Default Tyrion gets to choose a new champion! ~Potential Spoilers~

So lets just say that the Red Viper doesn't decide to be Tyrion's champion and he has to choose another. Could any of the following have defeated the Mountain in the same scenario?

1. Ned Stark (prime)

2. Robert Baratheon (prime)

3. Jamie (with both hands)

4. Bronn

5. Daario Naharis

6. Jon Snow

7. The Hound

8. Khal Drogo

9. Barristan Selmy (Prime)

The Red Viper should have won that match, if he had just killed him instead of trying to make him confess.

Oberyn was quick and agile which helped him get the upper hand during most of the fight, so someone similarly nimble could do The Mountain in.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

1. Ned Stark (prime) - MIGHT win with his Valerian steel greatsword - that stuff cuts through armor like butter.

2. Robert Baratheon (prime) - Robert lacks feats.

3. Jamie (with both hands) - Ought to take the Mountain the majority - excellent fighters have before, and Jamie was pretty top-tier for the world.

4. Bronn - Probably takes some - dude's very skilled.

5. Daario Naharis - Probably takes some as well - again, he's skilled.

6. Jon Snow - If he's got his Valerian sword, sure, if not, he's probably not quite good enough to take many.

7. The Hound - Goes at least equal with his brother, I'd say.

8. Khal Drogo - Doesn't really have any feats other than being Khal. Dunno.

9. Barristan Selmy (Prime) - Selmy destroys the mountain - the only 10-for-10 victory on this list. The dude was the best duelist in the world, more or less, and, even old and slow, the other Kingsguard were afraid to dare to draw steel on him.

Astonishing Member

Even decrepit old fart Selmy's a fucking killing-machine. Young Selmy kills the Mountain before breakfast, in his pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Even decrepit old fart Selmy's a fucking killing-machine. Young Selmy kills the Mountain before breakfast, in his pajamas.
    to be fair as to quote the Hound "he's got armor, and a big fucking sword". That wasn't about the Mountain specific, but he has such thick armor that only he can wear that is pretty hard to pierce

Newbie Member

If we are going off the books, Gregor is really supposed to be even bigger than he is in the show if I remember correctly. This gives him a huge advantage not only in strength but in reach. Oberyn used his spear to make sure he always had the reach advantage on Gregor and gained the advantage. But all the guys here use swords or hammers and will have to get within Gregor's reach to do him any damage and thats a huge risk.

1. Ned - Few really good fighting feats, and his valerian steel sword is his only trump card. I think the mountain would overpower Ned before he could get in close enough to really make good use of it. He can take some though. 4/10

2. Robert - He does have a few feats in flashback mode and people in the present still talk about him a lot. Jamie lists Robert in his prime as one of the few top tier knight that were physically stronger than him, along with Gregor and the Hound. However his fighting style was to overpower his opponent with the strength and hammer. I'm not seeing that work against Gregor. 3/10.
    3. Jamie - He is wary of Gregor but thinks he can take him. Given his feats I think he is right. 6/10.
    4. Bronn - This one is tricky. We know he thinks ahead enough to vary his combat style to suit his opponent, and can be fast and agile if need. Good chance he pulls an Oberyn and takes out a spear and if he gets the advantage on Gregor he won't stand around talking. Still we don't have any Bronn spear feats and with a sword he has the same disadvantages as everyone else. Lets say 5/10.
    5. Daario Naharis - Guy with a rapair vs giant man with a great sword? Sorry to Daario but I think this match up just doesn't suit him. 3/10
    6. Jon Snow - Still too green to take on this mountain, valerian sword or not. 1/10
    7. The Hound - If anyone has been thinking non-stop about how to kill Gregor its his brother. Maybe he has a plan, but based on pure feats and his special hatred I just give just below even odds. 4/10.
    8. Khal Drogo - Now this one is interesting. He has fought a lot of guys and is very agile. Don't know if he has ever fought anyone like Gregor though. Very hard to judge without more feats that we will never get.
    9. Selmy - Not many feats for prime Selmy. He was supposed to be good, but good enough to overcome the range and strength advantages? I put him around prime Jamie so I'd give him the same chances. 6/10.

A one on one melee with swords really plays to Gregor's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Holacik View Post
    The Red Viper should have won that match, if he had just killed him instead of trying to make him confess.
    What do you mean should have won? He totally beat that guy.

Wait, are you trying to say it didn't happen like this? Because that would be clearly wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I would call it a draw (with the Mountain winning on points because, well, it's Tywin who's in charge of awarding the points).

Incredible Member

I remember a scene from season 1 where the Mountain and the Hound literally went toe to toe and it only stopped because Robert called it off.

I think it's going to be a lot closer if it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I remember a scene from season 1 where the Mountain and the Hound literally went toe to toe and it only stopped because Robert called it off.

I think it's going to be a lot closer if it does happen.
    I could have sworn it was close, and others in the book think that Sandor could take his brother, but Gregor has such a psychological advantage that getting Sandor to fight as well as he would have to is really iffy.

Been a while since I read the books.... I wonder how bad my memory has gotten.

That said, Barristan and Jaime are the two best bets (if memory serves, the one thing Barristan could not fault Jaime for was his skill with a blade), with Sandor being a distant third.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Astonishing Member

Actually I think Robert might take it because warhammers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guest81 View Post
    to be fair as to quote the Hound "he's got armor, and a big fucking sword". That wasn't about the Mountain specific, but he has such thick armor that only he can wear that is pretty hard to pierce
    The Hound is super-cynical and he isn't exactly the best source of advice on fighting. Recall that the Syrio Forel *did* kill/knock-out like a dozen guys with a wooden sword, before his training sword finally broke. Only then did the guy with "armor and a big fucking sword" defeat him.

If you'd given Syrio a real sword, he could have eaten those guys for lunch, in half the time.

BANNED

Jaime and Barristan could have done it. They're both super-skilled and also quite agile. They'd probably win in a similar manner to how Oberyn did. (Oberyn won the duel, only his hubris got him killed. If he'd just backed off after that last stab, it would have been over.)

All the other guys fight in a manner too similar to The Mountain themselves, they're all big men and use styles that favor that size and strength. That's not an advantage against somebody who's even bigger and stronger.

Incredible Member

I wouldn't sell Bronn short as well.

He turned down fighting the mountain because it wasn't cost effective, not because he couldn't do it, and he's got a host of dirty tricks that the mountain might be caught off guard.

hell, I could see him feinting and pulling a dagger out of nowhere and either sticking it between the joints of the armor or going for the eyes.