Page 51 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Bandits that were using the latest in technology, which season 1 should is a great way for normal people with skills to level the playing field in dealing with benders.

I feel like I've seen this movie before. Oh yeah, this is pretty much the exact scenario of "The Phantom Menace", two Jedi sent to Naboo to try and end the blockade, whom have to retreat to Naboo when faced with tech superior to their skills. In the Jedi's case, it was droidikas. In the air bender's case, it was a bi-plane that is far faster than even a sky bison.

And considering the owned Jedi in question are the great Qui-Gon Jinn and a soon to be great Obi-Wan Kenobi, it's not such a big insult that Kai and Opal failed in their mission either against superior tech.

So, yeah, the air benders as Jedi comparison still works. Or as you like to put it, "You're wrong".

There was absolutely nothing at all indicating that Korra was in Republic City. That was nothing more than your assumption. If this were a pro-bending match in the pro-bending arena in Republic City, you'd have a point. It isn't and you don't. All we know is that Korra is someplace other than where she is supposed to be. Nothing more.
    1) Airplanes are not exactly guns. One bandit comes along, wielding some kind of dual-blade, and kicks Kai's ass. No advanced technology for that feat. He wasn't exactly dogfighting Kai in that airplane.

2) As I mentioned before, fighting armies is not comparable to peace-keeping. One non-bender mook with a blade is not comparable to advanced killing droids. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan didn't just flee because there were droidekas, they fled because back-up was on its way, and even they can't fight a goddamn army on their own. One mecha-tank is comparable to a droideka, if we're considering the powers of benders vs. the powers of Jedi.

3) I really recommend that you watch the clip above your comment. Sure looks an awful lot like Republic City to me.

Earth Kingdom? "That was nothing more than your assumption".
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    1) Airplanes are not exactly guns. One bandit comes along, wielding some kind of dual-blade, and kicks Kai's ass. No advanced technology for that feat. He wasn't exactly dogfighting Kai in that airplane.
    The bandit kicked Kai's butt because he had an advantage. Kai tried knocking him off his sky bison, but the line from the bi-plane allowed him to swing back and complete the mission. Kai also didn't have space to manuveur. An air bender without room to move is at a disadvantage.

Point blank, when one prepares for the enemy's tactics, as the bandits clearly did here, one usually wins.

2) As I mentioned before, fighting armies is not comparable to peace-keeping. One non-bender mook with a blade is not comparable to advanced killing droids.
    But one non-bending mook with the tools to circumvent an air bender's powers is comparable to droids with shields to absorb deflected laser fire. Basically, the bandit had a line to prevent being blown off the sky bison and an air bender forced to fight on limited space. A dual blade is an advantage in that case.

And benders can be defeated by skilled non-benders, as Ty Lee, Sokka, the Kyoshi Warriors, the Yu Yan archers, Mai, Jet, Jet's entire crew, and the Lieutenant proved. Kai and Opal have nothing to be ashamed of. They were ambushed by bandits prepared for their abilities.

Earth Kingdom? "That was nothing more than your assumption".
    I do believe that Korra is somewhere in the Earth Kingdom because it makes sense if one wants to make sure she avoids any attention. Even if it Republic City though, she can still hide pretty easily without much effort. All she has to do is avoid the areas of town that her friends live in. Republic City is a very large city and most people would simply buy into Korra's blunt explanation of resembling the Avatar without too many questions because they simply would not care, especially in the skeevy areas where asking too many questions is akin to asking for trouble.

Huh, so that's what happened.

Really the one time we needed the White Lotus to be watching her every step of the way.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Yeah today's episode was freaking nuts. But in a good way of course. Now it really seems we're caught up with what's going on and can move to the next step.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The second episode was very good. Was that a homage to the big toe scene in Kill Bill? I think the aspect of Korra having to deal with PTSD pretty interesting. I got the feeling that she's somehow meant to merge with the version of herself in the avatar state that's haunting her. Love the ending and am really happy to see Toph return!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

nice to see korra didnt spend all 3 years in underground bending arenas. its interesting to see the struggle she's going through which will make her true return all the better.

and awesome to see our favorite blind bandit, still as cheeky as ever.

I think I love this episode more than the premiere. You get to see Korra struggle (which isn't that new of a concept for her) with her inner demons and what not. Was nice to see her go back to that tree and chat up a couple of spirits.

Pretty sure Creepy Avatar Korra is Raava trying to establish a connection. Or maybe some amalgamation of the previous avatars she lost, also trying to re-establish a connection.

Also, I went "awww" when she wrote back only to Asami. I thought that was very sweet. Can't wait to see them reunite.

Seeing Toph again is awesome. Hopefully they do something with her, that doesn't end up overshadowing the rest of Korra's supporting cast.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing as far as the avatar Korra. The chain is the symbol of the two being tied together. It seems to me that Korra not matter what she says is afraid to rejoin with Raava and truly become the avatar again after being almost killed and ending the avatar line forever.

BANNED

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS EPISODE!!!!!!!!!

It makes sense that the tree didn't work. She's blocked like Aang was after Azula killed him. What made this episode great was the heavy female connections in this episode, from Korra's mom checking on her and getting her to go to Katara to Katara teaching her to walk to Korrasami to finding Toph. Korra lost her connection to her fighting self, to the part that is whole and alive. She's like a corpse and this episode confirmed it. Hearing Toph say Twinkle Toes was a happy dance moment.

o

Extraordinary Member

Yeay, the flashback episode that I wanted.

The writing on this show is so good. Some of the best introspective character moments Korra's had are in this latest episode and I can't wait to see more. And I agree that it's a relief to find out that Korra's hasn't been taking out her frustrations in underground bending for the last six months.

The avatar ghost is a fun concept. It's clear what it is connected to but what its intentions are is a bit up in the air and I like that.

The final reveal is great. But I think that it would've been even more squee-inducing if they hadn't shown that Korra was gonna meet Toph in the trailer.

BANNED

Oh man, Toph's voice actor does an excellent job capturing her signature wit in an older form. And you just know she's gonna crack out the earthbending just as agilely as she used to.

Astonishing Member

This was kind of boring until Toph showed up. I'm way more interested in the Earth Kingdom politics than Korra.

BANNED

Great ep. Kinda wish they hadn't already spoiled Toph was going to show up in the trailer though.

Oh, Aang...

BANNED

I'm a grown man with kids of my own, and I teared up a bit at the mere sight of Toph. She's become Yoda....

Great episode.

My personal favorite moment when I lost it?

This.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Puppy Spirit. That is all.