Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The odds that you can get that party to do so is almost zero. Having an oversight mechanism that might reduce sexual misconduct is probably the best that can be made of this particular bad situation.
    How would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    How would that work?
    One guy's take...

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/16/56422...-the-civil-war

Make it so that is not longer the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I don't agree. However, my husband's theory is that the Democrats are sacrificing Al Frankin in order to improve their chances of getting rid of Roy Moore, one way or another. Basically they are making themselves the 'He who is without sin' so that they can cast the first stone at Moore and eventually at Trump.
    It's partly that, but I do think quite a few Democrats legitimately believe that Franken's offenses disqualified him from office. The political convenience (IE- keeping a Senate seat while signalling against Trump and Moore) makes it easier to come to that conclusion, but doesn't mean they're only doing it for that reason.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's partly that, but I do think quite a few Democrats legitimately believe that Franken's offenses disqualified him from office. The political convenience (IE- keeping a Senate seat while signalling against Trump and Moore) makes it easier to come to that conclusion, but doesn't mean they're only doing it for that reason.
    It also did not help that his explanation amounted to "I don't really remember. Could be."

Female lieutenant governor expected to replace Franken if he resigns

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-smith-211125

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is expected to appoint his lieutenant governor and close ally, Tina Smith, to Al Franken’s seat if the Democratic senator resigns on Thursday, three people familiar with the Democratic governor’s thinking said.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It also did not help that his explanation amounted to "I don't really remember. Could be."
    For as much heat as Jeff Sessions caught for using that excuse during testimony he gave regarding the Russia investigation, Franken can’t be given a pass for the same thing. While I hate to see Franken forced to resign, this is clearly a gots to go situation as the Dems can’t maintain anything remotely resembling the moral high ground and rail at the GOP for being in bed with Roy Moore while Franken hangs over their heads.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The final accusations could also have been too much.

There's an argument for forgiving one or two lapses in judgement, but when there are eight accusers coming forward in three weeks, the situation changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Female lieutenant governor expected to replace Franken if he resigns

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...e-smith-211125
    Horse race time.

By all accounts, Tina Smith would not be interested in running for election as Senator, so she would simply be a placeholder. There would still be an open Democratic primary, at around the same time as a gubernatorial race that has drawn in a Senator, and the state auditor (the state attorney general is also interested.)

It would also mean an open election in a swing state.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The final accusations could also have been too much.

There's an argument for forgiving one or two lapses in judgement, but when there are eight accusers coming forward in three weeks, the situation changes.
    True, but if the governor was a Republican, I'm thinking Franken would be be around until voted out. Neither party is going to give up a seat if they can avoid it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

VA cuts program for homeless vets after touting Trump's commitment https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...s-trump-207781

To add to this HUD's Annual Homeless Assessment Report show that in 2017, both overall homelessness and homelessness among veterans increased for the first time in 7 years https://www.hudexchange.info/resourc...HAR-Part-1.pdf

Spectacular Member

The Voice Star Melanie Martinez Denies Rape Allegations From Her Former Friend

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/the-v...legations.html

The odds that you can get that party to do so is almost zero. Having an oversight mechanism that might reduce sexual misconduct is probably the best that can be made of this particular bad situation.
    That's because they know they can still win elections despite this. The Republican Party needs to be rebranded as the Pedophile Party until they do so. One of my fb friends posted this the other day wrt Roy Moore and conservatives as a whole still being OK with him:

Group
    Of
    Pedophiles

I almost fell off my chair! Thinking about putting it on a bumper sticker.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Ryan pledges 'entitlement reform' in 2018

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/36...mpression=true

Republicans are running on cutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.

Yes. Really...

Would the appointee of the Minnesota Governor serve the rest of Franken's term until 2020, or only until a special election in 2018?

Yes. Really...
    Well, they have to pay for those huge tax cuts somehow...

Yes. Really...
    I'm always shocked, considering the Republican base skews older, that the Republicans can be so brazen about this.

But then again, it's a solid bet that even if these things are gutted older Americans will turn out in large numbers vote Republicans then blame liberals for why their care sucks now.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!