Page 12 of 109 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    These criminals have also been described as "individually, they can take down ANY bender, together they can take down the world." Look Zuko was my favorite of the old cast, but I've got no problem with this. It's a common element in fiction used to build up your villains as a serious threat and I'm quite confident that there will be a rematch. It sounds like a lot of sour grapes on some fan's part "my favorite character didn't do well, so it sucks."
    He is not my favorite but he looked weak nowhere close to Uncle Iroh. That said these villains are way better then what we got before.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    He is not my favorite but he looked weak nowhere close to Uncle Iroh. That said these villains are way better then what we got before.
    So? That just means he's nowhere near Uncle Iroh. Most aren't.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Iroh at least trained during his imprisonment. I don't remember seeing him fight much before that.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Check out my signature.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

On that note, I have to admit I dig the warrior philosopher thing Zaheer has going on.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Mighty Member

given that Zuko loses 2 out of 3 fights (or settles for a draw) in the original series I don't mind him losing his first fight. besides, the bad guys are getting hyped up for the first couple of rounds.

what WOULD bother me is if he decides to give up, or decides to take the easy way out. Zuko has been shown to fail over and over again-- but to never give up in spite of impossible odds. he's demonstrated that he's observant and resourceful, that he cares about people, that he can learn to understand where people are coming from: even his enemies.

Korra standing up for Opal is a good sign. Korra confronting Lin Bei Fong without being needlessly antagonistic is also nice. sure, Lin's not looking too good right now, but you get the feeling that she's been legitimately wounded by her half-sister somehow.

I'm hoping Zuko has an important role to play besides fan-service. he was the most complex and dynamic character from the original series. hopefully, as Iroh did in Season 2, Zuko can help Korra evolve into a more mature and resourceful person. the idea that friendships can cross over into multiple lifetimes in the original series would be nice to revisit here. I'd really like to see how Zuko and Tenzin interact. I'd also like to see Zuko's daughter (and find out what happened to Mai, Ty Lee, and Suki)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    On that note, I have to admit I dig the warrior philosopher thing Zaheer has going on.
    Yeah so far I'm really digging him and his crew. A definite step up from the villains we got in season two.

BANNED

Problem is even Zuko in the original series as a teenager looks better then the team Korra usually drags around. So its going to look like terrible jobbing when Officer Gary Stu shows up and hands one of these bad guys their behind.

Mighty Member

Bolin just delivered the BEST SUMMARY EVER! I loved it!

Zaheer and crew are making definate good impressions here. I'm loving the sense of mystery behind their true goals. They want the Avatar, but no one knows why. On top of that, all of them are extremely loyal to each other. Zaheer must have one hell of a vision to inspire that much loyalty.

I like Su, but at the same time, I am getting a bad vibe from her. For one thing, Lin despises her. Lin's hatred may be irrational, because Su actually did round on her and ask her point blank what her problem with her was. Then again, Lin backed down. Lin never backs down. Why this time? Is it because she's afraid of Su? We've seen some solid steel behind that smiling face of Su, both in her yelling at Lin and her criticism of the Earth Queen. There's also the need of Su to use a truthseer on guests and, by Su's own admission, her citizens. Why is this necessary? Her statement of her city being the safest in the world might be simple boasting, or it could be that she uses her truthseer to clamp down on any who questions her running of the city. Finally, she hired Varrick. Ok, Varrick is slick enough to talk just about anyone into harboring him, but in Su's case, I don't think he had to. Everything about Su seems to be a little bit too perfect.

Or Lin could just be a bitter old woman whom yells even at the most adorable of nieces and hates Su for being such a success. I don't think this is the case though. Lin is Ms. Cranky Pants, but she also can be pretty reasonable when someone approaches her in the manner Opal did. The fact that she snapped at Opal instead has me thinking Lin is scared of Su for some reason and doesn't want Su to hurt Opal because she tried to get to know her aunt.

And yes, Opal is super adorable.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Problem is even Zuko in the original series as a teenager looks better then the team Korra usually drags around. So its going to look like terrible jobbing when Officer Gary Stu shows up and hands one of these bad guys their behind.
    So you're complaining about something that hasn't even happened yet? Preemptive cynicism... only on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Bolin just delivered the BEST SUMMARY EVER! I loved it!

Zaheer and crew are making definate good impressions here. I'm loving the sense of mystery behind their true goals. They want the Avatar, but no one knows why. On top of that, all of them are extremely loyal to each other. Zaheer must have one hell of a vision to inspire that much loyalty.

I like Su, but at the same time, I am getting a bad vibe from her. For one thing, Lin despises her. Lin's hatred may be irrational, because Su actually did round on her and ask her point blank what her problem with her was. Then again, Lin backed down. Lin never backs down. Why this time? Is it because she's afraid of Su? We've seen some solid steel behind that smiling face of Su, both in her yelling at Lin and her criticism of the Earth Queen. There's also the need of Su to use a truthseer on guests and, by Su's own admission, her citizens. Why is this necessary? Her statement of her city being the safest in the world might be simple boasting, or it could be that she uses her truthseer to clamp down on any who questions her running of the city. Finally, she hired Varrick. Ok, Varrick is slick enough to talk just about anyone into harboring him, but in Su's case, I don't think he had to. Everything about Su seems to be a little bit too perfect.

Or Lin could just be a bitter old woman whom yells even at the most adorable of nieces and hates Su for being such a success. I don't think this is the case though. Lin is Ms. Cranky Pants, but she also can be pretty reasonable when someone approaches her in the manner Opal did. The fact that she snapped at Opal instead has me thinking Lin is scared of Su for some reason and doesn't want Su to hurt Opal because she tried to get to know her aunt.

And yes, Opal is super adorable.
    Yeah the truthseer guy definitely set off some bells in my head that not everything is quite right in this metal city. Also I wonder just how involved Toph was in this city and if she's the one that taught him his "truth seeing" ability, or maybe she taught it to Lin and Su and Su taught it to him. Then again that ability and metalbending go hand in hand so most metalbenders should be somewhat capable of doing that.

Thoughts: Zuko didn't job. Night and cold work against firebenders, never mind adding the age thing, and his former fights didn't have him super unbeatable to begin with.
    Zaheer is a little too good at bending for only having it a couple weeks or so. Even with the 'I know air nomad culture' thing.
    Lin came across kind of mean, though I still like her.
    Opal is adorable, like a puppy. How can you hate a puppy?
    And I still love Varrick, amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Zaheer is a little too good at bending for only having it a couple weeks or so. Even with the 'I know air nomad culture' thing.
    On this, keep in mind Aang's fan club (which would later become the air acolytes) were already practicing and allegedgly mastering Air Bending Forms and that was before Aang started teaching them.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Plus with Zuko the world has been at relative peace for a while now so his skills would have naturally fell off some.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    On this, keep in mind Aang's fan club (which would later become the air acolytes) were already practicing and allegedgly mastering Air Bending Forms and that was before Aang started teaching them.
    I don't remember this episode, which one was that?

Extraordinary Member

Episode 4:
    - Zaheer and crew are totally badass. They may be my favourite villains in the Avatar-verse so far. Really looking forward to their back stories.
    - I don't mind that Zuko seemed unstoppable. That's never been his thing and Zaheer & co didn't exactly stay for a whole fight. They retreated, even though they had the upper hand.
    - Kai has instantly become more likeable with this episode. What a difference some humble pie makes.
    - I enjoyed how the training the air-benders got came back to bite the Dai Li in the ass.
    - Korra is really stepping up her character game. She's making rational decisions, acting heroic without looking foolish while still being hard-headed and heavy hitting.

Episode 5:
    - VERY interesting episode. We got to know some tidbits about Toph's family life and senior years without too much being revealed.
    - There is totally something off about Su and her family. But it's probably not evil or anything like that. Just family-splitting stuff. Though Lin is really being and asshole about whatever it was. Maybe she has a good reason or maybe she's just being a jerk or maybe it's a mix.
    - Considering how much we've been introduced to Su's family, kids are named and have personalities, I'm fearing that the whole city's going to be devastated once Zaheer shows up.
    - Kya is freaking awesome! Not only did do better against the season's big bad than anyone else has so far but she actually saw through his deception pretty quickly. Good on her.
    - A wild Varrick appears! ...a bit sudden but the man is always welcome.
    Last edited by Dark Soul # 7; 07-14-2014 at 03:08 PM.