Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Star Wars VII: JJ Triumphant? Or JJ Terrified

Opinions of J.J. Abrams are irrelevant at this point; he has successfully whipped all but the utterly disinterested (or utterly oblivious) into a complete frenzy about the new Star Wars with nothing more than a handful of press releases and trailers.

Even the BBC, the very image of English-speaking journalistic professionalism is all but wetting themselves when reporting on the latest trailer debut.

JJ has CONQUERED! Or has he?

We won't really know until December. And the waiting is the thing. Some folk could handle it with ease, and some would be chewing holes in the insides of their cheeks.

So how do you think JJ's handling it? Is he curled into a fetal ball, dreading the first reviews? Or is he kicked-back, thinking, "**** it. Opening weekend will cover the budget. Mouth-breather fans will watch it repeatedly enough to cover profit. I can't lose!"?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Opinions of J.J. Abrams are irrelevant at this point; he has successfully whipped all but the utterly disinterested (or utterly oblivious) into a complete frenzy about the new Star Wars with nothing more than a handful of press releases and trailers.

Even the BBC, the very image of English-speaking journalistic professionalism is all but wetting themselves when reporting on the latest trailer debut.

JJ has CONQUERED! Or has he?

We won't really know until December. And the waiting is the thing. Some folk could handle it with ease, and some would be chewing holes in the insides of their cheeks.

So how do you think JJ's handling it? Is he curled into a fetal ball, dreading the first reviews? Or is he kicked-back, thinking, "**** it. Opening weekend will cover the budget. Mouth-breather fans will watch it repeatedly enough to cover profit. I can't lose!"?
    I just mentioned this on the trailer thread. MARKETING, a lot of money in marketing.
    JJ has nothing to do with it.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    I just mentioned this on the trailer thread. MARKETING, a lot of money in marketing.
    JJ has nothing to do with it.
    He's got something to do with it, but mostly, yeah, this is money being thrown around. That doesn't mean the fan frenzy isn't real, but these outlets are pumping it out and pumping it up because there's gold in them thar hills.

And, without Lando, I still don't care. I'm sure it'll be fine. It ought to be a good kids movie. When I see it, it'll probably be with kids. But, I haven't seen a whole trailer, yet, and I don't really care if i do. It's just another Abrams movie. Or, another Star Wars.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Boisterously Confused

Ah come on folks! Don't be intelligent about it. Get in the spirit!

Is Abrams puking in a loo with a case of the nerves? Or calmly, confidently waiting for the dough to roll?

BANNED

Hopefully he's writing Cloverfield 2

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Is Abrams puking in a loo with a case of the nerves? Or calmly, confidently waiting for the dough to roll?
    What's the worst that can happen to him? He makes a bad movie?

It's Star Wars. It'll make major bank anyway. Everyone goes home rich.

He makes a movie that kids love, adults not as much, and the kids grow up to act like they didn't love it as much as they did? Star Wars has been there and done that (lampooned in the last Princess Diaries book, even).

I'm not seeing that he has much to fear.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Empty is thy hand!

He'll be making truckloads of money, so I'm sure he doesn't care one way or the other how his movie's received. He'd have more on the line if he was tapped to do further episodes, but otherwise he can fuck off and retire into the lap of luxury if people hate this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    Hopefully he's writing Cloverfield 2
    I would be first in line to see that.

Fantastic Member

Cloverfield was awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    He's got something to do with it
    Given that most of the trailers consist of action scenes it think he has nothing to do with it.
    This is just Star Wars itself.
    These things can end up like the prequel or worst. We know almost nothing about the story.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Probably a bit of both It could still go badly but so far seems at least better than "Into Darkness" and probably better than "Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones" we'll see if it's also better than "Revenge of the Sith".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    What's the worst that can happen to him? He makes a bad movie?

It's Star Wars. It'll make major bank anyway. Everyone goes home rich.

He makes a movie that kids love, adults not as much, and the kids grow up to act like they didn't love it as much as they did? Star Wars has been there and done that (lampooned in the last Princess Diaries book, even).

I'm not seeing that he has much to fear.
    Exactly. This is as close to a sure thing, no lose proposition that any Hollywood director helming a big money/expectation-laden blockbuster will ever see.

Some of his "Abramisms" are present-the big lens flare when Ren is talking to Vader's helmet for instance.

I remember the film initially had some trouble even after the announcement and sale-Abrams was unsure about filming abroad, and some other disagreements such as the script (Which Michael Ardnt wrote a draft for, but Abrams and Kasdan ultiametly ended up writing).

A lot went wrong with Into Darkness's marketing-not only the whole Khan thing, but also there was this whole media promotion and merchandising Abrams wanted to do but couldn't because Paramount and CBS technically own different aspects of Star Trek. I think the "We're doing practical effects!" statement might not work in the their favor thing, it didn't help Indiana Jones, especially given Star Wars fans often knee-jerk reaction to anything CG (and even some of the stuff that wasn't).

Although the marketing has been very careful to avoid showing a lot of the old characters. Even Han Solo, who has appeared in the trailers and seems to have a fairly large part, doesn't have a new action figure yet.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-22-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This would have to be an absolutely AWFUL movie to avoid becoming the top-grossing film of all time.

But it would have to be an absolutely BRILLIANT movie to live up to the hype surrounding it.

Why would he be nervous? At the very least he'd be confident that it can't be worse than the last trilogy It's a safe "second place" medal he's sitting on. It won't surpass the original trilogy, and easily sail past the NuTrilogy Lucas hurled up.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."