series and the Superman: Lois and Clark series but I don't think either of those will have much "past continuity" stuff in them.
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 10-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm trapped on Earth 33!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I'll stop you right there. Just because the larger multiverse wasn't destroyed doesn't mean that there wasn't a new Earth created that was an amalgamation of other worlds, or that anybody living on that world knew about the multiverse being out there somewhere. So all of the stories after the Crisis could have taken place the same as they ever did, there were just a bunch of other Earths out there that nobody knew about.
    I think that's acceptable as a working theory while we don't (if ever) get an answer to this.

Incredible Member

Here's my theory:

The Multiverse never went away.

If you have read your share of post-crisis material, you know that the multiverse was always there somehow. I think the most notable example is Angor, the marvel-pastiche Earth where the Extremists come from.

But, WAIT! We SAW the multiverse die, so what the hell?

Well, yes and no.

We saw the multiverse die to all these anti-matter walls. The Monitor decided to fuse five Earths so they could become sturdy enough to survive. So he did.
    Except that Lois and Clark, Pre-Crisis Supergirl, Parallax and Barry Allen went back into the past and fixed it. So the Multiverse was destroyed... and then it wans't.

My take is that the "Clutter Earth" is actually a new Earth created during the crisis (possibly as a mean of storing all that multiverse-data) and it was shunted somewhere mostly inaccessible during the crisis. The events of 52 then created (restored?) a new multiverse around it.

It seems clear to me, tho, that all the old universes are still there in their Earths - they're just somewhere else in hypertime now. One could even say that there are multiple hypertime multiverses - say, a pre-crisis one, Post-Crisis Clutter Earth/Anti-Matter Earth and Post-Flashpoint Multiverse. Every Earth has its own hypertimelines.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Question!

Does the timeline of the DCU even make sense anymore?

Serious question, because after all the convergence shenanigans, and the relaunch of certain titles, while not specifically starting over for certain characters. I wonder if even TPTB at DC even know what's going on or if all of it even makes sense.