Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1633

Season four turned out pretty well. Even though the finale didn't necessarily feel like a series finale, not one bigger than the other finales anyway, it certainly hit a lot of the right notes. Hiroshi's death and Varrick and Zhu Li doing the thing being two of the big ones. I even thought Mako was a goner for a second here. I feel like some of the bigger events overshadowed Korra and Asami getting together simply because we only had the implication of their pairing rather than something big and grand. I thought everything involving Korra and Kuvira was great on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Man, is everybody on TV bisexual these days?
    Not everyone, only the women.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    as a contrast-- I think Korra's confrontation with Kuvira felt satisfying. Kuvira was, in many ways, an evil doppleganger of Korra in Seasons 1-3. Kuvira's determination, her moral compass being purely "us vs them", her demanding people respect her and her desires or face the consequences seems very much like Korra early on in the series. when Korra declares that she and Kuvira are very much alike it seems plausible. it also shows that Korra is growing as a moral human being that she can see this much. I liked that.
    Well said. I would've loved to see the parallels between them developed even further. Would there have been room for more Kuvira last season? We know she was there. She and Korra could've shared more screentime until the battle against Zaheer changes Korra, making her into a more contemplative Avatar while Kuvira goes even further to consolidate her power.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    There were hints that Korra and Asami's bond was growing stronger during Book 3, but I think their feelings only became something more between Book 3 and Book 4. Their first interaction after seeing each other again after 3 years was a clear indication that something changed. You'd have to be blind to miss Korra's blush, and even Mako picked up on something between them. What else did people want?
    Yes this is a NickToon, but there's certainly a lot more they could've given us.

I was mostly against the idea of Korrasami for a couple reasons. First and foremost I didn't like the strong female warrior has to be a lesbian thing (as we've seen with Xena and even Mulan to an extent on OUaT), but it was clear that Korra's bond was strongest with Asami and, really, by the end of the series the only guys she could've been paired with were either General Iroh (who she hardly interacted with) or Prince Wu (and, frankly, that would be embarrassing for her). However, seeing an actual transition from friendship into something more would've made for a great story. Did Korra have doubts that Asami didn't return her feelings? She's brave in the face of death, but could she be brave enough to risk losing Asami as a friend? How does Korra see herself? Is she afraid her family and friends wouldn't approve? So much story potential we would never have been given.

Spectacular Member

She actually didn't. I mean, I guess you could say that being too nice is a character flaw, but it's really not.
    She does flip her hair a lot.
    As Bryke mentioned in his statement Asami was originally intended to be a villain, an Equalist spy, using Mako to get Korra(which actually in a way what happened!) but then they liked her so much they made her a good guy. Her design, with the glamorous long hair and makeup does fit a more sultry, femme fatale-type.

That definitely would have made Mako less of a jerk to people if it turned out Asami was evil and using him. Would have solved that love triangle right up!

I like Asami but can't argue with people when they say her personality's not as interesting or colorful say as other ATLA/LOK characters like Toph or somebody. Normally a character that beautiful and seemingly perfect usually is hated but I think fans really started to like her at a certain scene in book 1, episode 10, which is recreated at a cast read at the Korra panel at the 2012 SDCC. Go to 10:27 of this video:

Last edited by IfThisBemyDestiny; 12-29-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Hopefully we'll eventually get some continuation via comics, I for one want some Spirit World vacation stuff.
    Agreed although I do wonder what the licensing agreement is and if the same issues that exist for the show would exist in the comics?

Because on the one hand, if it's primarily an issue with overseas markets/the intended audience, then they might have no issue with a same-sex romance, since the comics market is different and has a different target audience. I'm reminded of Gargoyles, a kids show in the mid-90s that had a short-lived licensed comic about 10 years later that I'm pretty sure included the revelation that one of the supporting characters was gay, so it might not be an issue. Then again, that was 10 years later in a series actively aimed at now-adult fans. I don't know how Nickelodeon views the DH Avatar series.

I wish I knew more about how this stuff worked...

I'd love to see Korra continuation comics (the Avatar ones have been so good) but I think I'd rather not see them then have them and see them dance around this issue.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I was mostly against the idea of Korrasami for a couple reasons. First and foremost I didn't like the strong female warrior has to be a lesbian thing (as we've seen with Xena and even Mulan to an extent on OUaT), but it was clear that Korra's bond was strongest with Asami and, really, by the end of the series the only guys she could've been paired with were either General Iroh (who she hardly interacted with) or Prince Wu (and, frankly, that would be embarrassing for her). However, seeing an actual transition from friendship into something more would've made for a great story. Did Korra have doubts that Asami didn't return her feelings? She's brave in the face of death, but could she be brave enough to risk losing Asami as a friend? How does Korra see herself? Is she afraid her family and friends wouldn't approve? So much story potential we would never have been given.
    I think the problem is that the decision sits right at the nexus of a TON of different problems relating to gender, orientation and sexualisation so literally anything they do is going to be playing into some sort of stereotype?

Like, there's a legitimate problem with our media sexualising platonic friendship. There's a legitimate problem with our being more comfortable with homosexuality between women than homosexuality between men. There's a legitimate problem with promoting the idea that "masculine" women must be lesbians. There's a legitimate problem with erasing bisexuality. There's a legitimate problem with romantic interactions between women being devalued or dismissed as purely platonic. There's a legitimate problem with "queer-baiting". There's a legitimate problem with the fact that we never have queer heroes - like, as main characters.

I mean, people talk about how "everyone" is gay now, but I think it's just because it's so unusual the very few examples stand out. Xena I'll definitely give you but that was almost 20 years ago. Mulan on OUAT is a minor supporting character who hasn't been seen in about a year and a half. The only other one I can think of right now is that Succubus on that Canadian show? But then that's interesting too, because her sexuality was very clear from the start (which is a cool thing that show did), but I think that having a character who just "happens" to fall in love with someone of the same gender is important in a different sort of way?

So I honestly think Korra being bisexual is actually a pretty...enormous deal in the modern TV landscape in general, not "just" in kids animation?

But you're right, it's imperfect. Because all that stuff you wanted to see? That's stuff we should have gotten to see.

The way it was ultimately portrayed on screen reminds you why it's a really important moment in television because of all the things it's not allowed to do and can't show. Because of all the story potential we're not allowed to have.

It's complicated. Makes me feel thrilled and sad all at once, you know?

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

While ATLA did have some filler, LoK could have greatly benefited from some more episodes to flesh out the characters and relationships more. It is kind of sad there are no plans for another show set in this world for the time being. And if I'm honest, I'm still disappointed the connection to the past Avatars wasn't restored. I suppose it's to thematically let Korra start over and part of her arc, or potentially stories for comics down the line, but man, it's such a loss. I also selfishly wanted to see more adult Aang. Ah, well.

Quote Originally Posted by IfThisBemyDestiny View Post
    As Bryke mentioned in his statement Asami was originally intended to be a villain, an Equalist spy, using Mako to get Korra(which actually in a way what happened!) but then they liked her so much they made her a good guy. Her design, with the glamorous long hair and makeup does fit a more sultry, femme fatale-type.
    I was just about to say that. Crazy how that all worked out. ^_^

Something crazy I also noticed. In both LoK and ATLA the endgame love interest of the Avatar has three syllables in their name. Katara = three. Asami= three. A coincidence, but still cool.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Spectacular Member

While ATLA did have some filler, LoK could have greatly benefited from some more episodes to flesh out the characters and relationships more. It is kind of sad there are no plans for another show set in this world for the time being. And if I'm honest, I'm still disappointed the connection to the past Avatars wasn't restored. I suppose it's to thematically let Korra start over and part of her arc, or potentially stories for comics down the line, but man, it's such a loss. I also selfishly wanted to see more adult Aang. Ah, well.
    They gave the reason in an interview a few months ago:

Did it sadden you to say goodbye to some of the 'Avatar' history when Korra severed the link to her past lives?

BK: Not at all! I thought it was a good limitation for her. Not that we thought people would be happy about it, but that was another one where I wasn’t anticipating such an emotional response from people. We didn’t do it to troll anything, but I liked that limitation for her. When you have a fully-realized Avatar, it’s like Superman, and how do you make that interesting?

Ultimate Member

When you have a fully-realized Avatar, it’s like Superman, and how do you make that interesting?

Make enemies that are the equal to Superman?

Honestly, I'm baffled how the enemy in this equation is the past lives, and not the Avatar state. Korra was just as powerful without the past lives, and any lost combat ability went unnoticed. I think a better solution would have been to make it harder to communicate with her past lives, instead of being able to dial them up like she was on a cellphone plan.

I liked this series, but damned if it wasn't uneven every season. Don't even ge me started on Lin...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    When you have a fully-realized Avatar, it’s like Superman, and how do you make that interesting?

Make enemies that are the equal to Superman?

Honestly, I'm baffled how the enemy in this equation is the past lives, and not the Avatar state. Korra was just as powerful without the past lives, and any lost combat ability went unnoticed. I think a better solution would have been to make it harder to communicate with her past lives, instead of being able to dial them up like she was on a cellphone plan.

I liked this series, but damned if it wasn't uneven every season. Don't even ge me started on Lin...

wait, they really compared the Avatar past lives to Superman? that's so lazy and ridiculous. the Golden Age Superman stories were some of the most entertaining comics I've ever read!

actually, the past lives were a great source of story material in ATLA. sometimes they provided Aang with wisdom... but frequently they created even more conflict for Aang because nobody would tell him what they wanted him to hear! sometimes speaking with past Avatars would help Aang get insight into a situation that nobody else would have seen. this is especially true of "the Avatar and the Fire Lord". it was great because we, as the viewer, could really start seeing how Aang and Zuko were practically destined to work together to help save the world. but it was fun because neither one of them realized it yet.

maybe the REAL reason they got rid of the past lives for Korra is because they knew that Korra wasn't really the sort of person to take people's advice! heck, she ignored most of the advice and teaching given to her by Tenzin and Tonraq-- why would she pay attention to dead avatars?

I honestly think that they realized that Korra is sorta bland and unlikeable to a lot of viewers. she seems like a nearly classic case of writing a female character as if she were an irrational/emotional man. a lot of the great female characters in ATLA felt like real female characters: they don't think the way the other male characters do. this didn't mean that they were irrational or emotional-- it meant that they had a different set of priorities and thought about different sorts of things. a great example is when Katara suggests that if the Fire Nation KNEW about the Day of Black Sun invasion that they should retreat so that they can cut their losses and keep everybody safe. all of the guys veto this idea because they believe a fighting chance is worth it-- even if it's a long shot.

if Korra (and the audience) have access to past avatars it she might always come up short when compared to the others. she's made so many terrible and hard to justify decisions-- that severing her connection the past avatars is a sort of excuse: "she doesn't have access to the wisdome of previous avatars so OF COURSE she'll make mistakes!"

except this shouldn't be used as an excuse for writing her like an idiot. although it sometimes they used it that way.

I saw the ending of the series as two friends going on a trip together. I didn't realize that it was implying that they had a relationship until I went online.
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

Why Netflix would be the best place for Avatar to stay in the future.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...w-avatar-show/

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Yeah, after reading their explanation, getting rid of the past lives seems like even more of a blunder. There are other ways to reduce Korra's power as others have said; block her access to them, make her have to reconnect, etc. They lost so much cool history and story potential by severing the connection, though I suppose they could find a way to reconnect easily enough if they ever wanted to.

Extraordinary Member

And throughout season 2 she already seemed much weaker than Aang, with her feats in the Avatar State being less impressive than Aang's feats were without it. Then without any avatar spirit at all she turns into a Kaiju? That is the opposite of 'reducing her power.' By that logic not only Korra, but every character who can meditate, should be able to turn into a Kaiju.

I'm pretty sure she was able to make the laser shooting blue avatar of an avatar because she was meditating inside a plot device tree if I remember correctly, not because of some innate ability.