Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Any news on DC's magic books?

Dark Universe (Tynion/Doyle's replacements)? Mystic U? Doesn't feel the same with JL Dark gone and no replacement...

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

If Dark Universe is a new ongoing comic series with Etrigan, Zatanna and/or Raven as main protagonists, I'd be very interested in it.

I'm surprised there hasn't really been any news for Dark Universe or Mystik U for the past several months. I usually completely forgot about them when I check the new DC solicits, but it would be nice to see new information about the two.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

I honestly feel like DC forgot about this themselves.
    I was just thinking about this just this week, but sadly nothing in that department.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I'm surprised they haven't anounced something "Dark" related, since the line is one of their biggest successes of the past few years.
    Cyclops was right

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well we have Hellblazer, Doctor Fate, and the Mystic U/Tim Hunter book is still in the works.

BANNED

From what I've been told, Dark Universe has been canned, but most of what they had planned will be implemented on Constantine: The Hellblazer. I also saw Swamp Thing #1 in the new solicits, but it turns out it's just a miniseries. Honestly, DC's Supernatural properties are dang great, so I'd love to either solos or a team book for characters such as Etrigan, Deadman and Swamp-Thing. Also, I know some people like the new Dr. Fate book, but I really don't. Why can't we just get a proper "magician" book? Marvel's destroying Strange by making him a womanizer, while DC's taking the indie approach. I just want a book with a mature sorcerer doing sorcer-y things dangit, how hard is it? Plus, the Earth 2 design was the bees knees, why can't I have that in an ongoing? Pretty please?

BANNED

I am a bit worried the Dark Universe book will quietly be forgotten, considering how little has actually been said of it and Tynion jumping ship early.

But yeah, I am a bit underwhelmed by the lack of magical/mystical offerings from DC these days when compared to a few years ago. But admittedly, none of these books were really sellers and I suppose the massive FE tie in drove alot of readers away.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Marvel's destroying Strange by making him a womanizer,...
    Wasn't he always a womanizer originally?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Wasn't he always a womanizer originally?
    Not really. Sure, he had a relationship with Clea, who was his pupil (but also the heir to the Dark Dimension), but he never went around smooching demon ladies in possesed little kids' nightmares. The only time he "slept around" was during Fraction's Defenders run, but he beat himself up for the rest of the series. He was always a calculating man, and mostly acted with restrain. This "new" Strange in ANAD is unrecognizable. His sash, gloves, cloak and white temples are gone. He's also wearing sneakers and having "women problems". I'm sure, but a character that's essentially the ultimate "priest" in a way, he's acting very strange. It's as if they wanted to write Tony Stark as a sorcerer. I'll say it again, this "person" is not Strange. It's a discrace and it really turned me off in regards to the movie if that's the direction they're taking. Honestly, I'm a little fed up with the whole "clever one-liners and Stark humor" appearing in everything...

I was hoping for more in the Dark Universe. Maybe they'll do a revival of Vertigo?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I was hoping for more in the Dark Universe. Maybe they'll do a revival of Vertigo?
    Haven't they already? The new Lucifer series is a Vertigo title if I'm not mistaken. But I doubt they'd make it a Vertigo title if they ever announced a new JL: Dark like book. It'd allow for more stories, but you have to count synergy as well, and when the movie happens, they'll want to tie the comic in with it.

BANNED

Not really. Sure, he had a relationship with Clea, who was his pupil (but also the heir to the Dark Dimension), but he never went around smooching demon ladies in possesed little kids' nightmares.
    Maybe not, but I was having this impression of him that he was like that back when he was just a doctor and that it followed him after he became a sorcerer and it was just downplayed in recent years with all of his ups and downs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Maybe not, but I was having this impression of him that he was like that back when he was just a doctor and that it followed him after he became a sorcerer and it was just downplayed in recent years with all of his ups and downs.
    Oh, when he was a doctor certainly. He was an arrogant and vain piece of cr@p. But since becoming a sorcerer he got away from all of that. So essentialy he's not been a womanizer for more than a few pages during his backstory. Dr. Strange was never a ladies man, and Marvel turned him into "Magic Tony"...

From what I've been told, Dark Universe has been canned, but most of what they had planned will be implemented on Constantine: The Hellblazer. I also saw Swamp Thing #1 in the new solicits, but it turns out it's just a miniseries. Honestly, DC's Supernatural properties are dang great, so I'd love to either solos or a team book for characters such as Etrigan, Deadman and Swamp-Thing. Also, I know some people like the new Dr. Fate book, but I really don't. Why can't we just get a proper "magician" book? Marvel's destroying Strange by making him a womanizer, while DC's taking the indie approach. I just want a book with a mature sorcerer doing sorcer-y things dangit, how hard is it? Plus, the Earth 2 design was the bees knees, why can't I have that in an ongoing? Pretty please?

Completely agree. I personally am enjoying Dr. Fate (didn't really enjoy Tynion/Doyle's Constantine so dropped it) but I really miss Deadman and Etrigan and Zatanna especially.

And as I type this, I remember when we still had the awesome Demon Knights... Man the magic line has really slimmed down.

Dr. Strange was never a ladies man, and Marvel turned him into "Magic Tony"...
    I was considering getting this into my pull list to fill my magic itch but now...I'll take a hard pass on "Magic Tony" please.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by clar-el View Post
    Completely agree. I personally am enjoying Dr. Fate (didn't really enjoy Tynion/Doyle's Constantine so dropped it) but I really miss Deadman and Etrigan and Zatanna especially.

And as I type this, I remember when we still had the awesome Demon Knights... Man the magic line has really slimmed down.
    I don't know, when I think of Fate (like Strange), I think of this other-wordly sorcerer that deals with threats that mere mortals can't comprehense. A medical student in a blue sweater just doesn't do it for me. It's not a bad book, from what I've read it's pretty enjoyable. It's just not what I'd envisioned it to be.

I've not read the entirety of Demon Knights, but from what I have read, it's pretty darn awesome. Honestly, I just want to see Etrigan again. Seriously, he's a demon who speaks in rhymes! Rhymes! How cool is that?

As for Constantine, I passed on the previous title, but I liked the new vol, so I started pulling it. It's not Vertigo Hellblazer, but it's still damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by clar-el View Post
    I was considering getting this into my pull list to fill my magic itch but now...I'll take a hard pass on "Magic Tony" please.
    Stay away from it, no matter the glowing reviews. Hell, there's a scene in there, where Stephen goes to meet some fellow magicians in a magic bar. There he finds: Doctor Voodoo, Shaman and...Scarlet Witch, as the other hve already left. They then proceed to criticize him, until he admits that he was late because of "a woman". Monako (an obscure magician from the 50s or something), comes in and starts lecturing Strange. So yeah, that's not what I want to read in a Doc Strange comic. Oh, and that "woman"? She was someone he met while excorzing a demon from a kid's nightmare. And he started making out with her in the middle of the room...I used to think that Aaron was good, but between this, Original Sin, NuThor and his pretty bad Ghost Rider, I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, how do you take a concept such as Dr. Strange and turn it into Tony Stark with Magic? How?!?