"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

The official White House YouTube channel just put out this video called Violence in Video Games.

Let's see here... I see Wolfenstein (The game about killing Nazi scumbags), Sniper Elite (fighting Nazis), Dead by Daylight (Friday the 13th game before it was release), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (you know the infamous scene, the one where you can skip it and that ironically enough ends with you being killed by the bad guys anyways), Fallout 4 (they tried real hard to find something that makes it look like you're attacking a "normal" person), and The Evil Within (a game where you're stuck inside your own mind and fighting off dangerous monsters).

...okay then. I be more impressed if Hatred was actually shown, but you know, it won't. Also, a lot of these are axe and knife kills. Either way, propaganda video.

Rebel that Rebels BeastieRunner's Avatar

School shooting in Alabama at a high school, 1 dead, 1 injured.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    School shooting in Alabama at a high school, 1 dead, 1 injured.
    A second, or is this the one that happened recently? Birmingham?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    The official White House YouTube channel just put out this video called Violence in Video Games.

Let's see here... I see Wolfenstein (The game about killing Nazi scumbags), Sniper Elite (fighting Nazis), Dead by Daylight (Friday the 13th game before it was release), Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (you know the infamous scene, the one where you can skip it and that ironically enough ends with you being killed by the bad guys anyways), Fallout 4 (they tried real hard to find something that makes it look like you're attacking a "normal" person), and The Evil Within (a game where you're stuck inside your own mind and fighting off dangerous monsters).

...okay then. I be more impressed if Hatred was actually shown, but you know, it won't. Also, a lot of these are axe and knife kills. Either way, propaganda video.
    Alright, well if not a blanket ban, what is Trump proposing? We already have a rating system in place and people who are told not to sell to people below the age limit. What's more is that showing a bunch of kill scenes is about as valid as horror movies being a training system for serial killers. The video does not show how players get to that point or the context so much as its interested in showing random acts of violence. I could just as easily string together a video of the Government telling lies during conferences and say that the government is a complete liar.

At the end of the day the video doesn't tell you anything beyond the title; "Violence in Video Games". All this video does is just string together violence that if it didn't come with knowing about Trump's current hate of games you would genuinely think it was a mistake on the upload.

The video is bunk
    The context requires a knowledge on something prior with no link to the recent Florida tragedy
    The video also presents no data on violent video games and statistics linking them to school shooters

What's more is how broad this could be. Is Star Wars now a dirty word? What about a superhero game like the Incredible Hulk, where your goal is to destroy as much of a city as possible in some scenarios. What about games like Punch out, that's violent but does it teach kids to box? Or are we strictly focusing on guns? If so, why are we not depriving kids of obtaining ghost guns through legal loopholes or AR-15 raffles?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Alright, well if not a blanket ban, what is Trump proposing? We already have a rating system in place and people who are told not to sell to people below the age limit. What's more is that showing a bunch of kill scenes is about as valid as horror movies being a training system for serial killers. The video does not show how players get to that point or the context so much as its interested in showing random acts of violence. I could just as easily string together a video of the Government telling lies during conferences and say that the government is a complete liar.

At the end of the day the video doesn't tell you anything beyond the title; "Violence in Video Games". All this video does is just string together violence that if it didn't come with knowing about Trump's current hate of games you would genuinely think it was a mistake on the upload.

The video is bunk
    The context requires a knowledge on something prior with no link to the recent Florida tragedy
    The video also presents no data on violent video games and statistics linking them to school shooters

What's more is how broad this could be. Is Star Wars now a dirty word? What about a superhero game like the Incredible Hulk, where your goal is to destroy as much of a city as possible in some scenarios. What about games like Punch out, that's violent but does it teach kids to box? Or are we strictly focusing on guns? If so, why are we not depriving kids of obtaining ghost guns through legal loopholes or AR-15 raffles?
    It's not about videogames at all. There is no proposal involving videogames on the table, nor as anyone called for any change.
    This is deflection, pure and simple. "Guns don't kill people, violent media kills people. So let's stop talking about guns."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    It's not about videogames at all. There is no proposal involving videogames on the table, nor as anyone called for any change.
    This is deflection, pure and simple. "Guns don't kill people, violent media kills people. So let's stop talking about guns."
    Exactly, after making a big show of supposedly wanting to do something about gun laws, Trump folded immediately when the NRA frowned at him. So now he has to pretend that bringing up video game violence is somehow addressing the problem of mass shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Because at this point I think there are basically two choices -- support the Democrats or support the Republicans.

I know there are grey areas between the two (libertarians, blue dogs, Nader, Stein, Bernie, etc) but this isn't the time for engaging in the same kind of stupidity as we did during the last election -- pick a side and move forward.

Get the people back in power who you know at least want to give you the right to choose -- not the ones who are actively working to take away your rights (abortion, marijuana, whatever) -- and then work out the details: the stakes are just too high now to play the same games we did before Trump was elected.

And that's why I'm not going to debate this -- I was an independent before, but now I've made my choice.
    One quick thing that needs to be addressed here...

Framing legalization as a "Rights" issue when the bigger picture contains an opioid crisis where daily overdoses are clearly in "Crisis" territory just doesn't cut it. In the current climate, legalization absolutely could save lives. Choosing not to frame it in those terms is completely unacceptable.

While I know that may not have been the intention of this post, that is how it looks when you read it over.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly, after making a big show of supposedly wanting to do something about gun laws, Trump folded immediately when the NRA frowned at him. So now he has to pretend that bringing up video game violence is somehow addressing the problem of mass shootings.
    For someone who publicly chastised Senator Pat Toomey (PA) as being afraid of the NRA, Trump quickly tucked his tail between his legs and kowtowed after Wayne LaPierre told him to cease and desist with any talk about gun laws. Stevie Wonder could see the naked hypocrisy behind what Trump is doing, falling back on the tired old trope about videogames as the source of all evil in the world.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Exactly, it's why I was so critical of the video. There is no correlation beyond Trump's stance on the subject which is not put into the video or its description. Apparently the video was shown at the White House today when he brought the game people in for that meeting. For some reason he asked the industry people to censor themselves.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Exactly, it's why I was so critical of the video. There is no correlation beyond Trump's stance on the subject which is not put into the video or its description. Apparently the video was shown at the White House today when he brought the game people in for that meeting. For some reason he asked the industry people to censor themselves.
    Hahaha omg hes trying to promote actual censorship...I can't wait to see the response from certain corners of the interwebs.

I guess we are the only country that plays video games?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I guess we are the only country that plays video games?
    Distraction -- plain and simple.

Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has reportedly heard testimony that appears at odds with answers Blackwater founder Erik Prince gave to the House Intelligence Committee about a meeting he attended with a Russian executive before President Trump's inauguration.
    A witness has told Mueller's team that Prince hadn’t been introduced to a Russian businessman by associates from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), contradicting Prince’s testimony, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
    George Nader, a UAE adviser who has emerged as a key figure in Mueller’s probe, told Mueller that the UAE officials at the meeting in Seychelles didn’t introduce Prince and Russian executive Kirill Dmitriev, as Prince had stated.
    Prince, who founded the private security company formerly known as Blackwater, had testified before the House Intelligence Committee that the meeting was by chance and had been set up by an UAE official.
    http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...h-erik-princes

I want to see Erik Prince behind bars too. Given the sheer evil of the guy and his involvement in so many horrible things, he deserves it. I mean, hell, Prince was the one involved in the idea of Trump's 'private intelligence' army.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One quick thing that needs to be addressed here...

Framing legalization as a "Rights" issue when the bigger picture contains an opioid crisis where daily overdoses are clearly in "Crisis" territory just doesn't cut it. In the current climate, legalization absolutely could save lives. Choosing not to frame it in those terms is completely unacceptable.

While I know that may not have been the intention of this post, that is how it looks when you read it over.
    There would be clear benefits to legalization. A specific problem with the opioid crisis is that fentanyl is so potent it's difficult to mix properly. If opiods were legal, there would probably be less overdoses, since the material would be made at a higher standard.

But it would come with some disadvantages as well. When things are legal, more people are going to try them. For example, when prohibition ended, a happy outcome was that less people died of alcohol poisoning since they no longer had to rely on moonshine. But alcohol consumption increased, and more people would die of the long-term ailments (IE= cirrhosis of the liver.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I'm thinking this is more of a threat than Russia. Not saying Russia didn't help. But I don't think Americans are incapable of making up their minds based on some foreign sources.

With that said. We're pretty blind when it comes to our own mess. Enter: SINCLAIR BROADCASTING, Right arm of the Right Wing in this country. Literally using Political Correctness. ( The ACTUAL Version, not the crap ANTI-SJW SJW's cry about.)
    To spread their doctrine to those weak of mind, especially in the South and Middle of America, you know the "REAL" America... Lol.

Is always confused.....

My Name is Psylocke, "Stabby stabby pew pew!"

My Psylocke stories at Fanfiction.net (ignore the editing, it's bad on purpose) https://www.fanfiction.net/~tazirai
    My better edited versions on Comicvine. Just check profile and my forum posts in fan fiction section. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/tazirai/