Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Kuvira isn't quite as theatrical as Ozai when it comes to grand political gestures. It was a little quick, but I guess that's how it would go in RL too.

So, I did some digging. Jessie Flower is not reprising herbrole as Toph (though she was young Su in the flashback last season). That would be either Kate Higgins or Philece Sampler (the other must be adult Toph from the season one flashback). Clearly she did her research.

It does make sense they wouldn't bring the original back; an eleven yearnold can play a fine twelve year old but a twenty year old is a bit of a stretch for an 80 year old.

Incredible Member Reverse Happy's Avatar

All of Eska's lines were gold

Edit: Also lol'd at Bolin's "She's just like Korra!" and Mako's face when.
    Last edited by Reverse Happy; 10-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I have a theory about all the antagonists in T.L.O.K. They all represent various philosophies.

Amon: Communism. (A philosophy that promises equality but is ultimately weakened by the hypocrisy and corruption of its leaders)

Unalaq: Religious fundamentalism. (He strives to take the world back to some idealized version of reality.)

Zaheer: Anarchism (He wants to do away with pretty much all forms of government)

Kuvira: Fascism, maybe.

Also did anyone else think that the creators were implying some kind of incestuous relationship between Desna and Eska when Eska answered the hotel attendants "One bed" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    In my mind it goes something like this:

"We're teenagers now. Can you please stop calling me that?"

"Not a chance."

"We're on our twenties now. Can you please stop calling me that?"

"Nope."

"We're on our fifties now. Can you-"

"Hell no."

"You're never going to stop are you?"

"And there's that fabled Avatar wisdom."
    I guess the difference is that I don't find that endearing in the least. There's a certain amount of jackassery you can get away with as a kid 'cause you're, y'know, a kid but as you mature and presumably become less sociopathic as you gain a sense of empathy it becomes significantly less acceptable. Pushing someone's buttons just for the sake of it is funny as a kid but past a certain age it's douchey.

In other words: Calling Aang by a childhood nickname = cute if he's okay with it. But if he's not okay with it, then you're being a jerk and should stop. Or at the least I wouldn't treat my friends that way.

(I dunno, maybe it's part of Toph's deal that she never matured. Again, if that's supposed to be the case I don't particularly care for it but I'm probably in the minority.)

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I know that some people have this idea that people's personalities change dramatically as they grow older. but I've found that this is rarely the case. if anything, people become even MORE like themselves as they get older. their attributes become more pronounced. if somebody is prone to being greedy and a hoarder-- this doesn't just go away as they get older. now, some people, as they mature, might find ways to focus that attribute. they might pick up a hobby like collecting vinyl LPs or out-of-print books. it's not that the trait has disappeared-- they've allowed themselves to focus it into a specific and limited range of their activities. this helps make them more 'functional' and 'socialized' adults.

it's easier for me to believe that old Toph is very much like her 12 year-old self. most of the people I've known over the last 20 years aren't more serious or significantly different people-- but they're more comfortable in their own skin and less likely to put up a show for the benefit of others. in this respect there wasn't really anywhere else that Toph's character could realistically go! Toph was so utterly comfortable in her own skin that she wouldn't be all that different.

I've seen this argument applied to other shows (namely Buffy) where characters are transformed to the point where they are barely recognizable. this was allegedly done to show that they had matured. but mostly what it showed is that when Joss Whedon left the show a core aspect of what made his characters on Buffy so entertaining had been removed. his lack of influence was really obvious. just because characters mature and get older does NOT necessarily mean that they lose all of the elements that defined them in the first place.

I wish I could source this stuff-- but I can't. I helped a visually impaired guy get his masters in education 20 years ago. helping him research how people get old, and how they do and do not change, was pretty interesting. I also heard a psychologist/therapist on NPR explain that the idea that people change significant as they get older had been disproven. to use another example. if somebody takes the MBTI test and shows up as an ESFP when they're 15 years old they're probably gonna get the same test result when their 30 and 45. (this has been true of all of my close friends and family. the test results didn't change just because they became more mature!)

all of that is to say that I like sassy old Toph. I also thinks that what they've done with her makes sense. (it's a little over the top, but I can live with that)
    Well, sure. I'm not arguing that I would have liked to see these characters change on a fundamental level, but using your hoarder analogy -- if an elementary school kid starts out with bottle caps, I would expect them as adults to collect books or watches or old vinyl. I would not expect them to be in their forties and still holding on to bottle caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I guess the difference is that I don't find that endearing in the least. There's a certain amount of jackassery you can get away with as a kid 'cause you're, y'know, a kid but as you mature and presumably become less sociopathic as you gain a sense of empathy it becomes significantly less acceptable. Pushing someone's buttons just for the sake of it is funny as a kid but past a certain age it's douchey.

In other words: Calling Aang by a childhood nickname = cute if he's okay with it. But if he's not okay with it, then you're being a jerk and should stop. Or at the least I wouldn't treat my friends that way.

(I dunno, maybe it's part of Toph's deal that she never matured. Again, if that's supposed to be the case I don't particularly care for it but I'm probably in the minority.)
    Meh, in my opinion you're looking too much into it.

She and Aang have the type of relationship that allows them to take certain liberties with each other.

Sure, Aang complains about it, but that's their thing.

I would not expect them to be in their forties and still holding on to bottle caps.
    Apologize!

Apologize to all bottle cap collectors in the world!
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Finally things are starting to get interesting! I was surprised that Korra still had metal in her system, which explains why she sucks fighting lately. I also loved how Kuivera took control of the Earth kingdom, stealing the power from the rightful are to the thrown. Although I loved Zaheer the best out of the LOK villains, I'm starting to like Kuivera because she's like Dr. Doom. Not only is she trying to take power for powers sake, but because she truly believes she's doing the right thing. Also I loved how Toph hasn't changed a bit personality wise. "If I was in my prime I would destroy you!". LOL.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post

I'm in the minority with you. As a kid? Cute-ish. As an adult? Tiring. I say tiring because even though she's only been featured in one episode, I foresee her involvement stretching far more (possibly to the finale.) Speaking of the finale, people are already clamoring for Toph to school Kuvira in metalbending. That's not a bad thing, but it definitely annoys me that the only thing most expect out of this show are the old characters solving the problems (and reuniting with their fellow old characters) of the newer characters.

I've also noticed how some have analyzed the episode saying that Korra needs to learn how to accept help, and that she needs to be knocked down a peg. It's odd, because she's needed help in every major battle and has certainly been knocked down several pegs. Weird how the show is basically trying to tell us how much she has to learn (which she does) by showing us that she needs to do what she's been doing from the very beginning. Thinking about how confusing that is makes my head hurt. xD

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Meh, in my opinion you're looking too much into it.

She and Aang have the type of relationship that allows them to take certain liberties with each other.

Sure, Aang complains about it, but that's their thing.
    This is the Internet. If we don;t spend too much time looking into things then what good is it for?

And I don't know that Aang and Toph have that kind of relationship. Usually for that sort of friendship they'd both give each other **** but I can't quite see Aang doing that to Toph, which makes it very one-sided.
    Anecdotally, I have a friend like that -- in most of our group we make fun of each other and rip on each other, but one of us seems uncomfortable when we do it to him and never reciprocates (never does it to us) so it's an unspoken agreement that we don't do that to him and he doesn't do that to us. Doesn't make him any less a part of the group or anything.

Apologize!

Apologize to all bottle cap collectors in the world!
    nevAr!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I'm in the minority with you. As a kid? Cute-ish. As an adult? Tiring. I say tiring because even though she's only been featured in one episode, I foresee her involvement stretching far more (possibly to the finale.) Speaking of the finale, people are already clamoring for Toph to school Kuvira in metalbending. That's not a bad thing, but it definitely annoys me that the only thing most expect out of this show are the old characters solving the problems (and reuniting with their fellow old characters) of the newer characters.

I've also noticed how some have analyzed the episode saying that Korra needs to learn how to accept help, and that she needs to be knocked down a peg. It's odd, because she's needed help in every major battle and has certainly been knocked down several pegs. Weird how the show is basically trying to tell us how much she has to learn (which she does) by showing us that she needs to do what she's been doing from the very beginning. Thinking about how confusing that is makes my head hurt. xD
    That seems rather odd to me, since she HAS been accepting help for this for quite a while. Wasn't that the whole point of Katara trying to heal her?

Ultimate Member

Ya know, it occurs to me that Kuvira's interest in that spirit vine might be in intelligence gathering. In the swamp, Toph boasted that she could feel everything through the vines, up to and including her children. What if Kuvira found a way to do the same?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ya know, it occurs to me that Kuvira's interest in that spirit vine might be in intelligence gathering. In the swamp, Toph boasted that she could feel everything through the vines, up to and including her children. What if Kuvira found a way to do the same?
    I assumed they would be weaponising "spirit energy" somehow.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    seems likely. using the spirit vines to gather intell sounds like a good start.

yeah, I think we're going to have another possible showdown built around Republic City. it seems like it's been too long. maybe Kuvira will decide that in order for the Earth Kingdom to be truly united all of the former colonies and Republic City have to be annexed/conquered in the name of the Earth Kingdom.

at this rate, it would be the only reason why we might see the new firelord. (and hopefully she's awesome)
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 10-21-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Favourite Avatar villain so far?

1. Sozin.

2. Amon.

3. Unalaq.

4. Zaheer.

5. Vaatu.

6. Zhao.

7. Azula.

8. Kuvira.

So far, for me, I automatically gravitate towards Amon. His design, his voice, his story, his mannerism, his power, his threat...just SOLID.

Most others fairly good too, or magnetic, charismatic, scary, powerful.

But, #1 for me is him.

1. Amon.

2. Vaatu - embodiment of darkness, deep, attractive voice. Cool design and epic battles, against Vaatu, Korra, Wan.

3. Zaheer - the Joker principle: chaos. Anarchy. Beautiful madness.
    Last edited by Crimson Knight; 10-21-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The Korra game came out today. So far reviews aren't as kind as many (Including myself) expected but it's still on my list.

That is to say professional reviews on Games sites anyway. The user reviews on STEAM are pretty much universally positive.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 10-21-2014 at 08:29 PM.

BANNED

Azula 7th?

Sry Crimson Knight gotta hand in ur fan card.

Good point on Republic City it is on Earth Kingdom land.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Azula 7th?

Sry Crimson Knight gotta hand in ur fan card.

Good point on Republic City it is on Earth Kingdom land.
    No no, my personal rankings are at the bottom - 1. 2. 3. Then, 1-8 or so would be the options of favourites.