Fantastic Member

Default Aquaman vs Hawkman

New 52 Arthur vs New 52 Carter
    No BFR
    No Telepathy
    Arthur has his Trident and Carter has his Mace

Astonishing Member

NO telepathy - darn, I wanted to see an attack of the Flying Sea Horses like happened against Starro in Robot Chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpmoBLvIko

As an aside - no this, no that, speed equalized, no underpants - why bother to have fights if you take away core characteristics.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    NO telepathy - darn, I wanted to see an attack of the Flying Sea Horses like happened against Starro in Robot Chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpmoBLvIko

As an aside - no this, no that, speed equalized, no underpants - why bother to have fights if you take away core characteristics.
    Eh, I wouldn't call Telepathy a core characteristic of Aquaman's, except with regards to fish, and neither character in this fight is especially capable of BFR.

Astonishing Member

Disagree, from the get go - fish telepathy was core. Then it was played up for other critters to give him something to do. Otherwise, you just a brick who lives in the water with some magic gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Disagree, from the get go - fish telepathy was core. Then it was played up for other critters to give him something to do. Otherwise, you just a brick who lives in the water with some magic gadgets.
    I noted that *fish* telepathy was a core power. The non-fish telepathy is a kinda tacked on thing to make him feel like less of an agent when compared to Superman by making him feel like an afterthought compared to Martian Manhunter.

Are Thanagarians descended from fish, in any case?

Biiiiiiiiiirds.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

At least on Earth, biiiiiiiiirds are descended from fiiiiiiish.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    At least on Earth, biiiiiiiiirds are descended from fiiiiiiish.
    Nah. These are space biiiiiiiirds.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

If it worked on a White Martian, Shouldn't it work on a Thanagarian?

Spectacular Member

Aquaman's telepathy doesn't limit itself to fish, it works on sealife. It's like the difference between the Web and the Internet. If Thangarian's have ancestors who evolved in the sea then they have brain structures that are vulnerable to Aquaman's TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanrage View Post
    Aquaman's telepathy doesn't limit itself to fish, it works on sealife. It's like the difference between the Web and the Internet. If Thangarian's have ancestors who evolved in the sea then they have brain structures that are vulnerable to Aquaman's TP.
    Basically what I'm saying, albeit reductively.

Martians apparently evolved from sealife. Is there any proof that Thanagarians evolved from sea life as well, or has Aquaman ever successfully used that power on one before?

Mighty Member

I know he used it on a Thanagarian in the Timmverse, but not sure about the actual DCU or the DCnU.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Basically what I'm saying, albeit reductively.

Martians apparently evolved from sealife. Is there any proof that Thanagarians evolved from sea life as well, or has Aquaman ever successfully used that power on one before?
    Honestly, given that Thanagarians close resemblance to Earth creatures (humans, birds, and reptiles) occam's razor would suggest life started in the sea for them just like Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Honestly, given that Thanagarians close resemblance to Earth creatures (humans, birds, and reptiles) occam's razor would suggest life started in the sea for them just like Earth.
    Occams Razor is a bit iffy when dealing with a reality that springs entirely out of other people's imaginations. It's not like they have any actual physical laws or principals of evolution as a basis for any other aspect of their reality.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Occams Razor is a bit iffy when dealing with a reality that springs entirely out of other people's imaginations. It's not like they have any actual physical laws or principals of evolution as a basis for any other aspect of their reality.
    Granted, but if Martians and Durlans are close enough for Aquaman to effect, I would be very suprised if Thanagarians don't. It isn't like Thanagar pumps out Kryptonian level beings or anything drastically different from Earth on a biological perspective. I'd assume they evolved in a similar manner barring counter examples. If it's established somewhere that life on Thanagar was designed by Celestial beings or something.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 10-22-2015 at 11:03 PM.